The Student Room Group

Driving a convertible during first year ? 'Too Much?' (Photos included)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheSownRose
Ok, so we now know you're a troll who wants to be rich.

This isn't a rich person's car. A 6k car isn't a 'rich' amount to spend on a second car.

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen
This isn't a rich person's car. A 6k car isn't a 'rich' amount to spend on a second car.

That's why I said appear rich. :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
I still drive my first car. 1998 Ford Ka, a good 150k on the clock, brake problems, tyre problems, air intake problems, been bent round a telegraph pole, on about its third exhaust pipe... would probably buy me something like half the headlamp of that monstrosity up there.

Of course it's too much. You live in London, for heaven's sake - how are you going to pay for ANYTHING else if the car already costs you £6-9k?

Some people astound me. You're a girl, as well, you don't need to have a car and look all impressive. Spend your savings on having a good time in London, where the cost of a pint approaches £5. I came to uni with £4,000 and what with one thing and another that's halved now; all I've got to show for it is a skiing holiday and a few pots and pans. I haven't even gone all out on the drinks.
It seems a bit pointless to me when the traffic is always so congested, infuriating and expensive in London, but each to their own. If I was in your position I'd rather save the money and go travelling with it after uni, after putting some aside to start a deposit for a flat or house. But then I'm not interested in cars at all. It depends where your priorities lie, I suppose.

You might be judged, yes. But ultimately it's your attitude that will make the greatest impression. If you come across as snobbish and spoilt, then yes people will use the fact you have a fancy car to back up their negative impressions of you. If you come across as friendly and hard-working then they'll overlook the car, or even think that it shows how good you are at saving money.
Reply 24
Owning a car when in Central London, is one of the stupidest things you can do. So they will laugh at you for that. Also, make it clear to them that you worked for the car (Even though you only kind of did). People hate kids who have their parents credit card thrown at them.
Original post by Elipsis
I think you would be less judged if you drove a convertible Audi/Mini at uni than that car. Perhaps your view has been quite distorted by pining for this car for so long, it is absolutely grotesque. I think your biggest problem will be the rah's judging you rather than the poorer students, who could quite possibly be quite in awe of such a vehicle. I honestly have no idea why you have fallen in love with a car that was designed and aimed at the 40+ reasonably successful hairdresser demographic. I mean why not go the whole hog and get a pair of fake D&G sunglasses, a cheap spray tan and a pair of Pineapple jogging bottoms?

This made me laugh and let me tell you why, my friends dad who is the manager at Toni & Guy in Farringdon DRIVES THIS CAR! LOOL. He doesn't have fake D&G glasses though he wears armani suits every day! but your mention of successful hairdresser made me laugh.

I don't care about rah's if I'm honest I'm from Chesire orginally and went to one of the public schools which seemed to attract rich 'Essex' people and have always found rah's like to call people like us 'new money' or 'rich chavs' so I'm not particularly interested in rah's and don't think I will be forging any friend ships with many.
Only thing you might want to think about is when are you going to get the roof down in this Great British weather? On the other hand, the weather is probably nicer down in London than Scotland... :frown:
Original post by TheSownRose
That's why I said appear rich. :wink:

LOL. You're a joke. You need to get off this site with your ridiculous amounts of posts.I'm not interested in appearing rich, whatever that looks like, I went to a private school which was full of essex girls who were 'rich' but for some reason everyone in 'rah' land thought looked 'cheap' no matter the millions in their father's pockets. Appearing rich is subjective as a man dressed in plain clothing could be a millionaire and a man in designer clothes could be poor. There is no such thing as 'appearing rich'.
Reply 28
Forgive me for asking but how old are you?
Original post by Arekkusu
I still drive my first car. 1998 Ford Ka, a good 150k on the clock, brake problems, tyre problems, air intake problems, been bent round a telegraph pole, on about its third exhaust pipe... would probably buy me something like half the headlamp of that monstrosity up there.

Of course it's too much. You live in London, for heaven's sake - how are you going to pay for ANYTHING else if the car already costs you £6-9k?

Some people astound me. You're a girl, as well, you don't need to have a car and look all impressive. Spend your savings on having a good time in London, where the cost of a pint approaches £5. I came to uni with £4,000 and what with one thing and another that's halved now; all I've got to show for it is a skiing holiday and a few pots and pans. I haven't even gone all out on the drinks.

The car isn't a problem, it's part of my birthday present.
My living and tuition costs won't affect my birthday present.

:smile:

Soooooo what do you suggest I spend my savings on? I'm going Bangkok this summer already and New York in October there is nothing else!!!
Reply 30
I fail to understand why you'd need a car when you're going to a uni in Central London... :/

Unless you plan on living quite far away, even still... driving in London is horrid, expensive and something I would do anything to avoid. It'd be much easier (and cheaper) to take your car/congestion charge budget and just use public transport/your legs.
Original post by Lil2wkd
Forgive me for asking but how old are you?

19! :biggrin:
Original post by draikzer
I fail to understand why you'd need a car when you're going to a uni in Central London... :/

Unless you plan on living quite far away, even still... driving in London is horrid, expensive and something I would do anything to avoid. It'd be much easier (and cheaper) to take your car/congestion charge budget and just use public transport/your legs.

I lived in Cheshire whilst working in London through this gap year and have driven to work everyday.

I'm used to driving in London.

I hate the tube, it makes me feel hot and sick. Buses are just blah.
Reply 33
UCL's campus is pretty small, and halls aren't far away. It's simply not worth the £10 per day congestion charge and then the £5 per hour charge for parking (think that's the price on University Street).

So you're wasting your time. It isn't even a posers car. You can't show off with a car like that.
Original post by PJ991
UCL's campus is pretty small, and halls aren't far away. It's simply not worth the £10 per day congestion charge and then the £5 per hour charge for parking (think that's the price on University Street).

So you're wasting your time. It isn't even a posers car. You can't show off with a car like that.

I'm not living in halls, I'm flat sharing.
Reply 35
6k is too much for a second car at the age of 19. When i worked full time thats more than what I had to spend on myself!
I lived in Cheshire whilst working in London through this gap year and have driven to work everyday.

I'm used to driving in London.

I hate the tube, it makes me feel hot and sick. Buses are just blah.

Erm i live in Cheshire, the drive to London is like what, 4 hours? And you did that everyday? You must of got up quite early :redface:

And haha i couldn't help smiling at how 6k wasn't much for a second car, I think our family car cost 4k and that's my parents what 6th car? :awesome:
Reply 37
I'm not living in halls, I'm flat sharing.

you're still not going to be absolutely miles away.
Original post by Chris12002
Erm i live in Cheshire, the drive to London is like what, 4 hours? And you did that everyday? You must of got up quite early :redface:

And haha i couldn't help smiling at how 6k wasn't much for a second car, I think our family car cost 4k and that's my parents what 6th car? :awesome:

It took me 3 :smile: My dad works in London too 3 out of 5 days so he would drive me monday- wednesday I'd drive myself thursday and friday.

I volunteered at amnesty international and my role was important to me I started work at 10 and would leave at 7

6k isn't THAT much, I don't think at all.
You'll never use it. Driving in London is dreadful at the best of times, and are you staying in Halls? If you are, your not going to have a cat in hells chance of parking the thing. Silly idea.

Quick Reply