The Student Room Group

Only 7 GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
umm what you doing is fine, you have really good grades in the subjects your doing.:smile:
i'm doing
eng language
eng literature
maths
statistics
biology
chemistry
physics
french
and ict merit

you may think your doing less but there are so many people doing less than you:biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by ktlaurenroe
No, I think it's just one GCSE. To get 3 separate ones, you need to do triple science.

If you do additional science you get 2 gcses, one called science which most people do in year 10, then additional science which you do in year eleven (can be different grades), if you do triple science you get one gcse in each of the three science, the work for science and additional science goes towards most of this but when i did it I had 5 extra hours of science a fortnight for the two years.
7's around the average I believe? I do know quite a few of my friends went for more, I mean I actually went for 10 GCSE's, but I got a D in French and Spanish (Terrible at languages... but went to a Language College status secondary school :frown: ), so I say I only have 8.
i am doing/did

english lang
english lit
re
it
maths
statistics
triple science: biology
chemistry
physics
french
history
geography
dt

thats 13 and i nearly did art on the side, now i know how rediculous that would have been
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by kaliedoscope-eyes
I'm in year 11 and I just thought I'd see what it would look like if I got all my predicted grades and I realised - I;m only doing 7...

It's not many - how come people have like 9, 10 or even 11?? What extra ones do they take?

I did 12, at a normal comprehensive, they just like us to do a lot siiigh so that was:
English Language, English Literature, Maths, Core Science, Additional Science, History, Welsh, Religious Studies, Food Technology, German, Drama and P.E (I chose the last three and history over geography for a humanities option)
I had to do a module of AS Maths and a Entry Level Health and Safety in the Work place qualification, very patronising stuff -_- and a bloomin lot of work! eurgh.

I wouldn't complain about only doing 7, not that many universities care about your GCSE's anyway, as long as they're A-C no matter how many of them there are :smile: I have a friend at from a Private school who only did 7 and he's at Oxford so I wouldn't be bothered about it :smile:
Hope this helps!
I only have 9 because I was ill in year 11 but most people at my school got 11 - once you get Alevels it doesn't seem to matter that much anyway as long as you have good grades.
Original post by Nix-j-c
If you do additional science you get 2 gcses, one called science which most people do in year 10, then additional science which you do in year eleven (can be different grades), if you do triple science you get one gcse in each of the three science, the work for science and additional science goes towards most of this but when i did it I had 5 extra hours of science a fortnight for the two years.

Ah right :smile:
also OP, just found out today my school runs an intervention scheme for anyone with less than 8 GCSE's, perhaps you should ask a teacher about this.
Reply 27
Eng lit
Eng lang
Maths
Bio
Chem
Physics
Geog
French
RE
Citizenship (1/2)
= 9.5

plus BTEC First Business :rolleyes:
Reply 28
Original post by kaliedoscope-eyes
I'm in year 11 and I just thought I'd see what it would look like if I got all my predicted grades and I realised - I;m only doing 7...
English Language - A (already gotten it)
English Literature - A (predicted grade)
History - A* (predicted)
R.E (short course) - A (predicted)
German - A (predicted)
Mathmatics - B (predicted)
Art - A* (predicted)
Core Science - B (predicted)
Life/Work Skills - P
Now thats only 7 GCSEs, 1 1/2 a GCSE.
It's not many - how come people have like 9, 10 or even 11?? What extra ones do they take?

If you want me to be honest, there is absolutely no point in doing thousands of GCSES as the requirement for colleges only ask for 5 A*-C grades. The more As and A*s you get the higher you are averaged (the average out your GCSE Grades, A*=8, A=7, B=6 etc). Doing more GCSEs especially in Year 11 causes more stress which therefore leads to you grades being lower than expected. Don't bother, I mean your predicted grades seems excellent and your more likely to to get all A*s/As than a person who is doing 13 GCSEs (like myself and I ultimately regret - too much high expectations). For now, don't worry about the amount of GCSEs you have but the quality of Grades you have and you will be fine :wink:
hi, some schools just offer some more, or sometimes as an extra for instance i do:
english language
english literature
maths
chemistry
biology
physics
french
spanish
food
RE
ICT
ICT (its worth 2)
Pe
Music (an extra)
Statistics (an extra)

But the grades you get matter more as its better to have less really good GCSEs than more Average ones :smile:
I believe I have 13, but I did 2 Englsih GCSE's, 3 Sciences (=S, though I remember another that was on my sheets) and 2 Math amongst others.

Quick Reply