Essay Advice (please): NSMs & Political Participation Watch
"Assess whether or not new social movements permit many more people to participate in the political process than might otherwise do so?"
Is there anyone with any knowledge of this topic area who would be willing to offer some few tips and pointers in breaking down the question and organising and outlining an essay plan please?
Would love some help asap (Thurs pm deadline). Thanks
- Public apathy with regards to traditional forms of politics are decreasing, for example, voter turnout at general elections is decreasing, as is membership of political parties.
- At the same time as this, membership of pressure groups and new social movements is increasing (dealignment), especially amongst younger people.
- New social movements use different forms of protest (some use direct action) that seem more attractive to people.
- I would use the recent student protests as an example of this, in particular the university occupations, as this was something that hadn't been seen on that scale for years.
- New social movements like the student movement often use social media to get their message across, which allows them to reach people who may not normally be politically active or interested in politics. Examples include the pressure group UKuncut, which I would class as part pressure group, part NSM.
Hope this is helpful, I'll try and think of more when I'm not hugely tired.
Plonk, could you just clear something up for me, i'm confused about one of your points. It's your first point about apathy. I'm confused as it seems contradictory. You said public apathy is decreasing yet you also say voter turn out is decreasing. I know you said you were tired . Thanks.
Oh, and I'm glad you found that useful. I would probably enjoy writing an essay like the one you've been set for (what I assume is) Sociology.
The question asks you to "assess" whether or not new social movements permit many more people to participate in the political process than might otherwise do so. So you would probably need one or two points to balance out what I said earlier. However, I can't think of any at all.