CIDR Notation Watch

This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
For you computer scientists is thier an easy way to learn this? I keep reading my notes but don't understand it at all.
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
For you computer scientists is thier an easy way to learn this? I keep reading my notes but don't understand it at all.
sorry, I cant be of any use to you, but you made me find out what CIDR is because of this thread. thank you!
jediknight007
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dickie)
sorry, I cant be of any use to you, but you made me find out what CIDR is because of this thread. thank you!
Due to trying to find out what the hell this interesting notation was, I stumbled along this:

Classless Inter Domain Routing (CIDR) is a method for assigning IP addresses without using the standard IP address classes like Class A, Class B or Class C.

In CIDR notation, an IP address is represented as A.B.C.D /n, where "/n" is called the IP prefix or network prefix. The IP prefix identifies the number of significant bits used to identify a network. For example, 192.9.205.22 /18 means, the first 18 bits are used to represent the network and the remaining 14 bits are used to identify hosts. Common prefixes are 8, 16, 24, and 32.

I can see why you are confused! :confused:
AT82
Rep:
?
Hehe well I have an exam in it all next week. Its all do with how finding out how many hosts are allowed by converting the IP address into its raw binary form. The formula is 2nsq - N but now sure exactly how to apply that to the IP.

My exam is only with about 1.25% of my degree and I know a lot most of it already so I may be able to get away with not learning this.
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hehe well I have an exam in it all next week. Its all do with how finding out how many hosts are allowed by converting the IP address into its raw binary form. The formula is 2nsq - N but now sure exactly how to apply that to the IP.

My exam is only with about 1.25% of my degree and I know a lot most of it already so I may be able to get away with not learning this.
what degree is it? what else does it cover?
sounds interesting
AT82
Rep:
?
what degree is it? what else does it cover?
sounds interesting
Its called Multiemedia and Internet Technology but has slightly more academic modules than some of the multimedia degrees this why they make us learn all this networking stuff in great detail. It covers everything form advanced networking to creating DV films and broadcasting them over the internet using new technologies such as IPV6. There are some business modules too but I would rather do extra computing modules instead such as learning Linux. We've also done C++ programming (at application level rather than mathematical theory), VB, ASP, PHP, SQL etc. Also there are graphics design modules which I tend to only scrape though such as photoshop, flash, director etc.

Also thanks Jedi for that link, it makes a little more sense to me now. My lecture notes are in woffely computer science geek speek.
jediknight007
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Also thanks Jedi for that link, it makes a little more sense to me now. My lecture notes are in woffely computer science geek speek.
What link? Now I'm confused even more! :confused:
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by jediknight007)
What link? Now I'm confused even more! :confused:
Sorry I am tired I just meant your post.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (145)
45.74%
Pro-humanity (172)
54.26%

Watched Threads