The Student Room Group

The Oxford UNIQ Summer Schools Thread

Scroll to see replies

micky022
2000 character limit.

Ahh, thank you, stupid me:pinch:
micky022
Everyone has their moments :P I'd find writing a 2000 word essay on myself hard like :woo:

Haha, to be honest, I usually have a hard time "condensing". Though I am having a complete word-blank with this, which isn't good considering I'm applying for English!
micky022
My teachers ******* me for being a minimalist, but I will waffle for hours in Eng Lit. If in doubt with Victorian Literature, talk about God!

My Catholic school get edgy when I mention God outside of RE, haha.

I prefer gender roles :yep: It's funny you mention Victorian Literature, I just wrote a paragraph on that for my PS!
micky022
My Catholic school isn't that bad, bit annoying with all the religion though...

Mine's not too bad...but when I did my personal study on the theme of sexuality, there were a few raised eyebrows...
micky022
Do go on...

I don't know if you have Personal Studies in England, but you basically talk for >15 minutes about a text and theme of your choice, and I chose the theme of sexuality in "The History Boys" by Alan Bennett. I personally didn't feel it was graphic or anything at all, but apparently the school chaplain and head teacher who walked in whilst I was in the middle of lovely quotes like "Just because you've got a scholarship doesn't mean you've got to give him unfettered access to your d***." did.
When is the deadline for sending in our application form?
Bossa Nova
When is the deadline for sending in our application form?

Midnight on the 12th of March 2010 :biggrin:
SelfishGiant
Midnight on the 12th of March 2010 :biggrin:

Thanks for that :smile:
This may be the first time I have ever written too many words! This personal statement is killing me!! I'd better get a place.

On that note, anyone thinking of Classics?
Reply 69
Revolution is my Name
:wtf:
I'm presuming there's a reason your parents pay £15,000+ a year? They'd hardly do it if it were disadvantaging you, would they?
Sure, we might be getting some "benefits" in terms of this, but, certainly in my case, that doesn't even begin to make up for the chronic underachievement and wasted potential that my school is a breeding ground for.

Well ok, my parents aren't paying quite that much. But yeah I see what you mean - its just that I wish that there wasn't this whole Private Sector-Public Sector divide - its really irritating. I mean who even cares what type of school you go to. Universities should look at every applicant as a separate individual and they should look at the work that they've done, the results they've accomplished and what they are going to accomplish. Right? :s-smilie: But they don't. There's just soo much politics in society these days haha.
airey_head
Well ok, my parents aren't paying quite that much. But yeah I see what you mean - its just that I wish that there wasn't this whole Private Sector-Public Sector divide - its really irritating. I mean who even cares what type of school you go to. Universities should look at every applicant as a separate individual and they should look at the work that they've done, the results they've accomplished and what they are going to accomplish. Right? :s-smilie: But they don't. There's just soo much politics in society these days haha.

But when they look at each individual, they ignore the fact that some people have limiting circumstances. Programs like this take away some barriers between public and private schools.
I should really get started on my application, ughh.
Applying for Law.
micky022
Good choice of subject. I think I've royally cocked up my PS; it asks what I can bring Oxford. Nothing frankly, I can bring myself.

Bare in mind i haven't started mine and have like what, four days to do it to an Oxford standard, without it being proof-read etc. I think yours will be somewhat better than mine :smile:
Down to 2169 characters! :biggrin:
me(:
Anyone else going to apply for maths?? :o: :biggrin:

I would have done but only found out about this scheme today, read all the info and then saw the deadline was last week! :stomp:

Hmm any other summer schools/camps I can go to for maths this summer? I need things to build up my UCAS application/personal statement :s-smilie:
raggamuffin93
I would have done but only found out about this scheme today, read all the info and then saw the deadline was last week! :stomp:

Hmm any other summer schools/camps I can go to for maths this summer? I need things to build up my UCAS application/personal statement :s-smilie:

Look here. :smile:
Reply 76
me(:
Anyone else going to apply for maths?? :o: :biggrin:

Yep :yep:
Hooray for maths!!!

Hmmm... seems to be rather quiet...
Reply 77
Beth1234
Yep :yep:
Hooray for maths!!!

Hmmm... seems to be rather quiet...

well we're more likely to get in if there are fewer applicants for maths, though :smile:
me(:
well we're more likely to get in if there are fewer applicants for maths, though :smile:

I wouldn't be THAT sure. 3,644 people applied for 500 places split across 3 weeks. The average subject accepts 15-40 people, but Law has 60. Medicine has 800 applicants for 30 places- so it's statistically easier to get a place studying Medicine for real at Oxford.

I know that's not specific to maths, but it just gives an idea of the scale.
Reply 79
me(:

true :yep:

fretter778
I wouldn't be THAT sure. 3,644 people applied for 500 places split across 3 weeks. The average subject accepts 15-40 people, but Law has 60. Medicine has 800 applicants for 30 places- so it's statistically easier to get a place studying Medicine for real at Oxford.

I know that's not specific to maths, but it just gives an idea of the scale.

truer... :o: I definitely think i am more likely to get a place to study at oxford 'for real' than the summer school :smile:
Um... by the way, how did you get these figures?

Quick Reply