This discussion is closed.
ghostkim
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi

I just wondered...
What are the "other" crucial factors we have to consider when applying to a university?

We all know the "basics" (high grades, references etc.)

But
...is there something that could possibly make "us" to stand out of the crowd?

Can anybody share his/her experience?

Sometimes really good students don't get places they deserve and that's not good...

Thank You
Regards

Denis

PS: I've seen something like
...they look at our achievments not where we achieved in... - is it true?
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Try applying really early. If you can get your school to do references immediately after your As results and try and send it off at the beggining of september. All unis should be impressed by your organisational skills.

Musicboy
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sum departments at durham automatically reject all applicants who they belive to have applied to oxbridge, so like in the 1st few weeks with AAA. But not all, at sum unis is seems like they draw them out of a hat, but applying early does help, offers seem to come in two bands those eho applied before oct 15th get all ofers before christmas and those who apply after the 15th get sum before sum after. Thats my experiance anyway.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Extra-curricular activites..and showing a keen interest in the subject you're applying for always help...read around the subject...attend subject realted things like conferences....

Also...try getting work experience related to your subject.

G
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
Extra-curricular activites..and showing a keen interest in the subject you're applying for always help...read around the subject...attend subject realted things like conferences....

Also...try getting work experience related to your subject.

G
I think the interest helped me to get a lower offfer, people i spoke to with the same predicted grades had higher offers than me.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
I think the interest helped me to get a lower offfer, people i spoke to with the same predicted grades had higher offers than me.
Nice..which subject?

G
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Chemistry, BBB for durham, compared to most peoples offers of ABB or AAB, i've read loads of books and basically i spend loads of time on the net or around reading about chem amongst other things.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
Chemistry, BBB for durham, compared to most peoples offers of ABB or AAB, i've read loads of books and basically i spend loads of time on the net or around reading about chem amongst other things.
I applied for law...and while my offers are all standard ones...i doub i'd have got in if i didn't read extra books on law and go to a law conference..

G
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (543)
66.54%
No (273)
33.46%

Watched Threads