The Student Room Group

Anyone applied to RGU or Strathclyde for Pharmacy?

If so.. have you heard back from any? I got an unconditional from RGU yayyyyyy.. nothing from Strathclyde though. Although medicine is my first choice...so see what happens.

Scroll to see replies

I applied to Strathclyde but no news as yet. They don't make any decisions until the application deadline has passed (which was midnight last night) so I would guess we should start hearing from them soon.... :smile:
ive applied to robert gordon. ill only receive conditionals this year tho. good luck!!
Reply 3
hello! iv also applied for rgu and strathclyde, havn't heard back from either yet. i hate this waiting around! :frown: x
Reply 4
hey, i've applied to both uni's to do Pharmacy. What were your grades in S5?
Reply 5
Hey, i've applied to both uni's. Got a conditional from RGU but still waiting to hear from strathclyde, hopefully soon though!
Reply 6
Applied to strath as a graduate from pharmacology at Glasgow. Applied to medicine though and was 5th choice. I've been accepted to do the 2 year pre-reg physiotherapy MSc at QMU. God knows what I'll end up doing :/
Original post by BigDirty
Applied to strath as a graduate from pharmacology at Glasgow. Applied to medicine though and was 5th choice. I've been accepted to do the 2 year pre-reg physiotherapy MSc at QMU. God knows what I'll end up doing :/

Hey,

My situation is quite similar to yours. I am a graduate in medicinal chemistry. I have also applied to medicine. My 5th choice was pharmacy at rgu where I have an unconditional offer. I thought about strathclyde, but they want 5 A's at higher including a 2.1 in your degree.

Have you heard from any of your medicine choices. Also, I was thinking of doing the 2 year pre-reg audiology masters at Qmu, but I am not sure how easy it is to get a job with it. What is physiotherapy job prospects like with the masters.
Reply 8
Original post by firestar101
Hey,

My situation is quite similar to yours. I am a graduate in medicinal chemistry. I have also applied to medicine. My 5th choice was pharmacy at rgu where I have an unconditional offer. I thought about strathclyde, but they want 5 A's at higher including a 2.1 in your degree.

Have you heard from any of your medicine choices. Also, I was thinking of doing the 2 year pre-reg audiology masters at Qmu, but I am not sure how easy it is to get a job with it. What is physiotherapy job prospects like with the masters.

Hey dude! Ive had a rejection from Edinburgh and dundee already. Just waiting to hear from Aberdeen now. I had the grades at school for pharmacy and I got an offer but I didn't take it because I felt I didn't want to do it. But things have changed and now I just want a job (none in pharmacology). I'm hoping they'll give me an offer even though my personal statement was aimed towards medicine but that hasn't been a problem for you.

Heard qmu is an excellent uni for the health degrees. Job prospects for physiotherapy aren't great but aren't awful - especially if your willing to move away for a job.

I just don't know how much more uni I can handle. The two year MSc interested me cause a lot of it is placements.

So what interested you in audiology?
Original post by BigDirty
Hey dude! Ive had a rejection from Edinburgh and dundee already. Just waiting to hear from Aberdeen now. I had the grades at school for pharmacy and I got an offer but I didn't take it because I felt I didn't want to do it. But things have changed and now I just want a job (none in pharmacology). I'm hoping they'll give me an offer even though my personal statement was aimed towards medicine but that hasn't been a problem for you.

Heard qmu is an excellent uni for the health degrees. Job prospects for physiotherapy aren't great but aren't awful - especially if your willing to move away for a job.

I just don't know how much more uni I can handle. The two year MSc interested me cause a lot of it is placements.

So what intierested you in audiology?

I also got rejected by dundee. Still waiting to hear from aberdeen. Yeah, rgu did not care that I had a medicine personal statement. They have asked me to send certificates, as I have an unconditional offer. I would say rgu is good for pharmacy, as it has 100 percent employment for the course and is good for community and hospital pharmacy. I would rather get.into medicine, though.

Did many people in your year group get a job in pharmacology. I am looking at all sorts of graduate jobs and schemes. I have quite a bit of experience in business, even more so than science.

I think that audiology interests me because I would like to help people with their hearing.and the course looks interesting. I am just not sure what the job prospects are like for it.
Also, BIgdirty. Have you recently just graduated from the 4 year pharmacology degree. How old are you just now. I turned 23 in December.
Reply 11
Cool - kind of wish I'd applied to rgu but I don't know if I'd want to move away and do the whole uni thing for pharmacy starting now... But I'd do it for med.

I graduate in may and turn 22 in July. No one I know from course has set up a job yet - few doing teaching, few doing masters/phd, couple of us applied for med and a guy applied for dentistry. Tbh, the course is pretty bad bit you can get a years work experience if you done the masters but I knew that I didn't want to work in a lab for the rest of my life lol.
Hey, firestar101 - i applied for medicinal chemistry this year as well as pharmacy at Glasgow uni. Could you tell me what sort of content do you learn in this degree and what can you do at the end of the 4 years? ie what kind of job prospect and also, if i decide to study pharmacy after that, wuld i need to study the full 4 years ?
Original post by Jackie225
Hey, firestar101 - i applied for medicinal chemistry this year as well as pharmacy at Glasgow uni. Could you tell me what sort of content do you learn in this degree and what can you do at the end of the 4 years? ie what kind of job prospect and also, if i decide to study pharmacy after that, wuld i need to study the full 4 years ?

Hey, Jackie225

The type of content in the medicinal chemistry degree is modules like drug design, the design of drugs and their development. The modules are very drug based and practical. You also do chemistry modules, like physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, organic chemistry, etc.

I would say the job prospects are quite good, but it depends on the person, and how much experience they have, etc. You could go into research, business, accountancy, etc. It is a very versatile degree. It covers most skills that employers value. So, you could essentially go into anything with a degree in chemistry/medicinal chemistry. I have heard on directors of companies having degrees in chemistry, so it is a highly regarded degree by employers.

If you were to study pharmacy after doing medicinal chemistry, you still have to do all the 4 years of the pharmacy course. I think that there should be a fast track pharmacy course for graduates in a science based degree made up. Hopefully in the future.
Thanks for the reply! just a unconditional for Medicinal Chem at Glasgow uni! SOO excited :smile:

But Pharmacy's still my first choice

I would like to go into drug discovery, lab work, or hospital work at the end of my 4 year degree. Would you recommend me to study Medicinal Chem?
Thanks for the reply! just a unconditional for Medicinal Chem at Glasgow uni! SOO excited :smile:

I would like to go into drug discovery, lab work, or hospital work at the end of my 4 year degree. Would you recommend me to study Medicinal Chem?

Tbh, I believe in the Pharmacy course you do study about drug discovery and stuff.. but I think it's more how it's delivered to the body and what it's effects are as well as people-skills that are focussed on.. Whereas medicinal chemistry is about applying your knowledge to create new drugs. I think. My view :tongue:
You might have a tough decision to make :wink:

Yes. I would recommend it, if you plan on going into drug discovery, lab work, etc.
i also have applied for Chem with Drug Discovery at Strathclyde, 5 year degree tho. Haven't heard from them yet. Would it be possible to change course after 1 year at Glasgow uni? eg change to pharm at
strathclyde or a differnet science degree within glasgow uni?
So, any else got reply's back from RGU or Strathclyde for Pharmacy yet?? I'm still waiting...
Reply 19
Yeah i got an unconditional from RGU for pharmacy today :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending