This discussion is closed.
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I remember my fourth grade teacher telling me that there were polar ice caps on mars, just like earth. He even showed the class radio telescope blow up image things that depicted what used to be rivers etc. Did they really spend that much money just to find out what I was told when I was 10 years old??? C'mon, I want something a little better than frozen water. Why are they calling it frozen water anyway, is 'ice' too plain or too technical a term to be thrown around willy nilly?
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
I remember my fourth grade teacher telling me that there were polar ice caps on mars, just like earth. He even showed the class radio telescope blow up image things that depicted what used to be rivers etc. Did they really spend that much money just to find out what I was told when I was 10 years old??? C'mon, I want something a little better than frozen water. Why are they calling it frozen water anyway, is 'ice' too plain or too technical a term to be thrown around willy nilly?
well water would be a possibility that there is life on mars.They said dried up rivers but they dont no if asteroids done that.But anyway water has never been found on the south pole up until today
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Why are they calling it frozen water anyway, is 'ice' too plain or too technical a term to be thrown around willy nilly?
The ice caps on other planets contain not just frozen water but frozen CO2, nitrogen and other gases.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if our ice caps melt we can just bring some back from mars. although it will probably melt on earth anyway.
LPK
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
if our ice caps melt we can just bring some back from mars. although it will probably melt on earth anyway.
or melt on the way to earth
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
or melt on the way to earth
not if they're towed in space.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
The ice caps on other planets contain not just frozen water but frozen CO2, nitrogen and other gases.
*nods* I'm aware of that, but did they really have to try and be technical? Are they covering up for a lack of finding anything else besides a bit of red dirt? I'd like to know if there is any moisture within the soil that covers the planets surface, perhaps any word of nutrients. But all they tell us is something I heard almost 13 years ago?
LPK
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
not if they're towed in space.
damn i will never prove you wrong will i
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
damn i will never prove you wrong will i
Everything freezes in space, there is no atmosphere. Also, elpaw is a wise old sage if ever there was one, good luck to proving him wrong
LPK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sire)
Everything freezes in space, there is no atmosphere. Also, elpaw is a wise old sage if ever there was one, good luck to proving him wrong
thanks

when do you next have work
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The reason why America spends so much on space exploration to mars is because it is the 'new America' in many respects. However can colonise it first is in for $$$. The fact that there is ice there means humans ability to live there will become much easier and quicker. Its a very important discovery. It means they dont have to lugg 10,000 bottles of Evian across space.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
They are also much further away.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thanks

when do you next have work
I no longer work. I've finished up and am leaving town in a few days. You've got my help until then lol
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
The reason why America spends so much on space exploration to mars is because it is the 'new America' in many respects. However can colonise it first is in for $$$. The fact that there is ice there means humans ability to live there will become much easier and quicker. Its a very important discovery. It means they dont have to lugg 10,000 bottles of Evian across space.
I'm guessing that none of you people were in the Boy Scouts. It is possible to supply one human being with enough water each day from 3 plants. This also allows for watering the plant to keep it alive. Lugging water would be no problem at all, unless a few contracts were signed under the table. Do you really think they will colonise the place. What about the moon?
LPK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sire)
I no longer work. I've finished up and am leaving town in a few days. You've got my help until then lol
when you leave town will you still come back on here
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
I'm guessing that none of you people were in the Boy Scouts. It is possible to supply one human being with enough water each day from 3 plants. This also allows for watering the plant to keep it alive. Lugging water would be no problem at all, unless a few contracts were signed under the table. Do you really think they will colonise the place. What about the moon?
The moon will be done first. Its lower gravity means its more economical to launch ships. Yes, Mars will be colonized one day. By the lloks of things it will have valuable resources there.

I wasnt just refering to drinking water for humans. That covers a very small amount of what would be needed to sustain human existence.
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by El_Borish)
oh god, this'll proabbly only push Bush more ro settle on mars and the moon
I'd rather he was spending money on peaceful, collaborative efforts to explore the universe than on invading other countries... such exploration can only unite the world to one common goal, so IMO it's money well spent.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
when you leave town will you still come back on here
I'll try to, but I doubt I'd be able to be here for more than about 20 minutes once or twice a week. Pretty soon I'll be sliding down onto the second page of the members list, never to be remembered for anything worthwhile at all. Though I've got a rather decent contribution in the Harry Potter thread.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
I'd rather he was spending money on peaceful, collaborative efforts to explore the universe than on invading other countries... such exploration can only unite the world to one common goal, so IMO it's money well spent.
why dont they give all the money to you then?

dont you think that would be a good idea?

*limecat nods in agreement*
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
I can just see the poor bugger sulking right now that there aren't any little hoodlums to launch an intergalatic war against.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads