Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Watch
DaveSmith99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
didier think you were in champions league? :rofl2:

(Sorry, I feel for you guys and wanted Bayern to win, it just made me laugh )
De Chirico
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In all seriousness, unlucky guys. You got 4th and should have been rewarded with CL footy.
CrazyPyramid
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Commiserations from the toon. The whole 'that could have been us' in the air is palpable, bad luck guys =/
Mister Dead
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is very tough on you Spurs. Think it could set you back years, with Bale, Modric and quite possibly VDV looking elsewhere. Tough breaks, especially to lose it to such an utter buch of *****.
bax121
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As an Arsenal fan I'm a bit disappointed we didn't come fourth, it would have shown the board that aiming for the bare minimum is not enough. Its a sad state of affairs for the sport when your goal is just to qualify for a competition you have no chance of winning (talking about Arsenal here).
Sephiroth
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm surprised no one (especially at Tottenham) is making a fuss about it and pushing for a rule change. Both Tottenham and Chelsea deserve to be in the CL. The winning slot needs to be independent of the other country slots. But I suppose it makes sense in a way. 6th and 7th only join the EL if the winners of the CC and FAC finish high enough.
NYRengaaa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
robocop1andahalf
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
PMSL if any Spurs fans are reacting like it is the end of the world for only getting into the Europa League.

What's so bad about it? It's still a Euro trophy to aim for and worth taking seriously and there is no need for such snobbery against it.
Funtry
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
subbed. COYS! :woo:
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by robocop1andahalf)
PMSL if any Spurs fans are reacting like it is the end of the world for only getting into the Europa League.

What's so bad about it? It's still a Euro trophy to aim for and worth taking seriously and there is no need for such snobbery against it.
Preparing to be in the line of fire for mentioning us in the same breath as Manchester United/City and Arsenal, but our sights were set higher. We have played in the Champions League before and we wanted to do it again. We've been losing many of our best players (Campbell, Sheringham, set to lose Modric/Bale) to the Champions League regulars. The Europa League offers no route to the Champions League and as such is rightly viewed as detached and second-rate compared to the latter.

Would Arsenal be happy with the EL? Would Chelsea? The answer's no.
lubus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
Preparing to be in the line of fire for mentioning us in the same breath as Manchester United/City and Arsenal, but our sights were set higher. We have played in the Champions League before and we wanted to do it again. We've been losing many of our best players (Campbell, Sheringham, set to lose Modric/Bale) to the Champions League regulars. The Europa League offers no route to the Champions League and as such is rightly viewed as detached and second-rate compared to the latter.

Would Arsenal be happy with the EL? Would Chelsea? The answer's no.
tbh, the europa league level of football is where spurs should be playing, i watch the games on thursday nights and after the group stages there are pretty good teams, + look at the final, bilbao vs athletico madrid, great teams.

whats the point of playing in cl when you have 0 chance of winning? cup is better than no cup. its unfortunate that everyone has this obsession with cl, and its hard to attract / retain the top players without it. but look at arsenal, been in the cl for 7 consecutive seasons(mbe longer), achieved nothing - if they had won the europa league once in that period, im sure their fans would have been happier
Darth Vader 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I hate that argument where people say that "There's no point being in the CL because you're not going to win it". So many underdogs have gone on to win Europe's prestigious competition. Chelsea just proved that yesterday. Stop with that bull****.
marcusmerehay
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The EL is Europe's `League Cup' to the CL as the FA Cup.

Widely seen as the inferior trophy which is why so many sub-par teams (in European terms) have made finals in recent years.

Middlesbrough were runners-up 6 years ago, and Rangers 4 years ago - that should tell you all you need to know.
BTNH
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As a Spurs fan, I hate to be pessimistic but this is it for us. Shame because we truly were stopped in our tracks of reaching some future success.

Bale has already hinted at leaving. In other words, he was being professional in saying "If we don't make CL, I'm out of here." Modric will go, maybe to Real Madrid or Chelsea. Although he will be greatly missed, I won't be too fussed after his issues last Summer and Chelsea. VDV will probably go to someone bigger, as with Adebayor. Ekotto will also want to leave. This unfortunately is the harsh reality of the situation. Its really sad because we truly deserved to be in the CL. Yeah we flopped, but we played the most exciting football of the season. I also think it is unjust considering Chelsea are such a scumbag team. Part of me has already re-adapted to mid table finishes months before the new season has started. At least the last 3 years were pretty fun.

I think we should just focus on building a new stadium to attract big buyers and players, and try to stay consistent in perhaps the top 10 of the table until we have ground again. This has held us back years I believe. I think it may take 10 years + to attempt to win anything/top 4. I do think there should be changes to the UEFA ruling though, this is completely unjust and unfair.
bkeevin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by marcusmerehay)
The EL is Europe's `League Cup' to the CL as the FA Cup.

Widely seen as the inferior trophy which is why so many sub-par teams (in European terms) have made finals in recent years.

Middlesbrough were runners-up 6 years ago, and Rangers 4 years ago - that should tell you all you need to know.
So that must also be true for the champions league as well since we have seen sub-par teams like Monaco, Levercusen, Valencia, Villareal etc in the finals or semis and Porto, Inter, Liverpool and Chelsea actually winning it when they were far from actually being the best teams when they won it.
Mister Dead
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by robocop1andahalf)

If you don't realise the implications then you are a complete and utter fool
marcusmerehay
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bkeevin)
So that must also be true for the champions league as well since we have seen sub-par teams like Monaco, Levercusen, Valencia, Villareal etc in the finals or semis and Porto, Inter, Liverpool and Chelsea actually winning it when they were far from actually being the best teams when they won it.
These are teams who are/were good enough (by rights) for the Champions League though.

Middlesbrough and Rangers were never good enough for the latter stages of the Europa League.

Of those you've listed Monaco are the only real anomaly as you've got Porto under Mourinho, Valencia under Benitez and a Leverkusen team that contained more than half the German national side (including Neuville, Kirsten and Ramelow).

Villareal had Riquelme and Forlan in their side, while Inter more than speak for themselves.

I've made no secret of how lucky Chelsea have been this season, but they still have players who are good enough.
Louis.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What's the contract situation of Modric/Bale/VDV? Really hope you can keep your team together, i've loved watching you this season.

It's quite hard to see you being in a stronger position by the end of the summer though. Even assuming you keep the 3 i've mentioned you've gotta spend money on a striker just to get around the same level you are now.
Mister Dead
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
of course they can't. this will set them back 5 years
jam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Darth Vader 7)
I hate that argument where people say that "There's no point being in the CL because you're not going to win it". So many underdogs have gone on to win Europe's prestigious competition. Chelsea just proved that yesterday. Stop with that bull****.
Tbh, we weren't really underdogs like people said we were. It's not a case of marseille or villareal getting to the final. Chelsea always had the team to win it.

I'm not even being biased, not saying we are the best team, but we had a team capable of winning it, hence why I wasn't happy with coming sixth in the league when we should have come 3rd at least this year in the prem. You don't go from 2nd to 6th in a year and then just become a poor side uncapable of winning the CL when you've strengthened your team like we have, I'm sure we were contenders last year when we got to the quarter final.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.29%
I'm not sure (59)
4.58%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (379)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.87%
I'm not a current university student (629)
48.84%

Watched Threads