Is york st johns a prestigious university,

Watch this thread
sinbad23
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Im just looking for opinions on york st johns?

cheers
Kerny
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
this thread isn't gonna go well
username445084
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
No.
dnumberwang
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Honestly I've never even heard of it. Never heard it mentioned once even on this site
username425364
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
"Is Mcdonalds classy?"
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Kerny)
this thread isn't gonna go well
No, it isn't.

Allow me to bullet point the rest of the thread

On the pro st john's side
  • Not prestigious \nRightarrow not good
  • It depends how much you like the uni
  • You should maybe consider job prospects, although if you like the course you should take it anyway
  • It may depend on the course.

On the against st john's side.
  • You may find it difficult to get a job post graduation
  • Some people will throw around names of certain animated characters
  • It's quite low in league tables. League tables are gospel, therefore it isn't good.

On irrelevancies:
  • We shouldn't be subsidising courses below x arbitrary point on a given league table
  • You shouldn't go to university unless you have y arbitrary selection of grades

There. I just saved you all a tonne of time.

/thread
sinbad23
Rep:
thanks for the replies.
hmaus
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
No, it's not a prestigious university. York is a nice city though so at least that's something.
florencebear
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sinbad23)
thanks for the replies and really yes the sarcasm and irrelevant comments are a bit unneccessary.
Why do you want to go to a 'prestigious' university anyway? It really doesn't matter, in the grand scheme of things, which university you went to. People who graduate from Oxford or Cambridge deserve no more respect than someone who graduated from York St Johns.

Most employers these days are not bothered about where you went to uni. That's a fact.

What do you want to study anyway cos York St johns is one of the best universities in the country for a couple of subjects.

York is a lovely, cheap city and you would probably enjoy life as a student in York just as much Oxford or somewhere like that.
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Not really, but you have to ask yourself how much prestige really matters to you.

(Original post by florencebear)
Why do you want to go to a 'prestigious' university anyway? It really doesn't matter, in the grand scheme of things, which university you went to. People who graduate from Oxford or Cambridge deserve no more respect than someone who graduated from York St Johns.

Most employers these days are not bothered about where you went to uni. That's a fact.

What do you want to study anyway cos York St johns is one of the best universities in the country for a couple of subjects.

York is a lovely, cheap city and you would probably enjoy life as a student in York just as much Oxford or somewhere like that.
If it is indeed a fact, as you claim, then you will have no problem providing us with the relevant literature on the matter; specifically, can you link us to the sources you refer to in making this claim.

Thanks =]
sinbad23
Rep:
Well I didnt really phrase the question properly.

I dont cae about prestige too much although I dont want it to be too bad. In fact I hate/dislike snobby people like the people who always talk about oxford on this site.

So yeah I kind of got my answers by looking on a league table, its better than a lot of other schools and definately better than my previous university, i dropped out of to improve and change course.

So if its a decentish university with good nightlife im happy

oh and primary education

but it will be behind glasgow, aberdeen, dundee, and maybe university of west scotland (probably not though)
mirin?
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
It's the best. Ever.
sinbad23
Rep:

Well I didnt really phrase the question properly.

I dont cae about prestige too much although I dont want it to be too bad. In fact I hate/dislike snobby people like the people who always talk about oxford on this site.

So yeah I kind of got my answers by looking on a league table, its better than a lot of other schools and definately better than my previous university, i dropped out of to improve and change course.

So if its a decentish university with good nightlife im happy

oh and primary education

but it will be behind glasgow, aberdeen, dundee, and maybe university of west scotland (probably not though)
Bambi2803
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
there's no nice way to respond to this. Utter b0ll0cks
florencebear
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Bambi2803)
there's no nice way to respond to this. Utter b0ll0cks
Get real mate. It ain't 'b0ll0cks' as you say. Life isn't about what's handed to you on a plate, and your success in life is not measured by which university you went to, nor is respect measured by the fact that you got 4 As in your A Levels and managed to go to Oxford. You'll come to understand that when you grow up.
Kerny
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Get real mate. It ain't 'b0ll0cks' as you say. Life isn't about what's handed to you on a plate, and your success in life is not measured by which university you went to, nor is respect measured by the fact that you got 4 As in your A Levels and managed to go to Oxford. You'll come to understand that when you grow up.
A-Level and/or university failure detected
Bambi2803
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I would argue that far from being 'handed to you on a plate' as you so elegantly put it, a good measure of success in life is how hard you work at school and university. Otherwise why would people specify A grades for what are supposedly 'top' courses if they weren't a good measure of success. Why not just randomly allocate people to universities if there's no difference between them

If you're trying to argue there's more to life than A levels than yes that is true, but some universities 'are' better than others and to denigrate those who work hard to get into those universities reeks of sour grapes on your part to say the least
florencebear
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I would argue that far from being 'handed to you on a plate' as you so elegantly put it, a good measure of success in life is how hard you work at school and university. Otherwise why would people specify A grades for what are supposedly 'top' courses if they weren't a good measure of success. Why not just randomly allocate people to universities if there's no difference between them

If you're trying to argue there's more to life than A levels than yes that is true, but some universities 'are' better than others and to denigrate those who work hard to get into those universities reeks of sour grapes on your part to say the least

nope, no sour grapes. I'm not an A Level or university failure either. I just feel that while success in life IS measured by how hard you work, working hard wouldn't necessarily result in an A at A Level. Academic ability is in many cases a gift and many many successful people struggle academically and do not go to a top class university. Do these people deserve less respect, or to put it another way, do people who have had the chance to go to Oxford/Cambridge deserve more respect?
Bambi2803
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
nope, no sour grapes. I'm not an A Level or university failure either. I just feel that while success in life IS measured by how hard you work, working hard wouldn't necessarily result in an A at A Level.

Why wouldn't it, barring an examiner mishap? You've honestly lost me there.

And considering that most uni students to get into Oxbridge + other unis require an interview, props to them for pulling it off and beating what are very competitive admission statistics. HOWEVER, if all they then do for 3/4 years is bum around, compared to someone at a less 'prestigious' uni who absolutely slogs it and gets a decent degree.... then less props to them (few people I know like that).

I see the point that you're trying to make though
florencebear
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Why wouldn't it, barring an examiner mishap? You've honestly lost me there.

And considering that most uni students to get into Oxbridge + other unis require an interview, props to them for pulling it off and beating what are very competitive admission statistics. HOWEVER, if all they then do for 3/4 years is bum around, compared to someone at a less 'prestigious' uni who absolutely slogs it and gets a decent degree.... then less props to them (few people I know like that).

I see the point that you're trying to make though
Thank you! I'm not trying to be annoying, prob just worded it wrong. All I'm saying that if you genuinely struggle with exams and revision, hard work may result in a B/C and it would be the best you could of possibly done. People have strengths in lots of different areas and I suppose it's pointless to compare them!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
42.61%
The paper was reasonable (220)
42.8%
Not feeling great about that exam... (47)
9.14%
It was TERRIBLE (28)
5.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise