Applied for media studies - whats it like? Watch

This discussion is closed.
malledo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Jus wondering what the media studies courses were like as I have applied to do either media studies on its own or media studies with leisure management.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by malledo)
Jus wondering what the media studies courses were like as I have applied to do either media studies on its own or media studies with leisure management.
Why did you pick media studies (just out of interest)
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
where?
malledo
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Why did you pick media studies (just out of interest)

because I did it at a levels and thought that it was brilliant.
malledo
Rep:
?
(Original post by viviki)
where?

suffolk college and essex uni
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
because I did it at a levels and thought that it was brilliant.
Well as a lot of people on this site will say doing media studies is fine if its what you actually want you want to study. Don't do it because you think it may be easier than some other subjects.
malledo
Rep:
?
Well as a lot of people on this site will say doing media studies is fine if its what you actually want you want to study. Don't do it because you think it may be easier than some other subjects.
I know that and believe me it wasn't easy at A level standard so a degree wont be any easier. It is what I want to do if not I wouldn't be picking it.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know that and believe me it wasn't easy at A level standard so a degree wont be any easier. It is what I want to do if not I wouldn't be picking it.
Thats good then, I think you would be better of studying at Essex uni if you can get in though, Essex has good respect from employees in and fairly high in the league tables. I have never heared of Sussex college until you mentioned it. Why have you limited your university choices to just two? do you want to live at home?
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well just make sure you get loads of work experience because I'm not saying it is an easy course but I know from people that have done media that it does hamper your job prospects because people think its a dosser degree. Mind you they also think English is a dosser degree.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well just make sure you get loads of work experience because I'm not saying it is an easy course but I know from people that have done media that it does hamper your job prospects because people think its a dosser degree. Mind you they also think English is a dosser degree.
I always thought English was well respected.
malledo
Rep:
?
Thats good then, I think you would be better of studying at Essex uni if you can get in though, Essex has good respect from employees in and fairly high in the league tables. I have never heared of Sussex college until you mentioned it. Why have you limited your university choices to just two? do you want to live at home?

I said Suffolk College, yes I am staying at home and commuting to either one
malledo
Rep:
?

what are u sudying then
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I always thought English was well respected.
That's what I thought too... hmmm
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Done an English degree, doing a law postgrad.
When I did English I lived with 3 media types in my second year and I know a few from home too.
Believe me some people think anything arts is a dossers subject, obviously I dont agree. I was asked by an interviewer once why I didnt do something more academic. English is academic GRRR!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I said Suffolk College, yes I am staying at home and commuting to either one
Sorry I meant Suffolk College. I also had a limited choice as I live at home too the only 3 places that do my course near me are Bolton, Manchester Met and Salford. I decided on Salford as its the only traditional uni out of them three. Much to my annoyance though Manchester Met is two places about Salford in the league tables
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sorry I meant Suffolk College. I also had a limited choice as I live at home too the only 3 places that do my course near me are Bolton, Manchester Met and Salford. I decided on Salford as its the only traditional uni out of them three. Much to my annoyance though Manchester Met is two places about Salford in the league tables
Becuase of the new tuition fees my brother will be staying at home and when he wants to go he wants to do media studies, so he'll be picking between these three too. I think he'll choose man met as it's closer and is joining with manc uni.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Since when was man met merging with Man uni. I thought that UMIST is the one merging?
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
YOu're right, it's UMIST
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It'd make more sense if it was man met, tey're right next door to each other and have similar courses.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It is UMIST
http://www.umist.ac.uk/news/articles...lt.htm?sid=853
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
40%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
20%
No- I want it (2)
40%
No- I don't want it (0)
0%

Watched Threads