This discussion is closed.
Alex_R
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm at Christ's college Cambridge, but my dad went to St Edmund's Hall Oxford and one of the rumours there was that the interviewer would throw you a rugby ball and if you caught it you'd get in and if you span it back you got a scholarship. PS I also heard about the cherry eating thing at All Souls
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alex_R)
I'm at Christ's college Cambridge, but my dad went to St Edmund's Hall Oxford and one of the rumours there was that the interviewer would throw you a rugby ball and if you caught it you'd get in and if you span it back you got a scholarship. PS I also heard about the cherry eating thing at All Souls
That sounds about right - Teddy Hall is rugby obsessed.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Karim
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tomek J.)
did he ask you a history question too??
by the way, have you ever been to the crown court in chelmsford? I went there and saw a murder trial for my work experience, twas well exciting...
yep asked me a history questions, bout appeasement and whether I agreed with the revisionists and post revisionists but that was prob because i said history was the subject i enjoyed most, spoke to him on the phone 2day actually, phoned the admission office but didn't realise it was him that had answered, i go "i've spoken to mr. partington about this" and then he said who he was, felt a bit silly!

been to crown court a few times actually, taken part in magistrates and bar competitions held there, seen some sentencing for work experience and popped in a few other times, nothing as interesting as a murder trial tho... having said that i did go to the old bailey after leaving a really boring economics conference and saw a murder trial there but didn't have long enough really, but don't see myself going into criminal law really.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alex_R)
Yeah, I've heard that one, but not attached to a specific college. What subject are you doing?
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Karim)
yep asked me a history questions, bout appeasement and whether I agreed with the revisionists and post revisionists but that was prob because i said history was the subject i enjoyed most, spoke to him on the phone 2day actually, phoned the admission office but didn't realise it was him that had answered, i go "i've spoken to mr. partington about this" and then he said who he was, felt a bit silly!

been to crown court a few times actually, taken part in magistrates and bar competitions held there, seen some sentencing for work experience and popped in a few other times, nothing as interesting as a murder trial tho... having said that i did go to the old bailey after leaving a really boring economics conference and saw a murder trial there but didn't have long enough really, but don't see myself going into criminal law really.
Mr Partington and his history questions... he asked me about Hitler's Rise to Power and about my General course structure, my favourite subject was also History!
It's funny that you talked to him on the phone, I talked to him a lot of times on the phone after they rejected me, harassed him about why I didn't get in , but I wrote to him a week ago telling him that i got in this year and he still remembered me and said he was happy for me! nice bloke...
Daenerys
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by pop)
i'm bored of discussing 'who got in?' 'how did you get in' type questions. does anyone any stories of anyone who's had a real weird, strange interview. ie: asked to chuk a chair out of the window?!?!?
God, how many people have had trouble with doors! My friend had just the same problem, walked into a closet trying to get out!
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daenerys)
God, how many people have had trouble with doors! My friend had just the same problem, walked into a closet trying to get out!
Did they stay in there and had to be retrieved?

Alaric.
redcat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by quinnbrakes)
Not an organ scholar. Applied for philosophy at cambridge got an offer but decided i didnt like the course enough. Took a gap year and am chuffed to high heaven to now have a place for PPE at oxford.
which colleges?
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This isn't an Oxbridge interview. Still pretty cool though. And true!

A guy at an interview for a job in marketing (or advertising). The interviewer handed him a jug of water and said "Sell me this jug of water".

Without any hesitation the guy took out his lighter and set the interviewer's paper basket alight.

He then turned to the interviewer and said - I'll sell you this jug of water for £20.

How cool is that?

Needless to say he got the job.

Adam
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tnacilppa)
This isn't an Oxbridge interview. Still pretty cool though. And true!

A guy at an interview for a job in marketing (or advertising). The interviewer handed him a jug of water and said "Sell me this jug of water".

Without any hesitation the guy took out his lighter and set the interviewer's paper basket alight.

He then turned to the interviewer and said - I'll sell you this jug of water for £20.

How cool is that?

Needless to say he got the job.

Adam
cool but on the other hand probably untrue. Sorry to ruin the fun,

Musicboy
Daenerys
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
Did they stay in there and had to be retrieved?

Alaric.
As amusing as it is to imagine someone pretending they had taken the right door and just keeping quiet till they could sneak out, afraid not It did crush their confidence rather badly, esp. after a tough interview.
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
cool but on the other hand probably untrue. Sorry to ruin the fun,

Musicboy
I actually am pretty sure it is true. It was one of my best friend's brother. I am delighted you presume to know about this kind of thing though.

Adam
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.79%
No (263)
33.21%

Watched Threads