This discussion is closed.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
More and more people are doing postgrads now in order to get decent jobs because of the increase of people in higher education. Now I'm not advocating that grads should get grants or anything or paid tuition but I think we should get some support seeing as the jobs arent available after undergrad the way they used to and most people arent now entering post grad education because they want to be academic but more because its necessary. Postgrad fees vary greatly between institutions and can be more than 5000 per year. I think that there should at least be a student loan scheme available for grads or they should be able to at least borrow back the amount that they didnt take out at undergrad or have paid back through working. Any opinons?
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Dont sum post grads get small salleries, at durham uni i've seen sum chem phds where they pay you bout £12000 a yr, i thought this was typical, i may be wrong.
viviki
Rep:
?
(Original post by cobra01977)
Dont sum post grads get small salleries, at durham uni i've seen sum chem phds where they pay you bout £12000 a yr, i thought this was typical, i may be wrong.
If you do a Phd some give you a salary but it varies and you get paid because theres normally some teaching or research involved. If you do amasters
eg. translation, journalism, law, management,engineering (just thinking about the people I'm in halls with) you dont get anything fees can be up to £5000 per year and there are no loans available. of course a postgrad is a personal choice and I'm not asking for a handout at all but i think there should be some sort of loan available. i'm really lucky I've been given a fund this year by applying to an educational foundation at home but I dont have time to work and I have to shell out £3000 per year accomm plus living expenses and books. My grad bank account runs out in sept and so my interest free overdraft will be reduced and I cant have a grad bank loan this year cos my course is 2 yrs and without earnings I cant pay it back, next year when my grad account goes I'm not eligible. I think there should be a fund available which you have to repay for grads too that has low interest rates.
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think your much more likley to get a salery in science research cos there is no teaching and large industry often puts lots of money in.
viviki
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I always assumed that post graduate students are as entitled to a student account as undergraduates.
Nope unless you are doing a 3 yr course the banks wont let you change it back I asked Lloyds and HSBC. I am in the last yr of my grad account so after june I only get the minimum overdraft aargh!!
viviki
Rep:
?
Not looked at career development yet trying to leave it as long as poss because after I do my 2 yrs i have to do an LPC year and I figure if I get money now I'll have nothing left. Lloyds told me when I had a finance interview thing that I wouldnt be eligible anyway dont know why and they dont actually do them do they? So it might be worth looking into. I am with Lloyds and they are crap I do have a HSBC account with about 2.50 in somewhere.
hildabeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There's ARHB funding, but there's not an awful lot to go round and it's done on a competitive basis. Apart from that your best bet is to aim for a scholarship, but this is again usually very competitive.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
viviki
Rep:
?
I've been looking, I;ve managed to get my tuition fee paid this year which is great but I'm still having trouble living. All the seminars are on one day so they advertise the course that you can work at the same time so I thought i'd be ok with a job in a cafe or something but what they didnt tell you about was the 60 hours a week reading and prep I'd be doing I just dont have the time to work.
I'm hoping to get work exp this summer and hopefully they'll love me and give me money but its getting me down a bit being so broke I've only been out about 6 times in Sheffield all term and I've only been clubbing once. its depressing
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
28.57%
No (17)
60.71%
Don't know (3)
10.71%

Watched Threads