The Student Room Group

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crazydavy
Can someone tell me a bit about their view of the game? I'm unsure as to whether I'll like it or not. I wasn't a huge fan of Mass Effect or Dragon Age Origins but I suppose I never really got into it. With Dragon Age I didn't like the 3rd person view, and with Mass Effect I felt lost from the story line and the side quests were all the same, just with different skins on the planet so I got bored and stopped playing. The 'choose a response' thing in Mass Effect got a little tedious for me. However, I love dragons and anything with swords, good combat, and adventure (as long as you don't feel disconnected from the story line). It's not the same but I enjoy WoW for example. I just don't want to waste any money on it if it turns out I don't like it so if someone can give me their opinion on the game that would be great. I'd rather someone doesn't tell me to read a review, I just want point of views from different people. Thanks :smile:

Erm... I wouldnt know how to promote Skyrim, but i really did not get along with Dragon Age Origins. It got under my skin...

Skyrim is more like you have main-quests and sub quests, do as you please... There will a lot to do and well won't like Dragon Origins, Thank God...
But yeah its got dragons, swords, combat and adventure =D
I understand why you liked WoW, its different and similar is some ways... I'm sure someone else could elaborate
Reply 1781
Original post by Eternal*
What format/console are you lot getting Skyrim on?

For me its definitely Xbox360

PC, if only for the modding capabilities. I'm still playing Oblivion thanks to the mods :tongue:

Will likely require a hefty computer to run with mods though so I can understand people's reasoning for going with consoles.
Original post by Truered
But I have too much of a backlog already, and I'm treating myself to SR3 next week :puppyeyes:

After watching a few more gameplay clips I'm strongly leading towards Skyrim now, it'll be fun to traverse the land shooting people with arrows :woo: (But why must every player on gameplay videos be naff? :sigh: )

I know nothing about SR3 so cant comment... :puppyeyes:
Honestly I'm not getting Skyrim till Feb, due to personal stuff going on, yes i know, its murder. But i guess I just cant

The gameplay sucks the way they show it on trailers and vids, I'd rather do enjoy it personally, so ignore the vids, its much more amazing :woo:

Im glad they didnt make it with the Kinect
Reply 1783
Original post by tface
Asda are now saying PS3 Skyrim is out of stock, and mine is still on backorder...

I'm cancelling my preorder from Asda. I'll just go into the store/city centre on Friday and buy it, I'm not risking it coming late. If it hasn't been dispatched yet I don't think it looks hopeful :angry:
Original post by Zorg
PC, if only for the modding capabilities. I'm still playing Oblivion thanks to the mods :tongue:

Will likely require a hefty computer to run with mods though so I can understand people's reasoning for going with consoles.

But is it enjoyable like that? Doesn't it kill the game play or the whole purpose?
But is it enjoyable like that? Doesn't it kill the game play or the whole purpose?

How could mods kill the gameplay? They can add so much more to a game!
Original post by shavid123

I'll take your word for it, I've never tried it!
Reply 1787

Most mods, admittedly, are nudity mods :tongue:

(not really, but still)
I can see a very popular mod being one that lets you ride the dragons. A feature not present in the actual game, unfortunately.

Original post by wibletg
Most mods, admittedly, are nudity mods :tongue:

(not really, but still)

Enjoy your mods, whatever they may be =D !!!!!!! :rolleyes:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I can see a very popular mod being one that lets you ride the dragons. A feature not present in the actual game, unfortunately.

Can you actually see it...?
Or is this your intuition showing you this...? (Sorry I'm feeling very sarcy tonight)
Reply 1791

Depends on what kind of mods you add. Basically you add what you want, some people cheat the system, some people make it look stunning, some people add stuff to make the game longer.

This just looks fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UoTFPoAjTq4
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1792
I may end up buying the PC version at a later date so I can use mods. That's what I did with Oblivion anyway. However I don't enjoy gaming with a mouse and keyboard, so I'll be playing the Xbox version first.
Original post by Zorg
Depends on what kind of mods you add. Basically you add what you want, some people cheat the system, some people make it look stunning, some people add stuff to make the game longer.

This just looks fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UoTFPoAjTq4

I guess it's alright for those that are really into it, and have time for mod-ing...
Id rather just buy it on X360 and play it how it is, and stick to the general updates, and buy additional packs etc...
But i'm sure its interesting
I guess it's alright for those that are really into it, and have time for mod-ing...
Id rather just buy it on X360 and play it how it is, and stick to the general updates, and buy additional packs etc...
But i'm sure its interesting

Top rated oblivion mods:

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/fms/TopRated.php?content=oblivionmods

Not that much work at all to get them in and they can certainly breath a new life into the game.
Usually GAME / GAMESTATION employees get games early, or so my friends in Carlisle get. This isn't happening for SKYRIM, apparently both are now trying to sort out in excess of 50 pre orders each. They don't get that stock through in the opening days. I'm glad mine was one of the first, so mine's guaranteed.

So, on Friday when I get back from London, I get BF3, MW3 and SKYRIM. I hope the former two are still there, I put down £5 deposits on them, so they'd best be!

Also, I've been looking at DARK SOULS, and it looks fantastic! Anyone got it that can suggest it better then OXM?
I don't have money for Skyrim, so can see myself going back to Oblivion jealously until Christmas or something.
Original post by Tapner
I may end up buying the PC version at a later date so I can use mods. That's what I did with Oblivion anyway. However I don't enjoy gaming with a mouse and keyboard, so I'll be playing the Xbox version first.

You can play PC games with an xbox controller :smile:
Original post by Truered
I know this is a biased place to ask, but at the moment I'm having trouble deciding between this or Arkham City for Christmas.

I enjoyed AA, and the game looks fun, yet Arkham city hasn't been enough to make me think "nah I'll wait for skyrim" it just hasn't quite clicked with me.

I managed to forget to buy Oblivion (for about three years running now) but I do find myself curious. So far I've watched various gameplay/trailers but I'm still on the fence. I deeply enjoyed Fallout 3 (which I think is from the same people, unless there are various different divisions within the company) but I'm also wary about bugs being found in such a large game at first (though of course if I have to wait until Christmas, patches might be out). I'm not comparing this game to it, but I did quite enjoy Fable 2 and did get sucked into that fantasy world for a while, so I guess if Skyrim is as immersive as that (and it'll probably be much more so) I'd enjoy it a lot :yes:

Oh and it'd have to be the 360 version...

I am indeed biased, but in terms of the size of the game, the amount you can do with the game, and the re-playability of the game, Skyrim will win and AA won't be even close. I'm not a 'gamer' like a world of warcraft player or anything, in fact most people wouldn't consider me a gamer at all, but even I can say that you immerse yourself completely in the Elder Scrolls series. They don't have to take over your life or anything, you can turn it off and go back to your regular life, but when you're playing it you feel like you can do anything, and there's so much exploration to do. That's something that I don't think many (or any?) games could quite match.

5 years on, Oblivion remains a great game (the best of its decade) so it's still worth checking out. Maybe buy it (it can be picked up for £7 or so), and if you like it then move on to Skyrim in a couple of months.
Reply 1799
Original post by LtCommanderData
You can play PC games with an xbox controller :smile:

You're right, I forgot about that feature. Thanks. :smile:

The PC version is normally cheaper, so picking up both copies won't hurt, but not for a few months at least. I want to be able to get the achievements anyway.

Even with mods, I prefered playing Oblvion on my Xbox.

Quick Reply

Latest