The Student Room Group

OCR English Literature 17/01/11 Poetry and Prose 1800-1945

Anyone else doing this exam on monday? Confident?
Reply 1
I'm sitting this :smile: We're doing 'The Great Gatsby' and the Wilfred Owen Anthology.

I would say I'm quite confident about the Gatsby side of the exam, but Owen just doesn't seem to be sticking in my mind. Anyone have any tips on how to revise the poetry side? The stuff I'm doing at the moment; that is, reading through my annotations and noting vital quotes; doesn't seem to be doing anything much for my confidence.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm taking the intensive course, meaning i'll be taking all exams in june :|
Could anyone let me know what the questions are after the exam so I could see what kind of hole i've put myself into?
thanks
Reply 3
I AM APPEARING THIS SUMMER I MEAN JUNE 2011! Anyone any preparations yet?
:eek:
Can anyone tell me what Gatsby and Owen question came up in the Jan 2011 paper please!? Sitting this exam in a couple of weeks and wanna know what's less likely to come up.
Thanks in advanced!
Reply 5
Yeah same, please could someone tell me the questions for Tess and Owen poetry that came up!? Thanks!
I'm more worried about Gatsby then Owen, mainly hitting A03... But having said that, I still need to LEARN owen =/
Reply 7
I have no idea how to revise either Gatsby or Owen.
I listen to the poems on the way to college and stuff. Which helps to an extent. (i just get them from youtube and convert them)
But.. like.. reading over them doesn't seem like an active way of doing it :/
Any Tips?
Original post by tyler500
I listen to the poems on the way to college and stuff. Which helps to an extent. (i just get them from youtube and convert them)
Any Tips?

Uhm well I made a big sheet and divided u[p into 15 sections for all the Owen poems so I could put the most mportant quotes and points in them, and then I made another one with all different headings like "pararhyme", "diction" etc and then find examples from all the poems and that';; help link them =O that being said, I still need to fill in these sheets DX And for Gatsby... I'm picking out the best quotations and learning them, same for criics, and making sure I know what happens in each chapter. I'm kinda lost for Gatsby as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
Uhm well I made a big sheet and divided u[p into 15 sections for all the Owen poems so I could put the most mportant quotes and poems in them, and then I made another one with all different headings like "pararhyme", "diction" etc and then find examples from all the poems and that';; help link them =O that being said, I still need to fill in these sheets DX And for Gatsby... I'm picking out the best quotations and learning them, same for criics, and making sure I know what happens ine ach novel. I'm kinda lost for Gatsby as well.

ahh, thanks :biggrin:
I wouldn't have the patience to do the Owen thing!
But thank you. I think it's ridiculous syllabus. We have to learn 15 poems and a whole book.
Dropping it next year anyway.
Gatsby and Robert Frost, currently procrastinating.
It shouldn't be too hard.
ahh, thanks :biggrin:
I wouldn't have the patience to do the Owen thing!
But thank you. I think it's ridiculous syllabus. We have to learn 15 poems and a whole book.
Dropping it next year anyway.

I agree it's loads of work DX But I love the book and some of the poems =O But really? aw D= Well then at least that's the end of this sort of revising for you then =D
Any Tips?

That's not revision.
You're not even reading the poems, you're having someone else do it for you.
How on earth are you planning to sit your exam?

How about:

reading some criticism, going through your class notes, annotating your poetry, thinking about what you might write about concerning themes/character in Gatsby, having a look at some past papers, essays you've written, model answers if you got given any...
calling up your friends and asking them to send your their essays?
Reply 13
Original post by forsaken_earth
That's not revision.
You're not even reading the poems, you're having someone else do it for you.
How on earth are you planning to sit your exam?

How about:

reading some criticism, going through your class notes, annotating your poetry, thinking about what you might write about concerning themes/character in Gatsby, having a look at some past papers, essays you've written, model answers if you got given any...
calling up your friends and asking them to send your their essays?

but listening to them helps me to remember them! We've gone over them a thousand times in class but I still can't remember them!
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
I'm more worried about Gatsby then Owen, mainly hitting A03... But having said that, I still need to LEARN owen =/

Really? :O Don't they give you the copy of the poem in the exam?? :confused:
Reply 15
but listening to them helps me to remember them! We've gone over them a thousand times in class but I still can't remember them!

you get the poem in the exam...?

If you try and make sense out of them you will remember things better
The point isn't to learn 20 poems of by heart, it's to learn something about those poems and being able to talk about one (which you'll have in front of you) in relation to a few others.
What good is knowing them off by heart if you don't have anything to say about them?

You still have time, go revise!!
Original post by HazyMonsoon
Really? :O Don't they give you the copy of the poem in the exam?? :confused:

They do, but worried about knowing quotes/features of other poems to reference. I'm done revising Owen now though, all stressed about Gatsby. T.T I really don't know much.

Quick Reply