The Student Room Group

Problem! The 'SansSerif' Font In MS Word

I've just started writing an assignment, and saw in the guidelines we has to use a SansSerif Font...now i thought that meant actually using the 'SansSerif' Font in Word, I didn't realise that SansSerif is a type of font aswell.

Anyway i've used this font for a big chunk of writing and i realised that WordCount wasn't working, so i tryed changing the font over and all my text has come up in little rectangles now!! I know the WordCount works properly on ther fonts but i can't convert it to another font! Arghh

I've never used this font before so wasn't aware of an such an issue.

I'd be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. I had a look on google but couldn't seem to find any similar problems?

Thank You
Reply 1
Original post by dairynuts
I've just started writing an assignment, and saw in the guidelines we has to use a SansSerif Font...now i thought that meant actually using the 'SansSerif' Font in Word, I didn't realise that SansSerif is a type of font aswell.

Anyway i've used this font for a big chunk of writing and i realised that WordCount wasn't working, so i tryed changing the font over and all my text has come up in little rectangles now!! I know the WordCount works properly on ther fonts but i can't convert it to another font! Arghh

I've never used this font before so wasn't aware of an such an issue.

I'd be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. I had a look on google but couldn't seem to find any similar problems?

Thank You

Copy and paste it to a new document and try that?
Reply 2
Original post by Haychee
Copy and paste it to a new document and try that?

Didn't work! Thanks for the suggestion though.
This SansSerif Font is a 'TransType' Font, i'm going to have keep looking around. What a pain!
Reply 3
Original post by dairynuts
Didn't work! Thanks for the suggestion though.
This SansSerif Font is a 'TransType' Font, i'm going to have keep looking around. What a pain!

Sans serif isn't a font... it's a type of font. Serifs are the pointy bits you get on the ends of letters in some fonts, eg Times. They're thus called serif fonts. Sans serif fonts don't have serifs (sans is french for 'without'), eg arial, helvetica, verdana, and so on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serif
No, you guys don't understand... There IS a font by the name of ''SansSerif''... I'm having the exact same issue (and this is among the results on the Google search page), and all I get are a bunch of squares on the screen when I switch it to just about any other font (e.g. Arial, Times New Roman, Verdana, etc.), and the only thing I DO conclusively get is when I switch it to Symbol, it shows up as Greek characters. Example:

Original "SansSerif" font: Sample characters
Underlying text, whether you change the font or copy/paste into another program: 
Changed to Symbol font: Σαμπλε χηαραχτερσ

I also know that this is a thread several years old, but I am down to the wire and I need to convert 4 pages of this not only so I can send it to my print shop (who can't open it at all), I need to translate this into a foreign language.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending