The Student Room Group

Driving a convertible during first year ? 'Too Much?' (Photos included)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen

There might be a few people who spite you because they're jealous, but I wouldn't worry about them. I'd say you could make friends by driving people around, but I wouldn't fancy being driven around in that car, it's a bit erm, 'hairdressery'. For £6k you could get something much nicer!
Reply 61
That's a funny car :smile:
To be honest mate I think people will take to you better if anything!?

You'll come across people with equally nice cars I don't think it'll change a thing to be honest!!
Original post by jjarvis

Original post by jjarvis
I'd be more worried about affording parking in central London at all as a student. Are you going to pay the congestion charge? My guess is most London students don't have cars at all. I don't think anyone will pick on you, though.

How come you are doing an undergraduate degree at Cambridge if you have already done an undergraduate degree at Edinburgh?? Are you allowed to do that?? You must inform me, as I like to have wide ranges of options!! Thanks :h:
Reply 64
Yeah I've added congestion charge to my budget :smile:

Wtf! Is it really worth £10(?) a day to drive to uni when buses/tubes are so easy to use and much cheaper? I don't even know where there is cheap parking near UCL...
I know nobody who drives, even the commuters :P
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 65
People will always judge so don't let them stop you getting that car. Haters gonna hate.
Reply 66
It took me 3 :smile: My dad works in London too 3 out of 5 days so he would drive me monday- wednesday I'd drive myself thursday and friday.

I volunteered at amnesty international and my role was important to me I started work at 10 and would leave at 7

6k isn't THAT much, I don't think at all.

Unless your Dad was working in a Starbucks, why didn't your family just move closer to London?

And......how did you get involved with Amnesty International may I ask?
Reply 67
Dont see a problem at all!

If you've got the chance to get this car just buy it, its not as if your coming into uni in a Ferrari or a Porsche it still a only a Peugeot :smile:

Might end up with a few nasty comments but its worth it if you feel good about yourself
Do you really need a car if you're at UCL? You'll be in London, so surely would be much better of you just got an oyster card? Also, wouldn't it be better to wait til after uni to buy a decent car, or just buy a cheaper one now, and use the money to pay off your loan at the end???
Reply 69
Where the **** do you plan on driving in C. London?
Reply 70
You wont need it, and it will probably get damaged in the uni car park.
Original post by jjarvis
I'd be more worried about affording parking in central London at all as a student. Are you going to pay the congestion charge? My guess is most London students don't have cars at all. I don't think anyone will pick on you, though.

This.

On another note unless this car is wrapped around your sense of ego and not having it would shatter you, I'd be more worried about affording general day to day things while in uni.

Just because students are famous for living on the cheap doesn't = student life is cheap.

There is a reason why 9p own brand super noodles sell well in student areas and it isn't because people genuinely like them.
:rofl: wtf is that?

If you want to show off, get a nice car at least.
they're probably just more likely to want to nab lifts, tbh :P
i had a couple friends with cars at uni, and if they didn't show off about it, it was great! lifts to go food shopping or to the cinema = great idea :wink:

ps. jealoussss LOVE the car!
Reply 74
Does it really matter what other people are going to think? Dear lord, just get the car...
Original post by adam_zed
Unless your Dad was working in a Starbucks, why didn't your family just move closer to London?

And......how did you get involved with Amnesty International may I ask?

Because we love living in Cheshire and he doesn't mind driving in Central London.
He is a doctor in private practice, he only works 3 days a week.

In regards to Amnesty International how else does one volunteer with a non profit organisation? Seems a no brainer to me.
It's not exactly a big flashy car, if people have problems with somebody because their car's roof can go down they are retarded.
Original post by Escriba
Does it really matter what other people are going to think? Dear lord, just get the car...

I don't think you read my post well, I personally couldn't care less about other what people think, but now are abit iffy.
Original post by iainthegreat
There might be a few people who spite you because they're jealous, but I wouldn't worry about them. I'd say you could make friends by driving people around, but I wouldn't fancy being driven around in that car, it's a bit erm, 'hairdressery'. For £6k you could get something much nicer!

Any other ideas? :redface:
Reply 79
I dont get it. Your driving a 6k car to University? Alot of people at my college have 10k+ cars

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending