This discussion is closed.
Falguni
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i understand what opportunity cost is, but i dont know how to calculate it. could someone help me:

it takes 1hr to travel to a destination by plane and costs £100
it takes 5hr to travel to a destination by train and costs £60

which mode of transport has the lowest opportunity cost for someone who earns £5 per hour and can freely vary their hour of work?

its probably very simple but my brains not working at this time in the morning

thanxs in advance!
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Falguni)
i understand what opportunity cost is, but i dont know how to calculate it. could someone help me:

which mode of transport has the lowest opportunity cost for someone who earns £5 per hour and can freely vary their hour of work?

thanxs in advance!
Well in terms of labour it will cost them £25 for the train and £5 for the plane. The train ticket option works out at £85 which is still cheaper so its this option the managers may choose.
Falguni
Rep:
?
ok so u work out the cost of the hours lost in travelling in terms of hourly wage
and then you add that to the cost of the journey

is that what u mean?

thanks
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok so u work out the cost of the hours lost in travelling in terms of hourly wage
and then you add that to the cost of the journey

is that what u mean?

thanks
Yep I am not 100% cetain that is what is meant but I think it must be. As managers need to work out the cost of oppurtunity and go with the cheapest option. The cheapest option is not always clear for exaple if this person earned £20 an hour then the plane would be much cheaper than the train.

In any business transport fares are fixed cost, the variable cost is labour.
Falguni
Rep:
?
yeah im working them out and it looks right. i kinda knew what to do i just didnt know exactly how to put it so thanks for explaining it clearly
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wouldnt it include not only what the person earns an hour but the cost of how much revenue they bring to the firm per hour or am I reading too much into it.
eg. someone might only earn 5 per hour but they might be hired out at 25 per hour and therefore it would be cheaper for the firm to get them there earlier by plane. I dont actually know anything about this but that makes sense to me.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

thanxs in advance!
Can they work while travelling?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Wouldnt it include not only what the person earns an hour but the cost of how much revenue they bring to the firm per hour or am I reading too much into it.
eg. someone might only earn 5 per hour but they might be hired out at 25 per hour and therefore it would be cheaper for the firm to get them earlier by plane. I dont actually know anything about this but that makes sense to me.
Thats probably right but witht he statistics we were supplied its probably reading too much into it. It seems like a GCSE Business Studies question to me.
Falguni
Rep:
?
well it is just a simple question i just couldnt remember how to do it because i was trying to read into it more. btw this is a introductory tutorial question for my microeconomics module as part of my degree - but we are starting at the basics as this is the first week.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well it is just a simple question i just couldnt remember how to do it because i was trying to read into it more. btw this is a introductory tutorial question for my microeconomics module as part of my degree - but we are starting at the basics as this is the first week.
What uni?
Falguni
Rep:
?
What uni?
kings college london - dont worry there IS harder stuff than this! lol
its just that we are starting at the beginning for those who havent taken economics or business studies but the pace picks up quickly
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No it was just idle curiosity cos I saw London as your location and wondered if it was uni or home. I am so bored.
Falguni
Rep:
?
No it was just idle curiosity cos I saw London as your location and wondered if it was uni or home. I am so bored.
ok
well its home and uni btw
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed