Turn on thread page Beta

Hitler's Rise to Power... Did Hindenburg use article 48? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have checked 3 different books and searched around online but I can't really find the answer i'm looking for...

Did Hindenburg use Article 48 to get Hitler into power? I understand that Von Papen and Hindenburg believed they could control him, once he was given chancellorship, but how did he get there!?

Side question:

What factors would say helped Hitler gain power? i.e His propaganda skills, economic crisis, transition from aggression to politics etc. etc.

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaskade)
    I have checked 3 different books and searched around online but I can't really find the answer i'm looking for...

Did Hindenburg use Article 48 to get Hitler into power? I understand that Von Papen and Hindenburg believed they could control him, once he was given chancellorship, but how did he get there!?

Side question:

What factors would say helped Hitler gain power? i.e His propaganda skills, economic crisis, transition from aggression to politics etc. etc.

Thanks a lot!
    I'd say Hitler himself knew article 48 could be used to his advantage rather than Hindenburg, ie with all the defence of the nation from the Russians etc.

Also all of those factors helped Hitler gain power, were you looking for more or which one was most significant? I'd add regular German people to that list aswel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonathanHanratty)
    I'd say Hitler himself knew article 48 could be used to his advantage rather than Hindenburg, ie with all the defence of the nation from the Russians etc.

Also all of those factors helped Hitler gain power, were you looking for more or which one was most significant? I'd add regular German people to that list aswel.
    Thanks, yeah I think you're right, Hitler did. However i'm trying to develop weaknesses of the Weimar Republic... so I'm going to include Article 48. Obviously article 48 was over used and misused but I want to link it directly to Hitler, so if he was put into power via article 48 it would help my case! haha. Do you know if it was?

Yes, i've included "people of Germany" who were lured into Hitler's grasp through Propaganda and fear tactics.

I was looking for any more points which helped Hitler get into power if you knew any?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I had a similar question for my coursework (doing access) asking if the Weimar Republic had any chance of survival and here is a snippet from my essay where I have said exactly what you are asking, I got it from my class notes so dont have anything to provide as a reference:

... one notable component of this democratic structure, which would assist in the later downfall of democracy, was Article 48. This article was supposed to safeguard democracy by use of emergency presidential powers for the President to rule by decree should it be required. This would be an unforeseen problem and Hindenburg would later use this article to appoint Hitler Chancellor and subsequently partake in the destruction of democracy.

regards your question on Hitler coming into power, there is no doubt the wall street crash as the starting point which caused chaos in german as the US banks/private investors called in the short term lones leading to a financial crisis in Germany. With economic instability comes political instability and you see the NSDAP going from having 12 seats in the reichstag before the crash to 107 in sept 1930. So there was a shift in support from the middle to the right and the NSDAP became the second biggest party. Hitler then played the game insisting he would not go into an electoral alliance with van papen unless he was made chancellor, and eventually Hindenburg seen no other alternative but to use article 48 to appoint Hitler as chancellor.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Hitler became chancellor in 1933 due to:
    His leadership skills (speeches, reorganisation of the party,etc)
    Nazi Tactics (SA, propaganda)
    The Great Depression (lack of order, more support for extremists)
    Weaknesses of Weimar (proportional representation, Hindenburg's reliance upon article 48)
    The political manoeuvring of Von Papen and Von Schleicher (they planned for Hitler to be 'chancellor in chains')

Hindenburg appointed Hitler as chancellor because he had no other choice, Von Papen and Von Schleicher both having failed to gather a workable majority. The Nazis controlled 33.1% of the vote in November 1932 and were the largest party (although their share of the votes had fallen from a figure of 37.3% gainned in the July election) and as the largest party they were Hindenburg's only real hope of gaining any kind of order. At the time he was relying upon Article 48 to get anything done at all.

Hope this helps! (or at least makes sense- it's been a year since I did this)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spottyslope)
    Weaknesses of Weimar (proportional representation
    I think thats a major point, proportional representation led to a series of weak coalition governments

ReputationRep:
    Hitler couldnt use Article 48 only the President could (IIRC).

However, got the enabling act passed by forcing politicians into submission- basically if you didnt vote yes for the enabling act you'd get a beating by the SA.

PR allowed Hitler to get into the reichstag.
    However, I think the 2 main causes for hitlers rise to power was the great depression (the lead up to it aswell) and the fact that Hiddenburg and Von Schliecher thought they could manipulate Hitler and control the Reichstag.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the economic crises caused political instability which in turn supported the polarised, extremist parties. The Nazis were also very well funded from businesses and individuals who were scared of a communist revolution.

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing Edexcel A-level history? Did that last year haha

ReputationRep:
    problems facing Wiemar germanycommunists.right wingNovember criminalshyper inflationtreaty of Versailles

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 7, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.