Credit card skimming - a rant! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Right, I'm pissed off.

On the 12 of January, driving home from Cheltenham, I stopped to fill up with petrol at a Texaco garage... no worries. Paid my £30 something on Barclaycard and away I went happy as can be. Still no worries. Then I checked my Barclaycard bill when I got home, and was puzzled by another transaction at a different Texaco for £50 something. I presumed it was a mistake made by Texaco. Got in touch with Barclaycard, the transaction went into dispute and is in the process of being dealt with.

Today, trying to buy a train ticket at Manchester Piccadilly, my card is declined. I try again, same problem. So I took out my Royal Bank credit card and it went though. I made a mental note to call Barclaycard when I got home.

Except they beat me to it. I got a call from their fraud squad asking me if in the last few days I'd made x, y and z transactions. These transactions were:

£170 on clothes
£120 on phonecalls and phone credit
£70 on shoes
£120 on petrol

I made none of them. So my card was dutifully cancelled, and I will not be liable to pay any of the costs.

But somewhere, some ******* spent a week pretending to be me, walking round Manchester and Bolton spending my money. It's an infuriating thought. He won't get caught, and now my card will not be accepted he will have moved on to his next victim, maybe you. Crime is a horrible thing, but you never think you will be a victim. Whoever he is, here's to him getting run over tomorrow.

I don't know where my card was skimmed. I paid for two meals at pubs with it when the card was out of my sight for a few minutes, one was October and the other was November. Both were in the Manchester area so I presume some employee skimmed the details there. Equally, it is possible someone found a reciept with all the necessary numbers on and copied them to a card. Regardless, it happened and I'll be a lot more cautious now.

So beware people! There are some people, the dirt of society, who will do anything for money and at the end of the day you and I pay in the form of high prices and interest rates.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
Right, I'm pissed off.

On the 12 of January, driving home from Cheltenham, I stopped to fill up with petrol at a Texaco garage... no worries. Paid my £30 something on Barclaycard and away I went happy as can be. Still no worries. Then I checked my Barclaycard bill when I got home, and was puzzled by another transaction at a different Texaco for £50 something. I presumed it was a mistake made by Texaco. Got in touch with Barclaycard, the transaction went into dispute and is in the process of being dealt with.

Today, trying to buy a train ticket at Manchester Piccadilly, my card is declined. I try again, same problem. So I took out my Royal Bank credit card and it went though. I made a mental note to call Barclaycard when I got home.

Except they beat me to it. I got a call from their fraud squad asking me if in the last few days I'd made x, y and z transactions. These transactions were:

£170 on clothes
£70 on shoes
£120 on petrol

I made none of them. So my card was dutifully cancelled, and I will not be liable to pay any of the costs.

But somewhere, some ******* spent a week pretending to be me, walking round Manchester and Bolton spending my money. It's an infuriating thought. He won't get caught, and now my card will not be accepted he will have moved on to his next victim, maybe you. Crime is a horrible thing, but you never think you will be a victim. Whoever he is, here's to him getting run over tomorrow.

I don't know where my card was skimmed. I paid for two meals at pubs with it when the card was out of my sight for a few minutes, one was October and the other was November. Both were in the Manchester area so I presume some employee skimmed the details there. Equally, it is possible someone found a reciept with all the necessary numbers on and copied them to a card. Regardless, it happened and I'll be a lot more cautious now.

So beware people! There are some people, the dirt of society, who will do anything for money and at the end of the day you and I pay in the form of high prices and interest rates.
*******s!!!
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
All you need is the 16 digit thingy number on the front plus the expiry date on the card to buy stuff off the internet these days. Much easier since you don't need to sign anything or enter PINs.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yep it is pretty bad. And to think that the banks declined an offer to improve their credit card services to a biometric one.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I hope you have informed the police. My mates mum had her credit card skammed her a christian name. Some asian (which I know could be christian but the likelyhood is less) tried using the card in the shop (a fake one with the same imprint) the the checkout person got supisious did a check it was recorded as stolen. That person was arrested I assume. It makes me sick that this kind of thing goes on though.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I hope you have informed the police. My mates mum had her credit card skammed her a christian name. Some asian (which I know could be christian but the likelyhood is less) tried using the card in the shop (a fake one with the same imprint) the the checkout person got supisious did a check it was recorded as stolen. That person was arrested I assume. It makes me sick that this kind of thing goes on though.
Only the stupid ones get caught. The smart ones evolve new ways of getting better.
mikesgt2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Right, I'm pissed off.

£170 on clothes
£70 on shoes
£120 on petrol

*******s. Stories like this somtimes just fill me with rage that there are people who will do this sort of thing in our society. This example is more serious, but things like vandalism are equally enraging.

Look on the bright side tho, it seems barclycard are very good at clamping down on this stuff and as a consequence there were no adverse effects to you.
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by jediknight007)
All you need is the 16 digit thingy number on the front plus the expiry date on the card to buy stuff off the internet these days. Much easier since you don't need to sign anything or enter PINs.
Often you'll need the home address and postcode, and the 3 digit security code from the signature strip. But still, not too difficult!
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
But if the delivery address don't match, then I think the transaction is automatically scrapped.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There was a big thing going round ages ago about a gang of mainly Asian men working at Total filling stations whilst running this scam.

They were selling cards with £2K credit limits for £200 or something and an under cover journalist uncovrered it all. They could make you a card in any name using real numbers and all you had to do was sign the back.
mikesgt2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Often you'll need the home address and postcode, and the 3 digit security code from the signature strip. But still, not too difficult!
You can find out quite a bit about a credit card simply from a disgarded receipt such as the expiry date and full card number. But, it seems that without stealing a card it would be impossible to use it over the internet.
Tednol
Rep:
?
I informed Barclaycard. They are investigating and I presume will contact the police as and when... but I wouldn't be suprised if the police never get told. They have enough to deal with. Whilst credit card fraud is annoying, embarrasing, and time consuming to sort out, I would rather be the victim of credit card fraud than being mugged. Barclaycard have been absolute stars to their credit. But it's generally accepted that the customer is not liable for transactions carried out using a skimmed card.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I informed Barclaycard. They are investigating and I presume will contact the police as and when... but I wouldn't be suprised if the police never get told. They have enough to deal with. Whilst credit card fraud is annoying, embarrasing, and time consuming to sort out, I would rather be the victim of credit card fraud than being mugged. Barclaycard have been absolute stars to their credit. But it's generally accepted that the customer is not liable for transactions carried out using a skimmed card.
I guess it was good that you were not physical hurt, its just one of them really annoying things. Everway I hope the scum bags get cought and get a nice long jail sentance.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mikesgt2)
You can find out quite a bit about a credit card simply from a disgarded receipt such as the expiry date and full card number. But, it seems that without stealing a card it would be impossible to use it over the internet.
Not hard -

Take card whilst owner is distracted (preferably in a restaurant or something) and note number, expiry date and 3 number "security number" on back.

Then rent a cheap property to have goods delivered to after which go on the Internet and order all sorts of stuff to be delivered to it.

Be in when the postman or courir arrives with your ill gotten gains then split. Ok you may lose £200 deposit or something but you will be quids in overall.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I guess it was good that you were not physical hurt, its just one of them really annoying things. Everway I hope the scum bags get cought and get a nice long jail sentance.
Unlikely, they are more likely to get caught if they withdraw lots of money in one day than anything else.
Tednol
Rep:
?
I'll drink to that!
dazmanultra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The internet is probably actually safer than using your card in many places in real life. A lot of people feel safer giving their card over to a stranger in a bar, shop or restaurant than going through 128-bit SSL encryption or whatever on the internet.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
this has reminded me to check my online banking, which i haven't done for ages. cheers
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well at least you're not liable for any of it, which is a benefit of credit cards.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
well at least you're not liable for any of it, which is a benefit of credit cards.
but then you could go out and buy all that stuff, then say someone else has cloned your card!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads