The Student Room Group

AQA Unit 4A - February 1st 2011

Anyone else doing this exam (Geography A2 AQA Unit 4A)? How's your revision going for it? I've only just started today...not really sure what/how I'm meant to be revising even :frown: I really need to get high for this as I've been predicted A*!
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ForFreedom
Anyone else doing this exam? How's your revision going for it? I've only just started today...not really sure what/how I'm meant to be revising even :frown: I really need to get high for this as I've been predicted A*!

Can someone please upload some notes for it if they have any?! I have none :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by Demothesis
Can someone please upload some notes for it if they have any?! I have none :frown:

It's not really something you can make loads of notes for. For the fieldwork section, you just need to go through what you did for fieldwork (which you should have right :confused:). For the skills section, read up on pros and cons and how to do for the stuff on the syllabus.

Tbh, if you just blag loads of crap, you might still get high.
Reply 3
Does anyone know what is "data selection" for 4A? Is it sampling?
Reply 4
Eurgh, if anyone has marked answers or something, that would be beyond awesome. :frown:
Reply 5
Is this the geography gie thing for belfast? You didn't specify what subject :P
Reply 6
Original post by student777
Is this the geography gie thing for belfast? You didn't specify what subject :P

Oooh crap - and no, it isn't. :colondollar: Geography A2 AQA exam.
I hate this exam with a passion

12 marks on stupid questions that you can only write about 4 points on haha

I'm really not looking forward to it, our teacher gave us a list of possible exam questions (to be honest, there arent many areas you can be asked on) and I'm just going to make some draft answers that can be related to the questions, and hope it works.

And all this linking to your fieldwork :frown:

BTW, what did everyone do their fieldwork on? Mine is whether the River Ystwyth (in wales) is a true representation of Bradshaw's model.
Reply 8
Original post by Knight of Cydonia
I hate this exam with a passion

12 marks on stupid questions that you can only write about 4 points on haha

I'm really not looking forward to it, our teacher gave us a list of possible exam questions (to be honest, there arent many areas you can be asked on) and I'm just going to make some draft answers that can be related to the questions, and hope it works.

And all this linking to your fieldwork :frown:

BTW, what did everyone do their fieldwork on? Mine is whether the River Ystwyth (in wales) is a true representation of Bradshaw's model.

Meh, I dunno why my class didn't just do something simple like rivers...we did that for AS but then for A2, our teacher made us do our own :mad:

I'm doing whether services in this area meet the needs of its multicultural community. My theory is a bit dodgy...hoping that and sampling doesn't come up. Oh yeah and data analysis. Data analysis came up in June so hopefully won't come up again.

Presentational skills hasn't come up in a while I think...been focussing on that. :rolleyes:

How are you preparing for Section B?
Reply 9
If anyone has any questions about this exam i would be happy to help as much as i can just PM me :smile: I've got it coming up as well.

Good luck everyone :biggrin:
Reply 10
Can someone upload something, anything, please? My teacher is totally freaking us out about this exam, and keeps telling us we "definitely do not want to re-sit this".. Anyone else getting this off their teacher?!
This exam is quite new so there arn't many past papers to work from. The ones that exist can be found here:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/humanities/geography_materials.php?id=10&prev=

but you have probably been given them in class.

I suppose the best thing to do is to make sure you understand all the different data presentation techniques including their pros and cons and examples of uses.
Also looking through different statistical tests such as Spearman's Rank, Chi Squared, Standard Deviation etc.

For the first part of the paper, I guess you just need to have a good look through your fieldwork notes and make some additional notes on how you used data presentation/analysis for your own work - making notes of key facts and figures that specifically relate to your own work will give you marks as the examiner is looking for proof of your own studies.

From what I have seen by doing the past papers is that a lot of the marks in the first section come from really developing your points, making them personal to your own study and identifying synoptic links within your study.

Can't wait!... :/
This exam is quite new so there arn't many past papers to work from. The ones that exist can be found here:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/humanities/geography_materials.php?id=10&prev=

but you have probably been given them in class.

I suppose the best thing to do is to make sure you understand all the different data presentation techniques including their pros and cons and examples of uses.
Also looking through different statistical tests such as Spearman's Rank, Chi Squared, Standard Deviation etc.

For the first part of the paper, I guess you just need to have a good look through your fieldwork notes and make some additional notes on how you used data presentation/analysis for your own work - making notes of key facts and figures that specifically relate to your own work will give you marks as the examiner is looking for proof of your own studies.

From what I have seen by doing the past papers is that a lot of the marks in the first section come from really developing your points, making them personal to your own study and identifying synoptic links within your study.

Can't wait!... :/
Reply 13
Im so scared about this exam ! :s-smilie:

Need an A in it...

I'm really struggling in section A rather than section B. I seem to either miss the point of the question, or dont link it back enough to my own fieldwork...

Does anyone have any tips for the first section? Would be very much appreciated! :biggrin:
Reply 14
I'm finding it quite tough to revise for! Just going over all my fieldwork notes and making sure i'm clued up on the different topics (like data collection/analysis/evaluation etc)

Hope section B is alright but I think the markschemes are SO specific :\ !

Goodluck guys
Reply 15
only started revising today :tongue:

hopefully I won't be thrown tommorow
Hi everyone,
Very confused! Does anyone know how to answer:
-How important was the theory in choice of location?
-How important was location in choice of aim?
-How important was theory in choice of aim?

If anyone has any ideas or model answers regardless of what fieldwork you're doing i'd be very grateful!
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH is my general feeling towards this exam tomorrow
It is quite a bit after all my other exams and everyone else has already finished thier exams so it is just a massive cba with it :frown:
Im hoping for nice questions on location, safety issues and improvements to a data collection method. The something simple in section B.
Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone :smile:
I hope the content is:

Aim (obviously)
Data Analysis

I hate anything about conclusions really :/ And the topics above I have done well on past exam Qs :P

Does anyone have the June 2010 exam?

Who else is doing river fieldwork? I can provide some help if you need any :smile:

Lets kick this thread off :biggrin:
looked through past papers and presentation hasn't come up yet and also for section B i think it might be a kite diagram or something cause AS 2011 and A2 Jan 2010 was spearmans rank so statistics is unlikely. Although there has never been a Man Whitney U test yet...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending