The Student Room Group

Would like to join the army... But dont want to go to war.

Delete
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can’t just join the army for 6 months, 3 years is the minimum I think. If you bail you can go to jail. This isnt COD, bootcamp doesnt exist in the British army

You can join the army as a dentist, you wouldn’t get sent into battle and start with an immediate rank of Captain if I remember correctly
Reply 2
No you can not just leave, there is a chance of prison sentence for abandonment.
I'm sure there are places out there that simulate military training for people who want to test themselves mentally and physically.
Reply 3
The army wouldn't have you.

No, is the answer.
Original post by Renner
You can’t just join the army for 6 months, 3 years is the minimum I think. If you bail you can go to jail. This isnt COD, bootcamp doesnt exist in the British army

You can join the army as a dentist, you wouldn’t get sent into battle and start with an immediate rank of Captain if I remember correctly

Correct, my mate just came out after 3 weeks. They give you a month's trial contract with 14 day notice period, after that you're in for 3 year.

They're not going to invest all that money training you and allow you to walk away without giving anything back.
Reply 5
Original post by 0zzy94
Hey guys,

I'm going to be doing Dentistry soon, but when I come out of Uni instead of starting dentistry, I'd like to join the army for about 4-6 months.

I wanna join for the boot camp, the training. I think it would be great for me, toughen me up, teach me a few combat skills, descipline, would get stronger etc etc.

HOWEVER, I do not wanna join if I have to go to war, I'm not going to Afghanistan or Iraq... no way in hell...

Is there a way of joining without being shipped off? or is there anything equivilent to the army training?

Grow up.
Reply 6
Join the gym.
Reply 7
Isn't that like saying "I want to get paid, but don't want a job"?
Reply 8
pretty sure the army wouldnt want you.
Join the gym and get someone to shout at you whilst waving a riding crop around as you exercise.
Reply 10
Wtf! I was having this chat with a bloke at uni - it's not all frontline infantry.
Just join Air Cadets or University Training Corps? That's what I'm doing. :borat:
Reply 12
Original post by TheSownRose
Join the gym and get someone to shout at you whilst waving a riding crop around as you exercise.

That's more of a fetish in all honesty.
Reply 13
It's like studying medicine and while thinking that I don't want to work as a doctor. But in Finland all 18 yrs old guys have to go to army for few months if they don't have any special reason why they can't go (poor health, mental illnes, depression). I personally think that it's ridiculous old tradition.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Joinedup
That's more of a fetish in all honesty.

Maybe OP would like that... :sexface:
Reply 15
Original post by 0zzy94
Hey guys,

I'm going to be doing Dentistry soon, but when I come out of Uni instead of starting dentistry, I'd like to join the army for about 4-6 months.

I wanna join for the boot camp, the training. I think it would be great for me, toughen me up, teach me a few combat skills, descipline, would get stronger etc etc.

HOWEVER, I do not wanna join if I have to go to war, I'm not going to Afghanistan or Iraq... no way in hell...

Is there a way of joining without being shipped off? or is there anything equivilent to the army training?

lol first you went to uni to study dentistry but you don't want to work as a dentist and now you want to be trained as a soldier but don't want to be a soldier.
There is a way but it will be hell. Basically, you join the French foreign legion, similar to the army more intense and they have some epic training facilities and basically will be what your looking for. However, you have to be a good liar because the majority of the folks that join it are ready to die. If they take you, you sign a 5 year contract but whilst your doing the training if you can't hack it (training last about 5 months I think not fully sure) you leave, it's not uncommon for the softies to leave after training because of the intensity of it.
Original post by prescilla
It's like studying medicine and while thinking that I don't want to work as a doctor.

Not really...

That's a perfectly valid choice. There are non-practicing doctors.
Reply 18
Join the French foreign legions.
Reply 19
Original post by 0zzy94
Hey guys,

You are pretty much saying that you want to use the tax payers money, to toughen you up, without giving anything back to this country, thankfully the army won't let you do that.

So how about you clear the dust off of you wallet and join an mma or boxing gym.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending