The Student Room Group

Driving a convertible during first year ? 'Too Much?' (Photos included)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen
OMG thats my NIGHTMARE!! :biggrin:
Whenever I wear like heels and a dress and tights on the tube people always look at me :frown:

Seriously? I work in Canary Wharf, and see girls in heels, dresses and tights every day. You get both banker chicks dressing up for work and girls in skimpy dresses trying to bag a banker on Friday night. It's pretty normal.

Even the really rich, really posh girls I know didn't own cars as students in London, they just used taxis everywhere. With over £7k a year in insurance, not to mention the congestion charge, it'll work out cheaper if you really won't use public transport. Though that would mark you out hugely as a student in London, because everyone uses it.

Original post by Helenia
My boyfriend's more into that sort of thing - for me it's all about zooming along country roads, where it just feels so alive!

I'm into both!

Original post by TShadow383
They're addictive aren't they? :biggrin:
My new technique for coming out of some of the big A-road roundabouts near me is now like this:

-1: into the roundabout, second gear
-2: get to exit
-3: check I'm clear
-4: FLOOR IT
-5: Realise I'm doing 65 in second gear
-6: up to fifth, get back down to the 50 limit :tongue:

Endless fun :biggrin:

:yy: Though I almost slid the back out once when the bend was particularly sharp and the road was still wet. Such a joy to drive.

Original post by TShadow383
When I'm not at uni, I'm in the shetland islands.

Had some epic drives there in it in the week when it wasn't icy over the winter. Going 30+ miles on a large, open single carriageway which twists and turns through the valleys and such and not seeing a single other car at 10 at night is quite a wonderful thing :biggrin:

:eek: I remember being driven through Shetland and never seeing anyone. One of my relatives stopped going to his local supermarket because they put a roundabout outside and he'd never seen one before.
If you're insisting on buying a convertible for Uni at least buy a decent one. Get a 2nd hand MX-5 it's a quicker better looking more fuel efficient and all round nicer car.

It may look like a hairdressers car but the 207cc looks like the hairdresser's receptionist's car. They also drive like a pig and have the acceleration equivalent to that of a fat bloke on a pushbike going up a steep hill.
Reply 162
Im starting uni this year and will be taking my rubbish hairdresser style convertible with me. I looked at selling it for an old banger but its not worth it. Im aware i probably wont use it and it will be parked in some dodgy road with free parking. I have no intention of flaunting it.
I think its too much if you go around making a point of your car and making out its something amazing which obviously to you it will be but to others probably not. I'd still buy your car as a treat to yourself but just dont make a big deal about it.
Original post by Drogue
:eek: I remember being driven through Shetland and never seeing anyone. One of my relatives stopped going to his local supermarket because they put a roundabout outside and he'd never seen one before.

Lol, yes, the local council only started using roundabouts in the late 90s or something, so a few of the locals had never seen one before.

It's worth a visit though, just for roads like this one:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=tingwall&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hl=en&hq=&hnear=Tingwall,+Orkney+Islands,+United+Kingdom&ll=60.20281,-1.233044&spn=0.067305,0.32959&t=h&z=13&layer=c&cbll=60.203576,-1.233088&panoid=vtSLb9DQRvKhFjaJ_SxoVA&cbp=12,0,,0,5

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=tingwall&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hl=en&hq=&hnear=Tingwall,+Orkney+Islands,+United+Kingdom&ll=60.42131,-1.223259&spn=0.13439,0.65918&t=h&z=12&layer=c&cbll=60.42106,-1.223785&panoid=-JisXz0OHEEZiJy_RNopBQ&cbp=12,57.09,,0,9.73
Reply 164
Original post by donuticus
If you're insisting on buying a convertible for Uni at least buy a decent one. Get a 2nd hand MX-5 it's a quicker better looking more fuel efficient and all round nicer car.

It may look like a hairdressers car but the 207cc looks like the hairdresser's receptionist's car. They also drive like a pig and have the acceleration equivalent to that of a fat bloke on a pushbike going up a steep hill.

:rofl:

I keep meaning to go back, but haven't had a chance for ages. Will have to take the car on a roadtrip sometime when Helenia can get time off. Though those roads need some bends for an MX5...
Original post by Drogue
I keep meaning to go back, but haven't had a chance for ages. Will have to take the car on a roadtrip sometime when Helenia can get time off. Though those roads need some bends for an MX5...

The properly twisty stuff is all full of elevation changes.
Makes it a hell of a lot of fun to drive, but means you can't see much of the road in streetview a lot of the time.
No student in London has a car, especially in the first year, when you normally get accommodation in halls near the uni. It seems like an expensive, silly idea

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending