Bad Spelling and Grammar- Okay, I'm Sad! Watch

This discussion is closed.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Am I just being weird and extremely pedantic, or is anyone else here bothered by bad spelling and grammar?
It really annoys me to see supposedly smart people making basic mistakes, and seeing official documents and stuff in the media etc. with misspelled words and bad grammar.

(I'll probably be very embarrassed now when I realise I've spelt something here wrongly.)
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I always spell things wrong on the computer, but I think it's because I type so fast. I downloaded this spell checker called IE Spell, so I always check before I post now.

Anyway, it's not so much typos that irritate me as when people don't even attempt to use proper english and use text speak or whatever crap it is. I mean, the people on this forum are suposed to be intelligent! Do they don't realise how stupid it makes them look?
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It can' be annoying, but so long as they dun start talkin lik dis den i b 4eva happy
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have this obsession with correct s,p&g as well. I don't think I have ever 'tYpeD lYk dIs bEf0R€' and can't remember the last time 'i typed like dis, even wen im chatting on msn'. Like for example, I will alway type 'I', not 'i' in sentences and also 'I'm' for 'I am', not 'Im' since there is no such word. I will usually finish a sentence with a full stop, exclamation or question mark etc.....because I feel it's more complete.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
I have this obsession with correct s,p&g as well. I don't think I have ever 'tYpeD lYk dIs bEf0R€' and can't remember the last time 'i typed like dis, even wen im chatting on msn'. Like for example, I will alway type 'I', not 'i' in sentences and also 'I'm' for 'I am', not 'Im' since there is no such word. I will usually finish a sentence with a full stop, exclamation or question mark etc.....because I feel it's more complete.
*nods* Kind of similar to that old thing of 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you'. I like to read things that have been presented in proper English and try to do the same. Even using capitals properly, even though most people would say that you don't really need to.
a_musical_guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
Am I just being weird and extremely pedantic, or is anyone else here bothered by bad spelling and grammar?
It really annoys me to see supposedly smart people making basic mistakes, and seeing official documents and stuff in the media etc. with misspelled words and bad grammar.
It annoyed me at first but now, I just put up with it. There's much we can do.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
It annoyed me at first but now, I just put up with it. There's much we can do.
aww no more Dr Evil avatars. I was really beginning to like them. Though the one of 'elpaw' as a mod was pretty good too.
starry
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
aww no more Dr Evil avatars. I was really beginning to like them. Though the one of 'elpaw' as a mod was pretty good too.
I don't mind people making typos, but it is really annoying to see sticky caps as well as no punctuation etc. My chat messages are prone to errors because of the speed at which I type at, but they're still readable.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My spelling and puncutation is poor but I always make sure I write in full sentances. Txt psk drvs me mad do u no wot i mean?
kita
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
My spelling and puncutation is poor but I always make sure I write in full sentances. Txt psk drvs me mad do u no wot i mean?
Well, I've been guilty for using bad punctuation etc on here, but its only where I have typed so fast and done it without realising, but not so much as the stupid text messaging text, as that is just ridiculous to read!
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In here I accept it. Although text speak pisses me off. I am a lot worse on here than in essays etc cos i am touch typing and not proof reading.
Bad spelling and grammar annoys me in newspapers especially broadsheets, and text books drive me crazy. In my law books there are tons of grammar mistakes I find it really grates on my nerves, hazard of being an English grad I guess.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
In here I accept it. Although text speak pisses me off. I am a lot worse on here than in essays etc cos i am touch typing and not proof reading.
Bad spelling and grammar annoys me in newspapers especially broadsheets, and text books drive me crazy. In my law books there are tons of grammar mistakes I find it really grates on my nerves, hazard of being an English grad I guess.
Forgive me if you have seen this before, I made a thread dedicated but if you want to see a very popular website with spelling worse than a 6 year old look no further.

http://www.5thavenuemanchester.co.uk/refurbishment.html

I was really pissed of when I read this.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
it is acceptable in a students forum - but i agree that on official documents and articles in broadsheets it is annoying to find spelling mistakes - the Guardian went through a phase like that once. I also abhor the smart arses that correct spelling misakes but then make elementary boobs themselves especially grammatically
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The funniest thing is when people correct you on your grammar but spell it grammer
.NK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
No and yes.

Doing A-level English language has made me correct other people's grammar and spelling all the time. I try and keep it to myself though, it seems to annoy other people. I had to correct one of the psychology secretaries' spelling the other day...had to try to explain the difference between its and it's...

It's embarrassing that the foreign students on my course can spell better and use grammar more correctly than most of the English students :rolleyes:
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
The funniest thing is when people correct you on your grammar but spell it grammer
ahh the ultimate irony
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have to disagree, as long as i can understand whats being written i dont mind at all. For example in texts do you spell words fully or write short. I do agree with media documents being spelt wrongly...or any official Doc!
Falguni
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, in official documents and essays it really annoys me to see simply spelling and grammatical mistakes. The worst I have seen was actually in my High School's sixth form prospectus which had so many spelling mistakes and typos (not exactly potraying a good image of the school!).

I have always been this way; my dad used to called me 'tip-ex' because when I was younger, I used to correct his speech and also anything that he had typed.

On forums, I thinks its fine to use shortenings and not bother with capitals (I sometimes do this when I'm typing quickly). However, I just cant stand when people diliberately write messages completely in text speak. Not only does it take longer to read, but it also gives us a strong perception of the posters personality and can lead to us stereotyping. It can also downgrade their argument or their opinions.
~Sam~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I dont always use proper SPAG on msn and stuff but only because its quicker to abbriviate words. I dont type things like 'i iz goin' though like my sister does! It really annoys me when there's mistakes in newspapers though because they should be proof read!
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Forgive me if you have seen this before, I made a thread dedicated but if you want to see a very popular website with spelling worse than a 6 year old look no further.

http://www.5thavenuemanchester.co.uk/refurbishment.html

I was really pissed of when I read this.
They were probably born and brought up in another country and had little knowledge of English when they moved here. It can take years before foreigners perfect their spelling, punctuation and grammar.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.54%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (143)
41.09%
Nope, not that interesting (137)
39.37%

Watched Threads