This discussion is closed.
Canada Girl
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Poor you - that must be awful. Are you a graduate student???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
I am presently a graduate student, but I applied for law.
Katie J
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
'cats live near-by'

a quote from the Newnham alternative prospectus, I always wondered why such random thing was included in the list of reasons to go there! I would love to have a cat near by!!
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
bear in mind there could be some ambiguity considering everyone refers to St. Catharines as cats/catz and they have some accommodation over that way I believe...

however I think we need a replacement college cat since I never see Scipio...
when the incident occured it was on the front page of Varsity I think, lots of jokes were made at Clare comedy when somebody from tit hall who was there at the time was doing standup.
Much amusement.

Alaric.
Katie J
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Aww, I was getting excited at the idea of the colleges having cats!!
I really don't know much about Cambridge, only the course I applied for and the college...

I got lost after my interviews, I decided to go christmas shopping...I was so ashamed, its such as small place & I didn't really wander too far away from anywhere! I ended up ringing my mum (in Wales) who suggested I ring the college & explain where I am and ask for directions back, I didn't, thought it might ruin the whole supposed to have at least slight intellengence to be there!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cambridge town centre is a bit confusing at first, but you do get used to it really quickly. In my first few weeks, I just always tried to remember my orientation relative to Trinity Street/King's Parade, and managed to get around that way. I see you found your way out in the end though!
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
We have a college cat called Hilda, surprisingly enough.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
God yeah the disorientation, I went into the town hall type place all pissed off and demanded to know where a cybercafe was. And the prices of things, jeez :| serves me right for not bothering to find anywhere else than pret.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just buy a Cambridge Uni map from the CUP bookshop and put it on your wall/pinboard... and with your uni card you get a 20% discount which means it's a bargain at 80p.
You'll soon memorise it.

Alaric.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
God yeah the disorientation, I went into the town hall type place all pissed off and demanded to know where a cybercafe was. And the prices of things, jeez :| serves me right for not bothering to find anywhere else than pret.
There's one between barclays and ryder and amies right next to great st mary's church...

Alaric.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
There's one between barclays and ryder and amies right next to great st mary's church...

Alaric.
It seemed to be closed iirc. I ended up going to one not far from the station.
Katie J
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I found my way back eventually, followed a road & all the main traffic going in to the centre, practically circled the whole town I think! It was embarassing though, I was following signs & thought I knew where I was going, it was by the river, when I finally worked out which way I was supposed to be going I couldn't find a bridge!! I got lost at the open day as well, my friend & I bought one of those tourist maps but the rain made it fall apart, we were looking for the arch & anth museum but never found it, I'd been there before & we both A-Level Geog students, oh the shame...
Karim
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tomek J.)
congratulations to your offer...did you have an interview with Mr. Partington (because he is really nice)?
Thank you, i did have an interview with Mr. Partington, ur right he is very nice!!
GemGems
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by pop)
i'm bored of discussing 'who got in?' 'how did you get in' type questions. does anyone any stories of anyone who's had a real weird, strange interview. ie: asked to chuk a chair out of the window?!?!?
My friend managed to lock one of the interviewers out the room and still got in ;-)
quinnbrakes
Report 16 years ago
Guess im in the quite rare situation of having been interviewed at oxford and cambridge and both were pretty weird.

At cambridge it took me 3/4 of an hour to work out that there was another tutor sitting in the corner right behind me. He didnt say anything and then suddenly asked a question. I jumped up and knocked my chair over very embarrassing.

At oxford I was half way through when i realised id taken my shoe off and that it had got stuck under the sofa. At the end i had to go down on my knees and fish it out and as i stood up i knocked over a flip chart.

Total nightmare.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by quinnbrakes)
Guess im in the quite rare situation of having been interviewed at oxford and cambridge and both were pretty weird.
Are you an organ scholar? what subject are you applying for?
quinnbrakes
Report 16 years ago
Not an organ scholar. Applied for philosophy at cambridge got an offer but decided i didnt like the course enough. Took a gap year and am chuffed to high heaven to now have a place for PPE at oxford.
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Karim)
Thank you, i did have an interview with Mr. Partington, ur right he is very nice!!
did he ask you a history question too??
by the way, have you ever been to the crown court in chelmsford? I went there and saw a murder trial for my work experience, twas well exciting...
CZUCK
Report 16 years ago
I spoke to someone at my interview who said a friend's brother's friend's brother's freind's friend's ....... brother was thrown a cricket ball when he walked into the room and was ordered to "eat it as you would an apple."
He threw it back and told the interviewer to peel it first!

He got in!
Katie J
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Waiting for my interview in a room with just me & a law applicant, the law interviewer came in to 'collect' the girl and looked down at an unfinished jig saw on the table and said "not finished that then, I'm sorry we can't accept you!". Obviously she was joking but the girl looked terrified and the interviewer laughed & apologised! Cruel but it lowered the stress levels!
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Katie J)
Waiting for my interview in a room with just me & a law applicant, the law interviewer came in to 'collect' the girl and looked down at an unfinished jig saw on the table and said "not finished that then, I'm sorry we can't accept you!". Obviously she was joking but the girl looked terrified and the interviewer laughed & apologised! Cruel but it lowered the stress levels!

Lol! My tutor graffiti-ed the sign outside his door: "All interviews will be conducted in Latin". Wicked, wicked
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads