Essay Advice (please): NSMs & Political Participation Watch

OliT
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello guys and girls, new on the forum and rather desperate for some guidance on writing a 3000 word essay about New Social Movements and Political Participation. The question I've selected is:

"Assess whether or not new social movements permit many more people to participate in the political process than might otherwise do so?"

Is there anyone with any knowledge of this topic area who would be willing to offer some few tips and pointers in breaking down the question and organising and outlining an essay plan please?

Would love some help asap (Thurs pm deadline). Thanks
OliT
Rep:
?
i.e. main points? areas to focus on?. Thanks again.
Plonk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by OliT)
i.e. main points? areas to focus on?. Thanks again.
Points I would make:
- Public apathy with regards to traditional forms of politics are decreasing, for example, voter turnout at general elections is decreasing, as is membership of political parties.
- At the same time as this, membership of pressure groups and new social movements is increasing (dealignment), especially amongst younger people.
- New social movements use different forms of protest (some use direct action) that seem more attractive to people.
- I would use the recent student protests as an example of this, in particular the university occupations, as this was something that hadn't been seen on that scale for years.
- New social movements like the student movement often use social media to get their message across, which allows them to reach people who may not normally be politically active or interested in politics. Examples include the pressure group UKuncut, which I would class as part pressure group, part NSM.

Hope this is helpful, I'll try and think of more when I'm not hugely tired.
OliT
Rep:
?
Thanks a bunch, I mean it . Anything else would be a sweet bonus! Very thankful. For me it's an awkward topic that I know so very little about.
OliT
Rep:
?
Plonk, could you just clear something up for me, i'm confused about one of your points. It's your first point about apathy. I'm confused as it seems contradictory. You said public apathy is decreasing yet you also say voter turn out is decreasing. I know you said you were tired . Thanks.
Plonk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by OliT)
Plonk, could you just clear something up for me, i'm confused about one of your points. It's your first point about apathy. I'm confused as it seems contradictory. You said public apathy is decreasing yet you also say voter turn out is decreasing. I know you said you were tired . Thanks.
Clearly I was tired, I meant to write increasing. So it should actually read "Public apathy with regards to traditional forms of politics is increasing, for example, voter turnout at general elections is decreasing, as is membership of political parties."

Oh, and I'm glad you found that useful. I would probably enjoy writing an essay like the one you've been set for (what I assume is) Sociology.
OliT
Rep:
?
:five: Aw Plonk, I thought so. In that case you're more than welcome to help me write it. They demand it be 3000 words in length. In your personal opinion do you think I need some more points?
Plonk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What are you writing it for?

The question asks you to "assess" whether or not new social movements permit many more people to participate in the political process than might otherwise do so. So you would probably need one or two points to balance out what I said earlier. However, I can't think of any at all.
elizatuesday
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what is the political process?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (33)
7.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (262)
58.88%
No (150)
33.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed