Bad Spelling and Grammar- Okay, I'm Sad! Watch

This discussion is closed.
*Joanna*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
My spelling and puncutation is poor but I always make sure I write in full sentances. Txt psk drvs me mad do u no wot i mean?
Have you ever seen French text talk? Rather strange, but quite logical at the same time...like 'Keske' for 'Qu'est-ce que', can't think of any more examples but you see it all over French message boards!
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
It really annoys me when there's mistakes in newspapers though because they should be proof read!
I think the Americans are guiltier of doing that than the English. I was once reading an article in the Chicago Times, over the internet and the grammar and spelling was awful. To add to that the style and level of English used was so atrocious, they used such simplistic sentences, I thought it was written by a 5 year old! The most annoying thing about it was it was critical about European policies over Iraq (this was lat year).
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *Joanna*)
Have you ever seen French text talk? Rather strange, but quite logical at the same time...like 'Keske' for 'Qu'est-ce que', can't think of any more examples but you see it all over French message boards!
They probably find our text talk as weird as we find their's. Tc
claire1985
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
Am I just being weird and extremely pedantic, or is anyone else here bothered by bad spelling and grammar?
It really annoys me to see supposedly smart people making basic mistakes, and seeing official documents and stuff in the media etc. with misspelled words and bad grammar.

(I'll probably be very embarrassed now when I realise I've spelt something here wrongly.)
Read Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation, it is absolutely hilarious. If you are pedant about sp&g you will love it.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Am I just being weird and extremely pedantic, or is anyone else here bothered by bad spelling and grammar?
It really annoys me to see supposedly smart people making basic mistakes, and seeing official documents and stuff in the media etc. with misspelled words and bad grammar.
Not at all, it irks me something awful too.

I always try to make my sentences as coherent and correct as possible; though with only my limited 'B' grade GCSE English language skills it can, at times, be hard.

It's apostrophes that I really notice, my teacher at school spent so long trying to get me using them correctly I believe that I'm probably traumatised for life!

Alaric.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I find it annoying when cafes show 'Todays Specials' or, worse, I saw a sign in a shop saying 'Once there gone, there gone'.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by claire1985)
Read Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation, it is absolutely hilarious. If you are pedant about sp&g you will love it.

Yeah, I've read it; it's great.

It doesn't annoy me so much when people have typos and stuff on here, it's when they actually don't know how to spell something or use bad grammar.
magicalsausage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't mind when people politely correct my grammar or spelling, but I can't stand it when people criticise others for being "stupid" just because they make a mistake (as happens a lot on the internet). Not everyone can be bothered checking over each post, and even if their grammar isn't great, it's what they are saying that is important, not how they say it. As long as somebody makes an effort to be understood then I'm happy.

I remember reading a quote I quite liked on this issue - "Grammar should be a help rather than a hindrance" but I can't remember where it's from. Possibly from a review of Eats Shoots and Leaves?
splaty
Report 16 years ago

(I'll probably be very embarrassed now when I realise I've spelt something here wrongly.)
I know exactly what you mean hitchhiker. I try to keep my vocabulary and grammar correct in all cases, Internet-based or otherwise. But people do make mistakes, as do I on occasion, so I definately won't make judgements at people with bad spelling. As magicalsausage said, it's what they're saying that matters.

But it only really bothers me when someone is flaming someone else for bad grammar, when they can't even spell correctly themself. Oh, and people who talk like this, ('I'm [email protected] killz0r j00!!') all the time get really annoying too - it can be funny sometimes, but not all the time..

Lastly, smart and professional documents should always be checked for spelling. I've seen far too many textbooks, magazines and even books with simple spelling errors. Good example? Harry Potter.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Hmm... deja vu. One of my very first posts was something similar to this (only much more abusive):

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=8069
Kirki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You're definitely not alone! I have no problem with people slipping up. Being overly picky in a forum like this is ridiculous. When people use netspeak and the like it really irritates me, though. It really doesn't take that much more effort to spell out a word in full, and it's so much easier to read. Plus, it's easier to take someone seriously if they're using correct spelling and grammar. Well, I find it is anyway
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
Hmm... deja vu. One of my very first posts was something similar to this (only much more abusive):

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=8069
I see that it deteroiated into a "lets make Mr White angry" type thread.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I get extremely bothered too - but then again i guess it's because i'm an english student and i can't help noticing since everything about grammer has tirelessly been drilled into my head...

however sometimes i'm guilty for commiting the crimes mentioned.
xup88
Report 16 years ago

ok i am not stupid but i can not spell very well. Just because you dont spell every thing with correct standard English does not make you dumb. 4 sum ppl its easyer 2 write dis way so no mistakes r made dat make dem look stupid k.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads