The Student Room Group

Geography AS Unit 1 - AQA 14/01/2011

So how did people find the exam??

Scroll to see replies

harder than last summer i think :/
what 2 optional topics did you do ? x
uhm deserts, floods, health, population..

i found deserts okay.. also health, but i think i screwed floods and population up :frown:
and plus i didnt have enough time to finish writing D:
I do glaciers, rivers, population and health!
Health was okay but I didn't get to finish writing on the last 2 questions :frown: had to start bullet pointing!! Was really annoyinggg
i know right?! they should give us more time.. how do they expect us to answer those questions plus for us to think before knowing what to write as well in 2 hours? x_x
this is a retake for me.. im so scared i'll get an even lower grade this time :frown:
what did you think of the population quest? i think i totally flopped it >.< and the photograph of the meander i was just like err. there's only like a meander there? and maybe flood plain? what else? @.@
I felt more prepared for the exam this time round I had case studies memorised for a variety of different things for floods, coast and population but didn't get to use them. I'm sure it was harder than last years paper, that picture of the meander wasn't great either, the coastal section even talked about flooding, if only it had been erosion I could of wrote pages and pages.

What did people think about the coastal section?
I didnt do the coasts section. But that picture I thought there was a meander and well what else? I saw there were natural levees?! Kinda missed the obvious with a flood plain :/ silly me. I had case studies memorised to .. turns out didnt even need them. thanks aqa!!
is this a resit for you guys as well? what did you guys get? ima seriously need a C this time, i had a high D last time.. i was like 3 marks off a C :frown: hoping for better this time... sighhhhh
Yup a re sit for me I got an E last time :frown: prayinggg for a B this timeeeeee
argh. one of my friend in my geog class had an E last time, but she had a C in the skills paper.
ima resiting the skills one next friday too.. i did pretty bad in that one :/
let me know how it goes, and whats on it because i am re sitting that one in may!!
Reply 12
This is the second time I have done this paper as well, and although I felt generally happy about it, I can't help but feel I did bad like last time. :frown: I thought the physical sections were good and liked the no case studies, cos that is where i fell down last time, and i just suck at the human side!! It's a shame because I felt that only a small % of what I had learnt only came up in the exam! Ahh well, good luck everyone for the results :smile:
Reply 13
Just wondering if anyone could give me any clarification on roughly how many raw marks are needed to achieve a specific grade on this paper. My teacher said that on the last two papers 60/120 have been good enough for an A and based on what I can see on the AQA website it does look like 60/120 in raw marks translates into 80% of the total UMS marks, so 112/140.

Im confident I managed to get somewhere between 55 and 65 raw marks even though I didn't manage to answer two 15 mark questions, ran out of time. At first I thought this was a disaster but now I'm quite hopeful.:confused:

As for the paper itself my two optional topics were coasts and health. The health section wasn't too bad apart from me not being able to answer the 15 marker but the coasts section screwed me over, as sand dunes came up, something which I had been led to believe wouldn't come up and then to top it off, coastal flooding insted of erosion for the 15 marker.
(edited 13 years ago)
I was happy as well that there were no case studies in the physical side as well, such a relief!! However on the health topic I didn't get to finish my 15 mark question either :frown: I am worried about my results as well though :frown:
I got a d in this and a b in skills last year getting a total of 118 ums points which gave me a d overall what made it most frustrating was to get a c I needed 120 that means 1 or 2 extra marks would have made a huge difference. I've got the 4a exam tomorrow anyway. Hopefully that will go well need a C overall at a level for uni. I can upload the ums boundaries later but couldnt find anything that showed raw marks as well :/
I kinda flopped the coasts 15 marker about coastal flooding, only had holderness in my mind. And the rivers question about how does flooding help create fluvial landforms:angry:
Reply 17
I do remember seeing somewhere that to get an a is only like half marks! This is very reassuring. It just goes to show that the grade boundaries are very close together I got 39/120 last time, 21 marks off of getting an A and I got a D! Luckily I was one mark off of an A on the other paper, so overall I got a C! Good luck everyone if you are doing the 4A paper! :smile:
here are the UMS boundaries for all AQA exams it doesnt give you the raw marks unfortunately but yeah my teacher said you only need half the marks to get an A in unit 1. :smile: good luck for anyone taking 4a or b tomorrow :smile:
I'm taking 4B tomorrow :frown: i think its B! Haha so confused, but I am so not ready :frown: anyone got any advice for it??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending