This discussion is closed.
Mariam Safe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
A couple of weeks ago, the BBC presenter Kilroy wrote a very racist article on Arabs, viciously labelling them. Then the BBC took his chat show of air. There was a media flurry on “the freedom of speech”. Ironically, the BBCs decision was nothing to do with freedom of speech- it was to do with universal human values that we should not lie, accuse or brand people.

Now on the other we have a real freedom of speech issue. Being anti Israeli is being anti-Jewish (don’t use the word ‘anti Semitic’ because Arabs have as much right to call themselves that). Thoughts?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3421669.stm
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mariam Safe)
A couple of weeks ago, the BBC presenter Kilroy wrote a very racist article on Arabs, viciously labelling them. Then the BBC took his chat show of air. There was a media flurry on “the freedom of speech”. Ironically, the BBCs decision was nothing to do with freedom of speech- it was to do with universal human values that we should not lie, accuse or brand people.

Now on the other we have a real freedom of speech issue. Being anti Israeli is being anti-Jewish (don’t use the word ‘anti Semitic’ because Arabs have as much right to call themselves that). Thoughts?

Being anti-Israel isn't anti-Jew.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mariam Safe)
A couple of weeks ago, the BBC presenter Kilroy wrote a very racist article on Arabs, viciously labelling them.
what a comedian you are. labelling Arab States what? populated with suicide bombers, limb amputators and women oppressors? thats the truth dear, vicious as it may be.

Then the BBC took his chat show of air. There was a media flurry on “the freedom of speech”. Ironically, the BBCs decision was nothing to do with freedom of speech- it was to do with universal human values that we should not lie, accuse or brand people.
no, it was to do with impartiality. but carry on, im aching...

yes, she has the freedom to express this hideous view. but she should expect the criticism that she has received from every part of the political spectrum. advocating the use of terrorism, killing innocent civilians, does very little for your credibility.

perhaps you will be able to explain why Tom Paulin who said that Palestinians should go onto Israeli land and kill Israeli citizens has not been relieved or reprimanded by the BBC.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
Being anti-Israel isn't anti-Jew.
no. although its easy to come to that conclusion.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't really understand what this MP has said wrong.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't really understand what this MP has said wrong.
politicians who advocate suicide bombing against innocent people have to be questioned. i find it worrying that you dont see this.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
She was on the BBC news programme and obviously she was justifying what she had already said but the comments that she made were very different than the ones that the presenter was trying to say that she made. She categorically stated that she in no way supports suicide bombing and that she thinks that it is very wrong. But she said that she thinks that part of resolving the problem is trying to understand it. She could see that if she lived in that society and was born into the same values then she could understand how someone could become a suicide bomber. That is in no way condoning or supporting suicide bombing. The media have quoted her completely out of context and are trying to sensationalise what she said to get a story and of course all of this is very topical at the moment so they want to prolongue it as long as possible.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
She was on the BBC news programme and obviously she was justifying what she had already said but the comments that she made were very different than the ones that the presenter was trying to say that she made. She categorically stated that she in no way supports suicide bombing and that she thinks that it is very wrong. But she said that she thinks that part of resolving the problem is trying to understand it. She could see that if she lived in that society and was born into the same values then she could understand how someone could become a suicide bomber. That is in no way condoning or supporting suicide bombing. The media have quoted her completely out of context and are trying to sensationalise what she said to get a story and of course all of this is very topical at the moment so they want to prolongue it as long as possible.
"If I had to live in that situation - and I say that advisedly - I might just consider becoming one myself"

"having seen the violence and the humiliation and the provocation that the Palestinian people live under every day and have done since their land was occupied by Israel, I could understand where [suicide bombers] were coming from"

out of context?
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I cant say i really understand the middle eastern conflicts however i'm sure it has something to do with Geroge Dubuwa! - just for a change.
Anyway - Suicide bombers? - its a bit of a silly thing to say by an MP in our media obsessed society.
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't think Vienna you realise just how desperate people must be to blow themselves up! Perhaps because they feel the Israeli's in their tanks are seen as legitimate killers.. :rolleyes:
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
"If I had to live in that situation - and I say that advisedly - I might just consider becoming one myself"

"having seen the violence and the humiliation and the provocation that the Palestinian people live under every day and have done since their land was occupied by Israel, I could understand where [suicide bombers] were coming from"

out of context?
Well I didnt hear what she said in the first place but that isnt what she said on TV this morning. She said (obviously this is in my own words) that she was against suicide bombing but she thought that if someone was born into that society she could see how people became suicide bombers and that it was important to understand where they were coming from in the light of their background. i thought that was a valid point.
She went to great pains to say that she was against suicide bombing.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
politicians who advocate suicide bombing against innocent people have to be questioned. i find it worrying that you dont see this.
I find it worrying that you label Israelis innocent. What about Israeli
air-strikes against civilian targets.

A British peace-campaigner died last week after being shot by an Israeli soldier.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
I don't think Vienna you realise just how desperate people must be to blow themselves up!
oh forgive me. that justifies it of course..
what a completely idiotic comment.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Loads more Palestians are killed daily than Israeli's- they don't have the weapons to fight them. It may not be morally right, but that's all they feel they can do.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Well I didnt hear what she said in the first place but that isnt what she said on TV this morning. She said (obviously this is in my own words) that she was against suicide bombing but she thought that if someone was born into that society she could see how people became suicide bombers and that it was important to understand where they were coming from in the light of their background. i thought that was a valid point.
She went to great pains to say that she was against suicide bombing.
yes, this morning, after she had been given a dressing down by Charles Kennedy. wake up, the LD's have a nightmare on their hands and distanced themselves very quickly.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oh forgive me. that justifies it of course..
what a completely idiotic comment.
Idiotic comment? Vienna I think the term aptly referred to you on countless occasions by people who read your posts......

Did i say it "justified" it, but you can't see things in black and white. But sorry..you can because you are..Vienna :rolleyes:
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes, this morning, after she had been given a dressing down by Charles Kennedy. wake up, the LD's have a nightmare on their hands and distanced themselves very quickly.
There is no nightmare, she announced ages ago that she is standing down at the next election.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what a comedian you are. labelling Arab States what? populated with suicide bombers, limb amputators and women oppressors? thats the truth dear, vicious as it may be.

no, it was to do with impartiality. but carry on, im aching...

yes, she has the freedom to express this hideous view. but she should expect the criticism that she has received from every part of the political spectrum. advocating the use of terrorism, killing innocent civilians, does very little for your credibility.

perhaps you will be able to explain why Tom Paulin who said that Palestinians should go onto Israeli land and kill Israeli citizens has not been relieved or reprimanded by the BBC.

Now Vienna....LOL.."Israeli land"....i didnt think you would be THAT silly to make such a comment....
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Pity about the other 40 or so lines of the article though.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I find it worrying that you label Israelis innocent.
so Israeli citizens are all guilty, yet there is uproar if we label all Arabs terrorists? hmmm...righto.

What about Israeli
air-strikes against civilian targets.
air-strikes against terrorist targets. i have never denied the measures taken by Israel, but this is about whether suicide bombing should be condoned. it is obvious that no matter what the situation, it should clearly not be.

A British peace-campaigner died last week after being shot by an Israeli soldier.
he was shot almost a year ago and has been 'dead' since August.

the day before, 4 israelis died when their compassion allowed a mother to blow them up. this tit for tat argument can go on forever if you want.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads