The Student Room Group

Going to a university open day on your own: sad?

I'm going to a university open day on my own: is it going to look sad being there on my own?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If it's Edinburgh Maths then you can accompany me :p:
Reply 2
Nope, not at all. I went to 5 out of my 6 open days by myself.
Reply 3
Well, when I went to the Uni open day I took my Mum, apart from Manchester (it's local). But when I went to the UCAS applicant days at certain Unis I went alone. So I don't see why you need a parent, as long as you're happy not to have one with you. I just took my Mum to get her opinion.
Reply 4
ive been to all my visits but 1 on my own :frown: , thankfully my mum is now coming to my interviews ( "only the close ones" )
No, you'll look rock 'ard.
Reply 6
No its not sad, I'm sure you can get to know people when you get there.Also I'm sure your not going to be the only person on there own.
Reply 7
Of course not xD I took my Granny along to mine because she loves that sort of thing, but if she hadn't been around I would have gone on my own.
Reply 8
Nah, I went to all mine on my own -near and far! I felt more comfortable to be honest
Reply 9
Had I been able to get to the universities I visited on my own, I would have. But I was skint at the time, so my lovely Mother drove all over the country :biggrin: I'm glad she came with me, though. I think I would have made the wrong choice if it weren't for her.
Reply 10
Not in the slightest. I actually thought it was quite sad when people brought their parents - I mean, really, uni is about leaving home and becoming independent, not about getting your parents to take time off work to help you catch a train. Obviously this doesn't apply to people who need help with mobility or whatever, but generally, I felt that you got far more of a feel for what somewhere would be like if you didn't have a parent trailing you around.
Reply 11
Original post by A_James
I'm going to a university visit day on my own: is it going to look sad being there on my own?

I liked having my Dad there with me for the banter lol :biggrin:. Plus it can be quite useful to discuss different aspects of the open day/the overall impression with someone else.
I don't think it's sad at all. When I was at an open day before, there was a girl behind me by herself and she just used it as an excuse to chat up the boy sitting next to her.

My mum's been to all the ones I've been to so far but that's because I need her opinions for these things! And it also means free transport because I don't need to pay her for the car.
Reply 13
I go by myself :biggrin:
Reply 14
It's sad how many people on here are incapable of doing anything on their own.
Going with friends is much more fun. :smile:
Reply 16
Why on earth would that be sad...What is sad is groups of girls going to open days together because they are only checking out unis that their friends are also considering. Uni should be an opportunity to meet completely new people, and old friendships can often stop you at that.
Reply 17
Of course not; it's worse to be there with your parents. I went to all of mine on my own. Met bare people, actually, it was all rather exciting with the new environment and all the energy from their aspirations (soon to be crushed).
I went to all of my open days with my mum. Neither of us knew anything about university so it was a nice learning experience to share. I found it nice to have her opinion and she proved helpful in asking about things that I'd forgotten about!

Both my parents and younger brother are coming to Manchester's applicant day with me (although not the talks) so that we can all have a look around the city the day before. Manchester's going to be pretty definite for me and as it's quite from my home, there aren't going to be many chances for them to find out what Manchester's all about. I think my mum may be coming along to the Leicester applicant day (my insurance) and I'll be going alone to Lincoln. I'd rather mum not waste her time coming to Lincoln as it's not going to be a choice of mine, so it'd be a waste of her annual leave and train fare.

None of my family have gone to university so they're all just as interested as I am! I like having them about :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by *Lollo*
Why on earth would that be sad...What is sad is groups of girls going to open days together because they are only checking out unis that their friends are also considering. Uni should be an opportunity to meet completely new people, and old friendships can often stop you at that.

Girls do that? And they wonder why they don't end up in as good jobs as men, etc etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending