This discussion is closed.
pop
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i'm bored of discussing 'who got in?' 'how did you get in' type questions. does anyone any stories of anyone who's had a real weird, strange interview. ie: asked to chuk a chair out of the window?!?!?
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by pop)
i'm bored of discussing 'who got in?' 'how did you get in' type questions. does anyone any stories of anyone who's had a real weird, strange interview. ie: asked to chuk a chair out of the window?!?!?
I was asked to throw an evangelist out of a hot air balloon (hypothetically, of course).

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I failed to be able to get out the door of one of the interviews and still got given a place...
pop
(Original post by hildabeast)
I was asked to throw an evangelist out of a hot air balloon (hypothetically, of course).

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
yea, i heard that one guy walked into his law interview and the interviewer was lying down, spread across the sofa when he came in! he just told him that he though it was a formal interview and that he'd feel more comfortable if the interviewer sat up!! i duno if he got in tho!
pop
im always frightened that i'll bump into my oxford interviewer again! i dont think they'd recognise me but i have them permanently burnt into my memory now!o h the trauma!
Insatiable
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was asked about my religious upbringing at Greyfriars (I didn't apply there - it was a second interview) and said something stupid like "er, loosely Christian". On the way back it gradually dawned on me just how dumb that must have sounded, especially since one of my interviewers was a friar.

I, er, didn't get in.
Katie J
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I had the door problem as well!! My interviewer had to come and let me out in the end...I think I said something stupid like 'somehow thats made the past half hour less scary' I still don't know what I meant or why I said it! (I think it was something to do with the fact that she suddenly seemed more human by laughing at me struggling with a door for a good few mins!)

My second interview was just as strange, I don't think my interviewers first language was english...we had a few communication problems...I was being blinded by the sun and asked if we could close the curtain & she just stared at me for a couple of mins then coughed a bit and carried on. I asked again a bit later (it was really distracting & I couldn't look at her) and did a stupid hand gesture...she laughed & then I closed it myself! She also asked me the same question a couple of times! (I thought that wasn't a good sign, I can't have been answering what she wanted to hear either that or again we didn't understand each other)

I did find it odd that the 1st room was just someone bedroom (complete with bed, photos, posters, sofas and bean bags!)...it really wasn't as bad as I was expecting! My archaeology interview was just great, we talked about some really funny stuff!

Still got an offer though!
pop
[what college did you apply to?
lucerna
Report 16 years ago
Well I started talking about the pancreas instead of the liver in my second NatSci interview...and still got in lol. I did have many nightmare memories about that until I finally found out the results though...
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Katie J)
I had the door problem as well!! My interviewer had to come and let me out in the end...I think I said something stupid like 'somehow thats made the past half hour less scary' I still don't know what I meant or why I said it! (I think it was something to do with the fact that she suddenly seemed more human by laughing at me struggling with a door for a good few mins!)

My second interview was just as strange, I don't think my interviewers first language was english...we had a few communication problems...I was being blinded by the sun and asked if we could close the curtain & she just stared at me for a couple of mins then coughed a bit and carried on. I asked again a bit later (it was really distracting & I couldn't look at her) and did a stupid hand gesture...she laughed & then I closed it myself! She also asked me the same question a couple of times! (I thought that wasn't a good sign, I can't have been answering what she wanted to hear either that or again we didn't understand each other)

I did find it odd that the 1st room was just someone bedroom (complete with bed, photos, posters, sofas and bean bags!)...it really wasn't as bad as I was expecting! My archaeology interview was just great, we talked about some really funny stuff!

Still got an offer though!

Mine was weird. I was told to knock and wait to be invited in. I knocked the door and all of a sudden I heard really loud coughing like someone was choking. She was really going crazy coughing inside the room! I wondered if it was a test......anyway I opened the door and as soon as I did she stopped coughing and was suddenly healthy. We didnt discuss her choking antics. However, all throughout the interview she made funny faces and sometimes they were really off putting. For everything I said, she knitted her brow and bent her face like I stunk. Even if she agreed with what I was saying. I thought it was weird.
Weirdo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I had an interview with a German lady, and this random German post-graduate sat in the room with us as well... he didn't say anything the whole way through the interview - he just sat there staring at the sheet of paper in front of me, and every now and then would randomly burst out laughing :confused: the most off-putting thing was when I asked a question, or said something like "I'm not sure what to do next" coz both of them ended up in fits of laughter... I had no idea what I was meant to do!?!

