This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
A friend of mine is considering applying for a history degree, she has a wee issue in that she's finding the alevel very very dull, but has heard that history isn't that dull generally. Perhaps somebody (would particularly love to hear from somebody at Oxbridge) could tell us about the history course, if it's interesting, how they found the alevel in comparison, etc etc.
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
A friend of mine is considering applying for a history degree, she has a wee issue in that she's finding the alevel very very dull, but has heard that history isn't that dull generally. Perhaps somebody (would particularly love to hear from somebody at Oxbridge) could tell us about the history course, if it's interesting, how they found the alevel in comparison, etc etc.

Well i applied to Oxford because I particularly liked their course. I think it's flexible and will be very interesting.
Tell your friend to check out this page:

http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/prosunde...es/modhist.htm

She will see for herself that Alevel History and History at university has the potential to be a very different experience!
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I study History. Not at Oxbridge though.
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
this won't really help but I'll say it anyways...
I always figured I would study history but then I took IB history HL and it is soooo God damn boring!!! I ended up not applying for it, but everyone I have talked to says that it different at uni. Talk to Kildare.
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was put off doing history at Uni after the A Level as well. So boring.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You shouldn't be put off. I wasn't and I did Tudor history throughout yr 13. There is so much more choice at Uni
katini
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I found that GCSE History really put me off ever studying the subject again but then due to timetabling issues etc I took it for A-level. I did 3 modules of French history (1589-1715 with focus of two modules on Louis XIV) and 3 modules of English history (Charles I, civil war and regicide, then the Protectorate and then Restoration England). These modules gave me loads of food for thought and I've ended up with lots of things that interest me enough to want to study them at degree level.
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I loved GCSE history, but I only took it for A level because Government and Politics wasn't running that year. We learn the same stuff as GCSE, but it's so much more boring.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Cheers, you're all being wonderful.
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you don't like it for A-level then i really wouldn't do it for degree level, it's a bit of a risk........
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A-level History was really boring at times, but I'd say the interesting bits outweighed the boring things. Sometimes I found myself wondering if I really wanted to study it at uni. Tell your friend there's always going to be boring topics that she will have to study, but if she's motivated enough to plough her way through these then she'll be able to enjoy the interesting things. In the 3rd year she'll get a lot of choice in what she wants to study in depth.

The History course at Cambridge is excellent, she should ask for a course prospectus.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
IB History HL can indeed be very boring (except the Religon and the State topic which is just brilliant). I think the only way to really find out is to read plenty, both on the philosophy of history and on some historical topics which she find particularly interesting. I would never have dreamed of applying for history a year of so ago, now I can't imagine myself studying anything else.
MurphysMoment.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm an a Mancunian Historian however right now I prefer Politics.
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
this won't really help but I'll say it anyways...
I always figured I would study history but then I took IB history HL and it is soooo God damn boring!!! I ended up not applying for it, but everyone I have talked to says that it different at uni. Talk to Kildare.
Omg same here!!! I had my heart set on studying history since 4th grade (more specifically archeology), and then in step IB HL History.....totally changed my mind because it was so goddamn boring!

I've applied for Psychology now.
innercitylife
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hiya, I'm the friend *huzzah*, thanks for the replies, and thanks lex. =P

I adore History as a subject in general and can get into most topics pretty easily, I'm great at persuading myself that things are interesting and my interests are wide ranging to start with. The one real problem I have is boring teachers, and that's probably what's more likely to put me off doing a degree I guess, fear of lecturers that will send me to sleep. Just curious.. a couple of you said that the Oxbridge courses were excellent, what're you guys studying at the moment? And what's the course structure like, eg in terms of lectures etc? I love the idea that you can chop and change, that it's supposedly so flexible and was just hoping to get some confirmation on that, and it's not just prospectus lies.

Thanks if anyone can help. :]

Sophi.
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by innercitylife)
Hiya, I'm the friend *huzzah*, thanks for the replies, and thanks lex. =P

I adore History as a subject in general and can get into most topics pretty easily, I'm great at persuading myself that things are interesting and my interests are wide ranging to start with. The one real problem I have is boring teachers, and that's probably what's more likely to put me off doing a degree I guess, fear of lecturers that will send me to sleep. Just curious.. a couple of you said that the Oxbridge courses were excellent, what're you guys studying at the moment? And what's the course structure like, eg in terms of lectures etc? I love the idea that you can chop and change, that it's supposedly so flexible and was just hoping to get some confirmation on that, and it's not just prospectus lies.

Thanks if anyone can help. :]

Sophi.
Nice to meet you I'm not an Oxbridge student, but I applied for History there (got rejected) but maybe I can help you. First, don't worry about lectures: you don't have to go if you don't want. I went to three of them (real ones, not open day lectures) and I found them all very interesting. I think even Oxbridge history students fall asleep in lectures sometimes

I think you get 5 hours of lectures, plus a weekly seminar and a supervision at both Ox and Cam. The course at Cam is divided into two parts and is called a tripos. Part I lasts two years, you have to do exams after that. Part is the 3rd year, you submit a dissertation and so and do the rest of your exams after that. A history students I know there told me: "You can learn anything as long as you can find someone to teach you." The course is flexible, you can change subjects after Part I but you can also do papers from other departments.

I hope this helps. PM me if you want to know more. Try to get hold of both Ox and Cam's history course prospectuses and compare their courses. Also attend open days or just go there on a normal day (like I did). You'll find the students are very helpful and welcoming.
Cacambo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wow, I never realised so many people hated History. I do it at A-level and find it really interesting, and although I'm not pursuing it to degree level, one of the things that attracts me to my course is its historical element.

What I would say about history is that at times it can be hard going, not in terms of difficulty, but in doing all the necessary reading and research. Reading history books can be like reading the sun - most are so poorly written and full of irrelevant details that you have to trawl through pages in order to find that one sentence you need. My sister, a history student at Birmingham, says the same.

True, A-level History is not necessarily indicative of history as a discipline, but it could just be more of the same at university. It really depends on a person's gripe with the subject. If it's the subject matter, that can easily be overcome, particularly with the amount of options you have at degree level. If it's a more fundamental problem with the way History is studied, doing it at university may be a problem.
*Amy*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I love history, but i am finding the A-Level rather tedious -apart from my King Arthur Personal Assignment!

its not put me off, either, and i've applied for it. tell your friend to *really* look around at the different courses, and to decide upon an era that she'd really love to investigate or maybe a couple she could decide on a course with.
charlord
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i kind of applied to read History as a last minute thing!! I was all set to do English and American Literature but somethine stopped me and within 2 days Id sent off a UCAS for history.

Ive only got one offer so far, havent heard from 3 of my choices yet and im slightly worried/questioning why ive even bothered applying to read it.

I think main reasons are the diversity of the degree, if ur lucky enough to go to Cambridge or Oxford (i wasnt) they will pay for you to visit another country and study there. Its one of the few courses where u can pretty much study what you want and I'm sure if i had a few more offers i might be slightly more enthusiastic right now!!!!!

A Level is quite interetsing but probably cus my teacher is actually insane!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
30.43%
No (14)
60.87%
Don't know (2)
8.7%

Watched Threads