This discussion is closed.
Fahad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I'm writing a detailed report on how people are motivated. I need your views.. What makes you want to complete a task? What demotivates you and make you don't want to work or concentrate? Tell me as much, and as soon as possible about yourself.

Are you the sort of person who is motivated by money? Or does the community in which you work in help make you more motivated? Consider answering these questions in as detailed as possible.

Fahad.
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I AM motivated by 2 things! My desire to help people and My desire to make this sorry country better in whatever way I can.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fahad)
I'm writing a detailed report on how people are motivated. I need your views.. What makes you want to complete a task? What demotivates you and make you don't want to work or concentrate? Tell me as much, and as soon as possible about yourself.

Are you the sort of person who is motivated by money? Or does the community in which you work in help make you more motivated? Consider answering these questions in as detailed as possible.

Fahad.
Money and the never ending pursuit of "more" of the stuff.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
nice relaxed evironment, incentives, whether its an extra 10 mins break everynow and then or buying everyone at work cakes on a special occasion. Good holiday, supportive management, encouragement for your ambitions whether it be work paying for a course for me or promise of promotion. Being rewarded for extra performance, or at least it being recognised.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
I AM motivated by 2 things! My desire to help people and My desire to make this sorry country better in whatever way I can.
And the desire to practice medicine because it is one of the best paying occupations to follow. God, Daveo, I can't believe your selfishness at times!
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Necessity is the mother of invention...
When Cortez (sp) reached the new world, he burnt his ships. As a result, his men were well motivated.

Do those sound familiar? Motivation for me comes from necessity. If I don't really need to get something done, there is a good chance that it can wait until tomorrow. *shrugs* that is just me though, but you did ask.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
And the desire to practice medicine because it is one of the best paying occupations to follow. God, Daveo, I can't believe your selfishness at times!
Shellfishness? Nope i'm in this for the satisfaction of saving people's lives and making ppl have a better life! the money is a bonus.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fahad)

Fahad.
Academically, I'm probably driven by self-motivation mostly - I'm a bit of a perfectionist (which isn't a good thing a lot of the time). I like to push myself to be the best of my ability and prefer to compete with myself rather than other people (as there are pretty much always going to be people better than you at something).

Possible demotivations are when people put you down, but you can then use that as ammunition for self-motivation and use it in a positive way in a kind of "I'll show them" mentality.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fahad)

Fahad.
I haven't got time to answer this in detail but funnily enough a major part of my exam next week is on motivation.

The most famous theory is Maslow's hiarachy of needs. He states that humans are motivated for their most basics needs (i.e food, water). Once they have these needs they will only be motivated by self esteem job status, social needs etc.

What makes me complete is the knowledge that I will get self satifaction once its completed. Also if it helps me to pass my course. This is all higher level needs which is why most people in the western world work. Not many people in the UK have to work purely for water and food as money is provided on the state for the poorest of people.

At the moment though I am quite unmotivated in my life.
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know when I am not motivated to do something. We have these awful chem calculations, andI just can't get myself motivated to revise long for that. Will have to soon I guess.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Motivation as in business? Perhaps you would benefit reading about some of the key motivation theorists:

1)F.W.Taylor - Introduced piece rate system, and conducted work study.
2)E.Mayo - 'hawthorne Studies' - Concluded that people are more, than just motivated by money.
3)A.Maslow - Hieracrchy of needs.
4)Professor Herzberg - Hygiene and motivation factors.

Though most of the content is business orientated, the study of human nature is still apllicable.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Motivation as in business? Perhaps you would benefit reading about some of the key motivation theorists:

2)E.Mayo - 'hawthorne Studies' - Concluded that people are more, than just motivated by money.

Though most of the content is business orientated, the study of human nature is still apllicable.
LOL!!!

we had some welsh twat who taught us about maslow and herzberg in years 10 and 11!!!

"self actualization is a need quite high up in the hierachial pyramid, although you need base needs such as wage and job security to reach the level where self-actualisation motivates workers."

"hygeine factors are factors that cannot motivate workers, but when not in place then they can definitely demotivate workers."

ahhhh, the days of doss subject bussiness studies.....
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Motivation:
If you enjoy what you are doing, or what you are studying. For revising, if you have a good professor. If you have set yourself a goal to achieve. If there's a prize or reward at the end of it. If you are threatened with missing out on something or something like that if you don't revise.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

You missed of McGregor and Vroom. And of course Vince Miller the most important motivationist since Maslow.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
You missed of McGregor and Vroom. And of course Vince Miller the most important motivationist since Maslow.
Douglas McGregor never came up with any motivation theory. He created the theory of management views, the Theory X and Theory Y type of management, and their views of employees.

As for Vroom, the only Vroom I know is the sound of an engine. (I haven't studied Vroom, so dony know anything about him/her.)
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Douglas McGregor never came up with any motivation theory. He created the theory of management views, the Theory X and Theory Y type of management, and their views of employees.

As for Vroom, the only Vroom I know is the sound of an engine. (I haven't studied Vroom, so dony know anything about him/her.)
So neh-neh-neh.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I often think I have no motivation. I tend to do as little work as possible.
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
I often think I have no motivation. I tend to do as little work as possible.
same.....my parents try to motivate me with school work by giving me money for As in tests and stuff.....lol....didnt work for long coz they decided that they were giving too much money and wanted me to pay the same ammount for any Cs i got...
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by matouwah)
same.....my parents try to motivate me with school work by giving me money for As in tests and stuff.....lol....didnt work for long coz they decided that they were giving too much money and wanted me to pay the same ammount for any Cs i got...
LOL I don't get any money motivation. My parents say, as longs as I'm happy, they are happy. Which is a shame because money may work for me.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I've seen the Maslow and Herzberg theory as well. Also the Mcgreggor theory about theory X and theory Y.
I like Herzberg's, it's true. If you work in a good environment and have good pay you don't notice it. You don't get motivated because you take it for granted, but you don't get demotivated either.
If the pay is bad and the workplace is dirty, you'll notice it and you will get demotivated.

I like Maslow's hierachy. I'll type it up just in case you don't know lol.
---------------
/ Self Actualization \
--------------------
/ Status\
-----------------------
/Social\
--------------------------
/Safety\
-----------------------------
/Survival\
---------------------------------

Ok, that picture is really bad! I've just spent ages trying to make it into a proper hierachy table but it didn't turn out right on preview. Never mind!

I hope you appreciate this.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (240)
61.7%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.63%
No- I want it (105)
26.99%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.68%

Watched Threads