Anyway... I'm glad my offer wasn't from that college!
pop
these stories are REALLY good!! keep them coming! i guess its about time we lightened up about this whole oxbridge thing!!!!
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
After my first interview with a subject tutor I was waiting in the porters lodge. My interviewer then walked past me (five minutes after us having an hour long conversation) without even acknowledging me being there. Not even a smile or a "hello". Anyway I didn't get into that college but got into another one at the pool

Musicboy
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
last year I had an interview for law, and for my second interview I had to go into some random empty building really far away from the main buildings (that was for Sidney Sussex). There was a chair next to the door, and there was a sign instructing candidates to sit on the chair and wait for the interviewert to call you in. I sat down on some bench on the other side of the room because I didn't like the chair, and when the interviewer came out he looked at the empty chair and with amazement...only after a few seconds he saw me on the bench and looked at me reproachfully, pissed off that I hadn't sat down on the prescribed chair! He was really unfriendly (and looked like an Ork), and throughout the whole interview he sat behind his desk, writing ALL THE TIME (!!) and never looking at me once. Also I couldn't see him properly because of the piles of books on his desk...his unfriendliness made me nervous and when he asked me why I want to do Law at Cambridge I couldn't think of a good answer...said something ridiculous about the architecture of the law faculty...very embarassing!
didn't get in!
crana
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
my cambridge ones were fine but i was surprised atManchester when my interviewer was a punk lady geneticist from california complete with shaved head, mini skirt, etc.........she was relaly nice though
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i don't know if it was oxbridge...but i heard of a legend who applied at university for philosophy..or something like that.

He had to sit an essay...write no more than 2000 words on @what is bravery'

This guy wrote down the words....

"This is bravery." and left it at that...

apparently he got in...

G
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
i don't know if it was oxbridge...but i heard of a legend who applied at university for philosophy..or something like that.

He had to sit an essay...write no more than 2000 words on @what is bravery'

This guy wrote down the words....

"This is bravery." and left it at that...

apparently he got in...

G
There are similar myths such as the essay title "is this a question?" and the full mark answer of "if this is an answer, yes." I don't think either story is true

Musicboy
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I had a supervision and I couldn't open the door and my supervisor said, "Oh yeah, that door's a right bugger to open and close. It's hilarious when I do interviews."
Karim
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tomek J.)
last year I had an interview for law, and for my second interview I had to go into some random empty building really far away from the main buildings (that was for Sidney Sussex). There was a chair next to the door, and there was a sign instructing candidates to sit on the chair and wait for the interviewert to call you in. I sat down on some bench on the other side of the room because I didn't like the chair, and when the interviewer came out he looked at the empty chair and with amazement...only after a few seconds he saw me on the bench and looked at me reproachfully, pissed off that I hadn't sat down on the prescribed chair! He was really unfriendly (and looked like an Ork), and throughout the whole interview he sat behind his desk, writing ALL THE TIME (!!) and never looking at me once. Also I couldn't see him properly because of the piles of books on his desk...his unfriendliness made me nervous and when he asked me why I want to do Law at Cambridge I couldn't think of a good answer...said something ridiculous about the architecture of the law faculty...very embarassing!
didn't get in!
I also applied to Sidney Sussex for law, had heard from sum1 about an interview with that same guy, and at the open day he'd got to the law meeting really late, not said nething bout why and been really abrupt.

To make matters worse, it took me 10 minutes to get the gate to unlock for the building, surfice to say i was getting quite nervous...

...but in the end the interview was really friendly it was him and another woman and they were sitting on the same level as me, and it was all quite laid back

the only thing that went really wrong as i was going i said "see you later" purely out of habit, was hopingthat he hadn't noticed and that! that would have sounded very cocky

but it must have gone well coz i got an offer, so i'll find out what hes really like when hes my director of studies
nervous
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i heard this one about this guy who walked in to find his interviewer reading a newspaper. The interviewer then says to the guy 'surprise me' at which the student pulls out a lighter and sets fire to the paper
i seriously cannot imagine what i would have done! - any ideas?

then one of my teachers told me another one (just the day before my interview - not a good idea!!) about this guy who was told to throw a rock out of the window - they actually just wanted to see if he would blindly do what he was asked to do without using his own common sense - im pretty sure i can think of a quite a few people who would have thrown that rock out of the window though!! - wat do u guys think? would u have thrown the rock?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads