Oxbridge myths!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Veedy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nervous)
i heard this one about this guy who walked in to find his interviewer reading a newspaper. The interviewer then says to the guy 'surprise me' at which the student pulls out a lighter and sets fire to the paper
i seriously cannot imagine what i would have done! - any ideas?

then one of my teachers told me another one (just the day before my interview - not a good idea!!) about this guy who was told to throw a rock out of the window - they actually just wanted to see if he would blindly do what he was asked to do without using his own common sense - im pretty sure i can think of a quite a few people who would have thrown that rock out of the window though!! - wat do u guys think? would u have thrown the rock?
What actually happened in that 'myth' was that the student opened the window and threw it out, therfore not breaking the window. Its supposed to show that most students will have thrown it through the window without opening it first.
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Karim)
I also applied to Sidney Sussex for law, had heard from sum1 about an interview with that same guy, and at the open day he'd got to the law meeting really late, not said nething bout why and been really abrupt.

To make matters worse, it took me 10 minutes to get the gate to unlock for the building, surfice to say i was getting quite nervous...

...but in the end the interview was really friendly it was him and another woman and they were sitting on the same level as me, and it was all quite laid back

the only thing that went really wrong as i was going i said "see you later" purely out of habit, was hopingthat he hadn't noticed and that! that would have sounded very cocky

but it must have gone well coz i got an offer, so i'll find out what hes really like when hes my director of studies
congratulations to your offer...did you have an interview with Mr. Partington (because he is really nice)?
way2go
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nervous)
i heard this one about this guy who walked in to find his interviewer reading a newspaper. The interviewer then says to the guy 'surprise me' at which the student pulls out a lighter and sets fire to the paper
i seriously cannot imagine what i would have done! - any ideas?
After reading all these hilarious stories, it wouldn't surprise me if he actually got in.
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would've jumped myself, come to that
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
One of my interviewers yawned alot, stared at the ceiling.

The other asked me "How was your journey?" then said "I don't want to hear about that!" as soon as I opened my mouth.

Offputting, resented it, but I guess I was prone to worrying about the littlest things, and it wasn't such a big deal.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by pop)
i'm bored of discussing 'who got in?' 'how did you get in' type questions. does anyone any stories of anyone who's had a real weird, strange interview. ie: asked to chuk a chair out of the window?!?!?

Funny, I know a girl who was asked to do exactly that. Not sure what she said, but she didn't do it. And she did get in.
JaF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
During my second interview at Cambridge there was a cat on the desk and the interviewer had to move it because it was clawing at my work.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JaF)
During my second interview at Cambridge there was a cat on the desk and the interviewer had to move it because it was clawing at my work.
That's the best thing, ever.
JaF
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
That's the best thing, ever.
After the interview I thought to myself that could only happen at Cambridge and I'm yet to be proven wrong.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JaF)
After the interview I thought to myself that could only happen at Cambridge and I'm yet to be proven wrong.
If that happens to me even once in a supervision my life will be complete.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If that happens to me even once in a supervision my life will be complete.

What college are you again? I've had our college cat take part in a supervision... kind of offputting...
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
What college are you again? I've had our college cat take part in a supervision... kind of offputting...

Clare! Does Clare have a college cat? (&)
Canada Girl
Report 15 years ago
The cat clawing story is so classic!

I wish I had been interviewed. I was so looking forward to visiting Cambridge (never been) and even told them I would be more than willing to fly over the pond to participate. I still wonder if it is a good thing or a bad thing they didn't feel the need to interview me...
I called my College yesterday and they *still* have not made decisions yet on applicants (as in first-round!). The agony...

(Original post by JaF)
nervous
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by way2go)
After reading all these hilarious stories, it wouldn't surprise me if he actually got in.
haha sorry - forgot to mention that the 'setting fire to newspaper guy' actually did get in!!
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Canada Girl)
I called my College yesterday and they *still* have not made decisions yet on applicants (as in first-round!). The agony...
Poor you - that must be awful. Are you a graduate student???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
devilschild
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i was told by some students at cambridge that one girl threw up in her interview and got an offer! not sure if they were winding me up though.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Clare! Does Clare have a college cat? (&)
Yes - it's called Scipio!

I heard anything about it for ages, I think it's been retired to somewhere near grantchester after some nasty drunkards from Tit Hall threw it in the river :mad:
Clare has a kinda love/hate thing going on with Tit hall really...

Alaric.
lucerna
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)

I heard anything about it for ages, I think it's been retired to somewhere near grantchester after some nasty drunkards from Tit Hall threw it in the river :mad:

Alaric.

Aww, that's horrible. Poor cat
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Alaric.
They WHAT? :| That's awful, I'll kill 'em.

Who looks after it? Will I still be able to visit it? College cat = best concept ever.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ooooh, I didn't know we had one! Wow, you learn something new every day.

I did have a pet butterfly in my room, but it vanished yesterday
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1608)
79.13%
Leave (424)
20.87%

Watched Threads