Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Watch
Stu Laverty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Darth Vader 7)
Wait a second, you're telling me that he keeps the average salary for a footballer in the Premier league (£50k roughly) and gives the rest to Charity? I highly doubt it.
I don't know what percentage of his wage goes towards charity work, but it is a significant amount. So it's not a case of him just being a mercenary, he's using the money he gets for a good cause at least.
Darth Vader 7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Stu Laverty)
I don't know what percentage of his wage goes towards charity work, but it is a significant amount. So it's not a case of him just being a mercenary, he's using the money he gets for a good cause at least.
What is a significant amount though? £30k a week seems significant to us or to the organisations that he's donating to but that still leaves him with a monstrous £195k a week pay packet.

I'd still consider him a mercenary unless he was donating something like 50% of his wages.

Also, loads of players give to charity yet earn WAY less than Ade.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wait a second, you're telling me that he keeps the average salary for a footballer in the Premier league (£50k roughly) and gives the rest to Charity? I highly doubt it.
Who gives a **** what the average footballer in the premier league earns? What relevance does that have to anything?

(Original post by Stu Laverty)
Agree with this and I think he tries to set up long term projects and devotes time to it rather than just throwing money to make himself feel good.

What is a significant amount though? £30k a week seems significant to us or to the organisations that he's donating to but that still leaves him with a monstrous £195k a week pay packet.

I'd still consider him a mercenary unless he was donating something like 50% of his wages.

Also, loads of players give to charity yet earn WAY less than Ade.
Adebayor did what every footballer does, negotiated and tried to get the best deal he possibly could. Why is he a mercency if a club was willing to offer him the contract for that wage and for that length?

He went for money and the possibility of trophies, unfortunately the latter has not quite happened because City spent more money on other strikers. However he does not want to give up the money he is entitled to because it enables him to continue to make significant contributions to good causes.

Let's not forget how much money would go to tax too and just because he isn't donating all his money to charity now, doesn't mean he won't in the future.

If he gave away 90% of his money now, he'll retire from football before the age of 35 and then what? Can't support himself for another 30 years or can't continue to help charitable causes?

If I were him, I'd give less now and then after retiring, devote more time and money to the causes.

At least he's trying to make a difference to the world.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What Adebayor does with his money is irrelevant to his situation. No football club will pay the wages that Manchester City have signed up for so they are likely to be stuck with him (and he with them, of course) and having to find more loan deals to mitigate the problem. The alternative is to sell him on a deal by which the new club pays him normal wages and City uses the purchase proceeds to make up the difference in his pay (or some equivalent). There is only a year or so left on his contract (though he may have unreasonable expectations that he will always be able to get such an inflated income) so the difference is "only" about £8 million.
TheBallWinner
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Adebayor gets overpaid full stop. So him donating a percentage of it is fabulous to be fair and good on him.

Still can't believe it looks liked AVB ahead of Rafa
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
With Bale's new contract, it looks to be pay cut or back to City for Ade... which is right imo. If we want this new stadium, we need to be looking at cutting dead expense. Ade is good, but not that good.

In other news, any Spurs fans within reach of Stevenage should totally come to the pre-season friendly on Weds 18 July. £20 a ticket for adults/£14 U21s. £20 I thought was a bit steep, but I suppose I'm happy to see a club like Stevenage continue to develop the way it has.
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
With Bale's new contract, it looks to be pay cut or back to City for Ade... which is right imo. If we want this new stadium, we need to be looking at cutting dead expense. Ade is good, but not that good.

In other news, any Spurs fans within reach of Stevenage should totally come to the pre-season friendly on Weds 18 July. £20 a ticket for adults/£14 U21s. £20 I thought was a bit steep, but I suppose I'm happy to see a club like Stevenage continue to develop the way it has.
£20 for a friendly against a non-team is an absolute nonsense tbph. On a point of principle it should be boycotted.
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mess.)
£20 for a friendly against a non-team is an absolute nonsense tbph. On a point of principle it should be boycotted.
As was the £49 we were charged for Fulham and the £59 for Chelsea, and we still sold all our allocation. Fans will be stretched, it seems
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As was the £49 we were charged for Fulham and the £59 for Chelsea, and we still sold all our allocation. Fans will be stretched, it seems
Absolutely ridiculous. I was amazed when the Dortmund fans refused to go to an away game because they were being charged 20euros. Nobody went and they lowered the price. Pity the fan schemes can't organise fans as easily.
doggyfizzel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Pretty sure much like the Drog, Ade is pretty heavily involved with giving money back to his community. I doubt Ade will drop his wage demands enough for Spurs. He would need to accept less than 100k p/w, which I can't see him doing. Unless of course he gets a mutual termination with City, then he could do a Ballack and money saved in transfer is seen in wages.

Interesting how the Modric situation is developing looks like a win win for Spurs, either you keep him, he leaves and you get Sahin in return, or he leaves for a shed load and AVB moves in for Moutinho if the rumours are to be believed.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Considering what Yak got, I won't be surprised if Ade goes to China as well.
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Here we go, here we go, here we go. It's official.

Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

He has officially signed? Interesting :beard:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
UniOfLife
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Is AVB like a younger and not quite as good Mourinho?
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by UniOfLife)
Is AVB like a younger and not quite as good Mourinho?
He isn't as charismatic and doesn't breed the ridiculous loyalty that Mourinho does but he is clearly a very clever manager with a very forward thinking philosophy. Would have really liked him at Liverpool.
Should do great at Tottenham though, just needs the players to buy into his system which will involve a manager actually telling players what to do, rotation and training at the very least.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Colbert
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Great news to see AVB back, if he fails again then fair enough we can call him a bottler nd he can retire to Italy or back to Portugal but all the whispers and promises of his gorgeous footballing philosophy might finally make an appearance upon these fair isles :sogood:

When does Sigurdsson sign tbh? And that Vermaelen Mk.II?
ahq
Badges: 15
Report 8 years ago
I think Villas Boas could be really fantastic for you guys. :yep:
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Abiraleft)
I think Villas Boas could be really fantastic for you guys. :yep:
The problem would be in his man management skills. By all accounts he had a lot of problems with the more senior players at Chelsea, which may have involved a battle of wills, and there may be a degree of prejudice against him within the Spurs dressing room. If he can turn that around his favoured style should suit the Tottenham ethos very well - and he favours rotation!
Laertes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Glad to see AVB appointed; personally I think he's a perfect replacement for Redknapp, if only for the fact he understands what tactics are. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with this transfer window too. Vertonghen and Sigurdsson both look like bargains.

He's actually on £225k. There is no way a sensible person would take him on. His wages are disgusting for what he actually contributes on the pitch. You could get much better with wages a quarter that tbh.
That's absolute bull****. Even The Sun - who regularly claim Touré is paid £250k p/w - don't claim that. By most accounts he's on somewhere between £150-180k p/w.

That said, I agree that his wages are disgusting when you consider his performances.
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can see AVB crumbling like he did with Chelsea, Spurs will just about scrape Europa League football next season in my honest opinion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.23%
I'm not sure (59)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (380)
29.39%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.86%
I'm not a current university student (633)
48.96%

Watched Threads