This discussion is closed.
mikesgt2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Not hard -

Take card whilst owner is distracted (preferably in a restaurant or something) and note number, expiry date and 3 number "security number" on back.

Then rent a cheap property to have goods delivered to after which go on the Internet and order all sorts of stuff to be delivered to it.

Be in when the postman or courir arrives with your ill gotten gains then split. Ok you may lose £200 deposit or something but you will be quids in overall.
I thought you needed a credit card billing address, it doesn't have that on a card.

Also, it takes a while to note down the number etc... it is not easy to take the card when they are distracted (unless you are the waiter).
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
But if the delivery address don't match, then I think the transaction is automatically scrapped.
Not true my flatmate needed to buy her rail ticket online and because she is a foreign student she only has a cash card so she asked to use my credit card and I said ok. She had filled in all the details on the online transaction except for the card number screen (dont trust anyone not even my best mates with my card number) anyway I presumed that she had filled in my details and just put my card number in and the transaction went through. It wasnt until after that I realised that she had put in her name and our flat address which isnt the address that my cards is registered to, as the details with my card number. I presumed that because the details werent correct it wouldnt go through, but it went through no problem so you really dont need to know anything except for a card number to do some internet transactions its scary that it went through without even my name.
the g
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
well at least you're not liable for any of it, which is a benefit of credit cards.
he's not liable becuase he made the complaint before the fraud dep found out about those charges. otherwise he would most likely have to pay for those.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by the g)
he's not liable becuase he made the complaint before the fraud dep found out about those charges. otherwise he would most likely have to pay for those.
k, but you can get some cards which release you from liability, and others where you pay some sort of insurance.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by the g)
Not strictly true mate. On the 12th I went to a Texaco garage and used my card. Checked account later, there was another transaction same day from a different Texaco garage. Rang Barclaycard, and me and the person I spoke to dismissed it as a mistake at Texaco's end regards their billing etc. The card wasn't cancelled.

It was only when Barclaycard suspended my card and then got in touch with me about 2 weeks later that I found out about 'my' card having been used falsely again - I hadn't checked my online account, which I of course am not contractually obliged to do, and I hadn't received any paper statements in that period.

The reason I wasn't liable, and would never have been liable, was because a copy of the card was made without my knowledge and without gross neglegence on my part. Words to that effect are written into all UK credit card agreements.
Tednol
Rep:
?
k, but you can get some cards which release you from liability, and others where you pay some sort of insurance.
I don't have any insurance. What happened to me could happen to anyone. And unless you had printed your card details on a big poster and stuck it up on a busy street, chances are you will not be liable regardless of it being a Barclaycard, Capital One, Mint, Egg etc credit card. Skimming is a specific credit card crime and has specific rules governing victims.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And thus the reason why I hate having a debit card I will never get a credit card unless they introduce stricter measures
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
I don't have any insurance. What happened to me could happen to anyone. And unless you had printed your card details on a big poster and stuck it up on a busy street, chances are you will not be liable regardless of it being a Barclaycard, Capital One, Mint, Egg etc credit card. Skimming is a specific credit card crime and has specific rules governing victims.
so you're agreeing with my first statement?
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
And thus the reason why I hate having a debit card I will never get a credit card unless they introduce stricter measures
i woud've thought debit cards are worse because the money comes out of your account, and you have to try and regain it, whereas with a credit card the money initally leaves the provider.
Tednol
Rep:
?
so you're agreeing with my first statement?
Yes, and was expanding on it. I don't only quote when I'm criticising... sorry if that has become the norm.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I hope you have informed the police. My mates mum had her credit card skammed her a christian name. Some asian (which I know could be christian but the likelyhood is less) tried using the card in the shop (a fake one with the same imprint) the the checkout person got supisious did a check it was recorded as stolen. That person was arrested I assume. It makes me sick that this kind of thing goes on though.
i worked in a station, and when u swiped the card, it would security check it. I remember chatting one day to other peeps that worked there, saying id never had a red light (stolen) - tho i did some weeks later, and they replied they'd had several and just asked for a different card. dozy [email protected] had been handing back stolen cards for yonks.
Still, when i got my red, i called the boss, we verified it was stolen, but he let the woman go! called the police who arrived 2 days (honest!) later
this country is going to sh!t with velocity
J
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
Right, I'm pissed off.

On the 12 of January, driving home from Cheltenham, I stopped to fill up with petrol at a Texaco garage... no worries. Paid my £30 something on Barclaycard and away I went happy as can be. Still no worries. Then I checked my Barclaycard bill when I got home, and was puzzled by another transaction at a different Texaco for £50 something. I presumed it was a mistake made by Texaco. Got in touch with Barclaycard, the transaction went into dispute and is in the process of being dealt with.

Today, trying to buy a train ticket at Manchester Piccadilly, my card is declined. I try again, same problem. So I took out my Royal Bank credit card and it went though. I made a mental note to call Barclaycard when I got home.

Except they beat me to it. I got a call from their fraud squad asking me if in the last few days I'd made x, y and z transactions. These transactions were:

£170 on clothes
£120 on phonecalls and phone credit
£70 on shoes
£120 on petrol

I made none of them. So my card was dutifully cancelled, and I will not be liable to pay any of the costs.

But somewhere, some ******* spent a week pretending to be me, walking round Manchester and Bolton spending my money. It's an infuriating thought. He won't get caught, and now my card will not be accepted he will have moved on to his next victim, maybe you. Crime is a horrible thing, but you never think you will be a victim. Whoever he is, here's to him getting run over tomorrow.

I don't know where my card was skimmed. I paid for two meals at pubs with it when the card was out of my sight for a few minutes, one was October and the other was November. Both were in the Manchester area so I presume some employee skimmed the details there. Equally, it is possible someone found a reciept with all the necessary numbers on and copied them to a card. Regardless, it happened and I'll be a lot more cautious now.

So beware people! There are some people, the dirt of society, who will do anything for money and at the end of the day you and I pay in the form of high prices and interest rates.
But how do we know it wasn't you that spent the money??? eh eh? lol
sandra s
Report 14 years ago
i think you are going over the top why would anyone wish for someone to get ran over i think you are being daft there may be a mix up at the bank or someone with the same card picked up the wrong one how the hell do you know? i think you should get your facts sorted out first how do we know its not you as you could be getting those things and fraud will take place because the bank cancels it and you dont pay
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Her assumption that this person is a 'he' is quite funny.

Ben
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Pubs/restaurants are the worst places. My bf worked for Pizza Express and the slip you sign has your full number, expiry date, signature and everyhting on it. ALl he would have had to do was to take home the slips, copy down the numbers and ta-da! It's the pubs and restaurants fault. ALso, in boots the blank out the four middle numbers of your card whereas other place blank out the first or last numbers. Put two receipts (found in a bin) together and you have a full number.
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
Pubs/restaurants are the worst places. My bf worked for Pizza Express and the slip you sign has your full number, expiry date, signature and everyhting on it. ALl he would have had to do was to take home the slips, copy down the numbers and ta-da! It's the pubs and restaurants fault. ALso, in boots the blank out the four middle numbers of your card whereas other place blank out the first or last numbers. Put two receipts (found in a bin) together and you have a full number.
It's a security farse really.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
Most of not all receipts have the number ***'ed out nowerdays.

I agree though, a few years back the access I had to peoples bank balances thru there reciepts was immense!

Someone at a different branch of the chain I worked for was 'done' for doing 'recalls' after a customer had left the building. Always fill inthe gratuity bit, even if it's with £0.00!! This guy was adding £5 or £10 in the blank gratuity spaces, then recalling the payment and adding this figure to it.

They suspect he made well over £5,000 in the 3 months he worked with us!
fifi53
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the real dodgy one is when they use those manual swipe things, some woman at the dry cleaners just put my card through twice - thus getting a perfect imprint of the card to take home. as this was the days before the 3 digit pin (which she still could have copied down) she bought a £50 btcellnet phone credit over the phone, how sad. stupid as well: surely a phone is totally traceable? i didnt have to pay though . so make sure they only ever put one sheet in the manual machine, or just refuse to let them use it and go get some cash out.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sandra s)
i think you are going over the top why would anyone wish for someone to get ran over i think you are being daft there may be a mix up at the bank or someone with the same card picked up the wrong one how the hell do you know? i think you should get your facts sorted out first how do we know its not you as you could be getting those things and fraud will take place because the bank cancels it and you dont pay
Why bother reviving this thread that is so old just to have a go? Bit pointless really.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Why bother reviving this thread that is so old just to have a go? Bit pointless really.
Agreed but some people never learn:rolleyes:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (101)
19.65%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (210)
40.86%
Nope, not that interesting (203)
39.49%

Watched Threads