The Student Room Group

Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Scroll to see replies

I don't think Levy would offer him more than the 70k per week that Spurs are reportedly paying him now.

That leaves a shortfall of 100k, and he's still got 2 years of his Man City contract still to run.

Plus there is the transfer fee that Man City will ask for.
Original post by Zerforax
I don't think Levy would offer him more than the 70k per week that Spurs are reportedly paying him now.

That leaves a shortfall of 100k, and he's still got 2 years of his Man City contract still to run.

Plus there is the transfer fee that Man City will ask for.

No, he earns £225k a week at Man City. That means he would be dropping £155k a week if he went to Spurs permanently.
Original post by Darth Vader 7
No, he earns £225k a week at Man City. That means he would be dropping £155k a week if he went to Spurs permanently.

I don't think we'll know exactly how much he earns.

In some places, Man City state that no player earns over 200k a week, other sources say no player earns over 250k a week.

Lot of reports say that Adebayor earns 170k a week, you're saying 225k a week. Might be a euro figure?

Either way, Adebayor would be losing a minimum of circa 5mil a year or 8mil a year (with your wage figure) and he's got 2 years left to run on his contract.

In some places, Man City state that no player earns over 200k a week, other sources say no player earns over 250k a week.

Lot of reports say that Adebayor earns 170k a week, you're saying 225k a week. Might be a euro figure?

Either way, Adebayor would be losing a minimum of circa 5mil a year or 8mil a year (with your wage figure) and he's got 2 years left to run on his contract.

I think Adebayor said he was on £225k himself. Sounds ridiculous but this is the club that pays Wayne Bridge £90k a week to play for sunderland. Who knows what he's on.

I remember reading up that the Tottenham players were having a joke with him saying he earns £200k and then Adebayor said something like "Don't insult me, I earn £225k" or something along those lines.

However, regardless of the two different figures, he would be taking a massive pay cut to come to Tottenham. Don't see why he would do that. I'd personally let him go back to City and then I'd go out and get Loic Remy which looked likely until last Saturday.
Original post by DaveSmith99
I think Adebayor said he was on £225k himself. Sounds ridiculous but this is the club that pays Wayne Bridge £90k a week to play for sunderland. Who knows what he's on.

Original post by Darth Vader 7
I remember reading up that the Tottenham players were having a joke with him saying he earns £200k and then Adebayor said something like "Don't insult me, I earn £225k" or something along those lines.

However, regardless of the two different figures, he would be taking a massive pay cut to come to Tottenham. Don't see why he would do that. I'd personally let him go back to City and then I'd go out and get Loic Remy which looked likely until last Saturday.

Fair point, Man City are ridiculous so I wouldn't be surprised.

If he really wants to play regular football, I'd imagnie that he'd accept say a wage of 70k from Spurs, but then ask for a lump sum to cover his losses (eg a sign on fee of a few million) and then ask for a payment from Man City to leave.

If you're Man City, would you rather pay 2-5mil in one payment or continue to pay his wages for another 2 years and then let him leave on a free anyway?
This is just bizarre.

We're discussing whether Adebayor would go back to City to sit and do nothing rather than take a pay cut (which would take him down to the kind of wages 99.9% of us don't even dream about). At the same time we're also worrying that maybe people like Modric will leave to go play for a better team.

Are footballers interested in playing top class football regularly or in their money?
Original post by UniOfLife
This is just bizarre.

We're discussing whether Adebayor would go back to City to sit and do nothing rather than take a pay cut (which would take him down to the kind of wages 99.9% of us don't even dream about). At the same time we're also worrying that maybe people like Modric will leave to go play for a better team.

Are footballers interested in playing top class football regularly or in their money?

Isn't the answer to your question becoming clearer and clearer as the seasons go by?
Oh jesus, we're going to sell Modric and replace him with Joe Cole aren't we?
Original post by Glennith
Oh jesus, we're going to sell Modric and replace him with Joe Cole aren't we?

Knowing Harry, wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. Shame about Ade if he does decide to go back and rot on the bench at Man City for £100k more but Wayne Bridge did just the same before he was offered a loan move. Such is football nowadays.
I think it's slightly different with Adebayor. He spends a lot of money helping good causes in Africa doesn't he?
I think it's slightly different with Adebayor. He spends a lot of money helping good causes in Africa doesn't he?

Didn't know that. Always amuses me when outsiders bemoan of how much professional footballers earn, whilst a lot of them, at least until recently, never questioned other professions, such as bankers whose financial conduct has greater consequences than well paid sportsmen kicking a ball. Some of it is just jealously because working class men can become affluent. It's all about what you do with your money rather than the figure of what you earn, as Socrates once said. :cool:

I know Drogba funds hospitals in Ivory Coast so that's probably why he's apparently off to China. Good wages and no chance of meeting his old club in the Champions League.

Unlucky Spurs fans for Chelsea winning on Saturday. I find it a bit odd that a team gets penalised in this situation when there is national protection in the last 16 for knockout stages. All five should go into Europe. I said that when Liverpool won it in 2005 and I'll remain true with Spurs.
Original post by jam277
Ronaldinho was not overrated. He destroyed england for fun, and tbh I'll be more scared facing ronaldinho than messi, ask any chelsea fan who's watched the past 6 or so barca matches. Brazil had a close game with england and kahn didn't turn up for the final but still it was a great performance from brazil.

Rivaldo is a cheat though.

Yes he is along with David Beckham the most overrated player of the last ten years or so. He may have had his days of brilliance but apart from 2 or 3 years at Barca never had a consistent string of great seasons and besides that World Crap coincided with that on-and-ff time at PSG. Destroyed England for fun when TBH those cowardly wimps just gave up even when they had a one man advantage for more than the last half hour and if they were motivated to do it against Argentina why not against those arrogant samba boys you always fawn and jizz over? Great performance stop kidding yourself - they were as the saying goes "best of a bad lot" or more accurately the only big name that turned up and got lucky in the ****tiest world crap ever. At least Italy and Spain won it the much harder and more credible way.
Original post by rockrunride
Knowing Harry, wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. Shame about Ade if he does decide to go back and rot on the bench at Man City for £100k more but Wayne Bridge did just the same before he was offered a loan move. Such is football nowadays.

This is what scares me. another one of redknapp's "old boys." be a bargain bin transfer aswell.

Not that Redknapp is a wheeler dealer, ofcourse. :gah:
(edited 11 years ago)
I was under the impression that Ade was still in discussions, but wants to stay. has something changed?
Reply 1835
Original post by robocop1andahalf
Yes he is along with David Beckham the most overrated player of the last ten years or so. He may have had his days of brilliance but apart from 2 or 3 years at Barca never had a consistent string of great seasons and besides that World Crap coincided with that on-and-ff time at PSG. Destroyed England for fun when TBH those cowardly wimps just gave up even when they had a one man advantage for more than the last half hour and if they were motivated to do it against Argentina why not against those arrogant samba boys you always fawn and jizz over? Great performance stop kidding yourself - they were as the saying goes "best of a bad lot" or more accurately the only big name that turned up and got lucky in the ****tiest world crap ever. At least Italy and Spain won it the much harder and more credible way.

Ronaldinho was by far the best player on the planet for 2/3 seasons. He was never mentally designed to churn out seasons but he was in no way overrated as nobody rated him on that level again once he lost it.
I really don't see what you are basing your assumption on :dontknow: You just seem extraordinarily angry about quite a well known fact being something you don't agree with.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Didn't know that. Always amuses me when outsiders bemoan of how much professional footballers earn, whilst a lot of them, at least until recently, never questioned other professions, such as bankers whose financial conduct has greater consequences than well paid sportsmen kicking a ball. Some of it is just jealously because working class men can become affluent. It's all about what you do with your money rather than the figure of what you earn, as Socrates once said. :cool:

I know Drogba funds hospitals in Ivory Coast so that's probably why he's apparently off to China. Good wages and no chance of meeting his old club in the Champions League.

Unlucky Spurs fans for Chelsea winning on Saturday. I find it a bit odd that a team gets penalised in this situation when there is national protection in the last 16 for knockout stages. All five should go into Europe. I said that when Liverpool won it in 2005 and I'll remain true with Spurs.

I don't know the details but - http://www.emmanueladebayor.com/charity-work
Tbh, the African players are usually those more likely to try and help good causes, especially where they grew up or what they consider their roots.

I guess the problem is that they work out mathmatically who should get how many spots so that it is an even number at all of the stages - where do you introduce the winner who wouldn't qualify otherwise? At who's expense or who is made to play an extra game?

Imo a better solution to replacing the 4th place spot, would be to play a one-off game or a two-legged game between 4th and the winner for the final spot. Would be so much hype around that game :biggrin:
I guess the problem is that they work out mathmatically who should get how many spots so that it is an even number at all of the stages - where do you introduce the winner who wouldn't qualify otherwise? At who's expense or who is made to play an extra game?

Imo a better solution to replacing the 4th place spot, would be to play a one-off game or a two-legged game between 4th and the winner for the final spot. Would be so much hype around that game :biggrin:

It's difficult but perhaps the weakest representative should be sacrificed so that the same number of teams make it for the CL, third round qualifying and group stages. It would have to be done very carefully but the way the coefficients work appears to be complex enough, in terms of how it's structured from the foundations from a mathematic point of view. So if they can invent this scheme I'm sure they can find a fairer solution.
Original post by Mess.
Ronaldinho was by far the best player on the planet for 2/3 seasons. He was never mentally designed to churn out seasons but he was in no way overrated as nobody rated him on that level again once he lost it.
I really don't see what you are basing your assumption on :dontknow: You just seem extraordinarily angry about quite a well known fact being something you don't agree with.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Everyone overrated him during those 2 seasons or so when he was in the form of his life as if to call him the best ever and think he would dominate well past 2010. Sorry nobody believe me when I said back then the emperor's new clothes would soon come off.

I don't think that's particularly fair to the winners who definitely should qualify automatically.

Besides, last time Spurs had a crunch game with Chelsea it didn't turn out so well for us...

The fairer thing would be to work everything out leaving an empty slot for the winners. Then the League containing the winners would get an extra CL spot if the winning team was inside the top four. That way, the league containing the winning team gets a bonus not a penalty (well kinda penalty).

Quick Reply