This discussion is closed.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
For those not in the know OUSU (Oxford University Students' Union) have released a White Paper on tuition suggesting that instead of implementing top-up fees, the government should raise income tax - as graduates earn more they'll pay more. There's supposed to be an open meeting at my university to vote on whether we agree this afternoon, but since I can't go (practical, grr), I thought I'd find out what you lot think - link below So do you agree? Any other alternatives?

www.ousu.org
butterflew
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
personally i'd prefer to pay £9000 now rather than lose a higher proportion of my earnings all my life. alos, a degree doesn't automatically get you into better paid jobs as there is so much competetition etc.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by butterflew)
personally i'd prefer to pay £9000 now rather than lose a higher proportion of my earnings all my life. alos, a degree doesn't automatically get you into better paid jobs as there is so much competetition etc.

Yes - but how much income tax you pay depends on how much you earn. Also the £9000 student fees won't be paid up-front, if they come in: they'll be in the form of a graduate tax and you'll pay them back over the rest of your life... I don't think the income tax thing will work as it's been suggested a million times before, but I don't like the idea of fees - anyone else have any suggestions or ideas?
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If they stopped building millenium domes and mars probes there'd be millions to plow in to the education system!
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There are a fair few people here who actively disagree with the OUSU alternative white paper, but the proposed funding of higher education through progressive taxation is official OUSU policy. I think the fact that they've produced it is a good idea in itself but I think certain aspects of it need a little clarification.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (5)
50%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
10%
No- I want it (3)
30%
No- I don't want it (1)
10%

Watched Threads