Sarah:)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I have a lease with Unite until September, but since I've left uni I have no need for the room any more - it seems a shame as the room is wasted, but more importantly I have now been cut off from student finance and really can't afford it any more, so need to shift the room asap

I've advertised on the classifieds on here (great forum btw!) but no luck as yet, I've also tried contacting Unite, the uni, posting all over the Facebook groups, Gumtree and a couple of other things - any other suggestions please?!

Thank you!! x
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sarah:))
I have a lease with Unite until September, but since I've left uni I have no need for the room any more - it seems a shame as the room is wasted, but more importantly I have now been cut off from student finance and really can't afford it any more, so need to shift the room asap

I've advertised on the classifieds on here (great forum btw!) but no luck as yet, I've also tried contacting Unite, the uni, posting all over the Facebook groups, Gumtree and a couple of other things - any other suggestions please?!

Thank you!! x
You seem to have used all the avenues I can think of! The only other thing is sending the SU a poster to put up on your behalf. Is it also possible to put up posters in the city if your accommodation is central?
Sarah:)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
thankyou..... that's a good idea

i've already tried contacting the SU but never thought of a poster

thanks
x
sarahbarker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm going to go down the not paying route. i don't understand why there isn't some sort of legislation in place so that it's easier to get out of an accommodation contract, how the hell do they expect you to pay if you're no longer receiving finance. beats me!
Ruth7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm In The Same Position Iv Tried Everything To Advertise My Room As I Just Want To Go Home But Its Proving Impossible, Would Like To Hear How You Got On Or If You Have Any Advise?
Thanks x
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sarahbarker)
i'm going to go down the not paying route. i don't understand why there isn't some sort of legislation in place so that it's easier to get out of an accommodation contract, how the hell do they expect you to pay if you're no longer receiving finance. beats me!
Beware; they will be quite within their right to take you to court. If they do, then you will be ordered to pay, and end up with a CCJ against your name. If you have a CCJ, then it becomes difficult to get any form of loan, and any loan you do get will be very expensive. If you were to ignore the court order to pay, then you would be found in contempt of court (a VERY serious criminal charge) and could end up in prison.
StacFace
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sarahbarker)
i don't understand why there isn't some sort of legislation in place so that it's easier to get out of an accommodation contract, how the hell do they expect you to pay if you're no longer receiving finance. beats me!
It's to make it fair on both parties.

When you enter into an accommodation contract you are agreeing to pay rent for the length of that contract and the landlord relies upon that for their income. If you choose to break that agreement then it is only fair that you should be the one to suffer for it - not the landlord.

The fact you are no longer receiving finance is nothing to do with it. Would you go to Tesco and tell them you've got no money this week so they can't expect you to pay?
sozhayter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Try Spareroom.co.uk
Flounderswim
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you sign a contract then you should honour it. What is the point in signing a contract if you can suddenly pull out?
simmo2359
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Try accommodationforstudents, they also have live a live support team.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.38%
I don't have everything I need (139)
41.62%

Watched Threads