Read this article Watch

This discussion is closed.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mariam Safe)
Very interesting issue you’ve raised and I think I can give a explanation.
I’ve only got a GSCE in Biology and its been 3 years, but have you heard of a concept called the “Reflex Arc”? If toddlers puts their hand into a fire the electrical signals, stimuli, which in normal circumstances go from the pain receptors in their skin to their brains and from their brains to the muscles in their arm, bypass their brains altogether and go directly to the muscles in their arms, so they quickly take it alway from the fire. They almost instinctivly "learn" that fire is hot, hot is bad.

A child therefore can identify what will "harm" him or her. Is it unreasonable to assume that he/she can idenify things that can harm others too? Although I have recently become vegan now, I was inspired to do so when I was very young- I saw a programme on animal testing and decided that I wouldn't like it done on me.

So using my understanding of your argument, you are a vegan because you identified that it caused harm to other beings when you were very young, so surely if everyone was born with the same instincts and reacted the same way then everyone would make that choice to be a vegan. This clearly isnt the case in reality.
Mariam Safe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
So using my understanding of your argument, you are a vegan because you identified that it caused harm to other beings when you were very young, so surely if everyone was born with the same instincts and reacted the same way then everyone would make that choice to be a vegan. This clearly isnt the case in reality.
My point was that I would have become vegan no matter where I grew up, be it in Israel, England, or a planet far far away.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mariam Safe)
My point was that I would have become vegan no matter where I grew up, be it in Israel, England, or a planet far far away.
How do you know that? If you hadnt seen programmes on it when you were young? would you have had the same values in your brain.
I'm a vegetarian and trying to be vegan but its mainly because of someone who is a vegan giving me information and providing me with support I am sure I wouldnt be one if it wasnt for her. i couldnt guarantee what i would be in a another culture.
Mariam Safe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
How do you know that? If you hadnt seen programmes on it when you were young? would you have had the same values in your brain.
I'm a vegetarian and trying to be vegan but its mainly because of someone who is a vegan giving me information and providing me with support I am sure I wouldnt be one if it wasnt for her. i couldnt guarantee what i would be in a another culture.
I’m really happy you are trying to be vegan, go for it!

For a child to want to become a vegetarian he or she only has to realise three things (in this order of complexity):

that pain is a bad thing (instinctive)
animals are living creatures (instinctive)
living creatures feel pain (link)

I became vegan because I don’t like the idea that animals are being artificially bred for sole purpose of consumption by man. I think becoming vegan requires a much more sophisticated understanding of ethics which you’d expect children to be incapable of grasping:

pain is a bad thing
animals are living creatures
living creatures feel pain
denigrating living creatures is wrong

Of course, the environment in which a child grows up is important and it definatly can alter his/her way of thinking. Seeing adults, role models, eat meat makes it acceptable for them to do the same. This is why I think children cannot be guilty of anything but can distinguish negative things from positive ones in a vrty broad sense.

Back to your original point that what is deemed right and wrong in one society may not be the same as what is right and wrong here. If that were true, would you consider becoming vegan?

(Really sorry for the late reply)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1527)
79.28%
Leave (399)
20.72%

Watched Threads