The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Univeristy preference to private school students!!

Univeristy preference to private school students...well i know a lot of TSR users come from independent schools, but i really want to know why state school students are looked down at by top universities despite some achieving the same or even better grades??

I know a friend of mine who applied to imperial, kings, st georges and queen marys for medicine and she was only invited for an interview at st goerges and queen marys. she didnt get offered a place at queen marys, but luckily she did at st georges!!
i really dont think it was fair that she didnt even get invited for an interview at imperial or kings considering she was a straight A's student. she got 1A* 8A's and 1B for her GCSE's and AAAA for AS and AAA in bio chem and maths for Alevel. what other reason could there be that imperial and kings did not even consider her for interview??

I would like to study computing/computer science at uni (2007) and my choices in order of preference so far are imperial, ucl, kings, queen mary, brunel and city. My GCSE grades are 6A*'s, 4A's and 2B's. i am currently studying AS maths chemistry, ICT and french. and im thinking of doing AS physics next year!!

Id like to know what my chances of getting into imperial,ucl,kings are with those grades and considering i am a 'state school' student??

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
aquarian_7861
Univeristy preference to private school students...well i know a lot of TSR users come from independent schools, but i really want to know why state school students are looked down at by top universities despite some achieving the same or even better grades??

I know a friend of mine who applied to imperial, kings, st georges and queen marys for medicine and she was only invited for an interview at st goerges and queen marys. she didnt get offered a place at queen marys, but luckily she did at st georges!!
i really dont think it was fair that she didnt even get invited for an interview at imperial or kings considering she was a straight A's student. she got 1A* 8A's and 1B for her GCSE's and AAAA for AS and AAA in bio chem and maths for Alevel. what other reason could there be that imperial and kings did not even consider her for interview??

I would like to study computing/computer science at uni (2007) and my choices in order of preference so far are imperial, ucl, kings, queen mary, brunel and city. My GCSE grades are 6A*'s, 4A's and 2B's. i am currently studying AS maths chemistry, ICT and french. and im thinking of doing AS physics next year!!

Id like to know what my chances of getting into imperial,ucl,kings are with those grades and considering i am a 'state school' student??

Thanks

if anything, state pupils are getting preference to independent pupils. your friend may have messed up the ps, had not as good references or perhaps was just not as good as other applicants.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Considering you seem to have a distinct difficulty with essential SPG, such as "University" - notice the spelling, I don't think you should be worrying about university just yet.
Reply 3
your GCSE's are fine and nothing to worry about, but ICT is one of those 'non preferred' subjects (i hate to say it and be blunt, but i think that's kind of justified too). imperial, ucl, and king's are in different leagues to QMUL, brunel and city, i don't see you having a problem at all with those three. as imperial is probally the higher ranked out of itself, UCL, and KCL, and probally the better for CompSci (bear in mind i dont really know anything about compsci, i'm not applying for it.), i can give you a headsup on the admissions scenario there:

imperial's department of computing, AAB (one of those A's in maths). 726 applications recieved for 04/05, 117 admitted (6.2:1), average tarrif score of 352. imperial is ranked 3rd/4th? in the UK consistently.
i actually thought before checking the avg. points would be higher than that, but that's just under 3 A's (360),so maybe some are offering AAB + a good A/S. either way, if you think you can match that, get good references and personal statement, i don't see why not. i suppose it comes down to what you're predicted. never aim low though, someone thinking of imperial shouldn't even let city university enter their mind, i'd rethink those ones.
Reply 4
bikerx23
Considering you seem to have a distinct difficulty with essential SPG, such as "University" - notice the spelling, I don't think you should be worrying about university just yet.

typical pedantic oxford reply: trying to look all clever when anybody with REAL intelligence can see its simply a typing error!
--------------
vp``
your GCSE's are fine and nothing to worry about, but ICT is one of those 'non preferred' subjects (i hate to say it and be blunt, but i think that's kind of justified too). imperial, ucl, and king's are in different leagues to QMUL, brunel and city, i don't see you having a problem at all with those three. as imperial is probally the higher ranked out of itself, UCL, and KCL, and probally the better for CompSci (bear in mind i dont really know anything about compsci, i'm not applying for it.), i can give you a headsup on the admissions scenario there:

imperial's department of computing, AAB (one of those A's in maths). 726 applications recieved for 04/05, 117 admitted (6.2:1), average tarrif score of 352. imperial is ranked 3rd/4th? in the UK consistently.
i actually thought before checking the avg. points would be higher than that, but that's just under 3 A's (360),so maybe some are offering AAB + a good A/S. either way, if you think you can match that, get good references and personal statement, i don't see why not. i suppose it comes down to what you're predicted. never aim low though, someone thinking of imperial shouldn't even let city university enter their mind, i'd rethink those ones.

the average points for imperial's computing department is 483 (4 A's inc maths)- go to the times online subject table :wink:
Reply 5
I would agree with your point about it being a typing error, except for the fact that it occurs in both the title and the first line of the post. Which, also means she makes the mistake every time she has written university so far.
What are you on about typical Oxford reply anyway? you dont even know me - I would recommend you didn't immedeately stereotype people you know nothing about.
Reply 6
bikerx23
I would agree with your point about it being a typing error, except for the fact that it occurs in both the title and the first line of the post. Which, also means she makes the mistake every time she has written university so far.
What are you on about typical Oxford reply anyway? you dont even know me - I would recommend you didn't immedeately stereotype people you know nothing about.

no but i was relating it to my experience of visiting exeter college- one of your admissions secretaries is extremely stuck-up! you just happened to be the poor sod i took it out on! lol
Reply 7
Oh really? well - i must say that most people here are too drunk to give a toss...who was the person who was so stuck up? i hope it didn't/wont put you off applying :wink:
Reply 8
spy007
the average points for imperial's computing department is 483 (4 A's inc maths)- go to the times online subject table :wink:

yeah, that does seem more like what i'd expect from imperial compsci! but! i got my figures from http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pls/portallive/docs/1/62215.PDF page 8 (4 of 6), but i'm willing to go with your figures ;P

ah, i just read that page more in depth, "A level and tariff scores are based on the best three grades.". i can't see how on earth that helps anyone, but w/e.
Reply 9
bikerx23

hmm....yeh it was a typing error!!and i just coppied and pasted the title into the actual text so the spg mistake was there aswell!!!
--------------
vp``

thanks for all the info.
As for A-level ICT...i didnt have any other choice. my school doesnt offer comuputing, otherwise i would have definately chosen that instead. what are the ideal subjects for computing/computer science?? I have to apply to city incase i dont get into all of the other top universities because i know this girl from my school who got AAA and excellent GCSE results, and she thought she would definately get into a top university, but in the end she didnt and now she is having to take a gap year. :confused:
Reply 10
vp``
yeah, that does seem more like what i'd expect from imperial compsci! but! i got my figures from http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pls/portallive/docs/1/62215.PDF page 8 (4 of 6), but i'm willing to go with your figures ;P

ah, i just read that page more in depth, "A level and tariff scores are based on the best three grades.". i can't see how on earth that helps anyone, but w/e.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gooduniversityguide2005/20computing.pdf

sorry its 487 lol
Reply 11
bikerx23

hmmm....yeh it was a typing error!!and i just copied and pasted the title into the actual text so the spg mistake was there aswell!
Reply 12
bikerx23
Oh really? well - i must say that most people here are too drunk to give a toss...who was the person who was so stuck up? i hope it didn't/wont put you off applying :wink:

no this was last year, i didnt apply to oxbridge last year in the end. Ive applied to cambridge this year. She was quite old- grey hair, quite tubby, VERY vocal and i think she was the general admissions officer- not tutor.

I must admit, exeter was soooooooooo lovely!! It was what you expected when you hear "Oxford" :biggrin:
Reply 13
vp``

thanks for all the info.
As for A-level ICT...i didnt have any other choice. my school doesnt offer computing, otherwise i would have definately chosen that instead. what are the ideal subjects for computing/computer science?? I have to apply to city incase i dont get into all of the other top universities because i know this girl from my school who got AAA and excellent GCSE results, and she thought she would definately get into a top university, but in the end she didnt and now she is having to take a gap year. :confused:
Reply 14
aquarian_7861

very bad example.
medicine isn't about being a 'straight A student' & the schools where it might have been the most relevant - she didn't apply to!

reasons they might not have invited her: lack of medical work experience, lack of voluntary work, lack of breadth & depth of relevant extra curriculars, unrealistic/poor motivation for medicine, poor reference, plenty of other 'better' candidates..

she was lucky to get a medical place at all, plenty don't.

& if you want an anecdote - ICL called me to their second day of interviewing for medicine & gave me an offer - i was from a state 6th form = conclusive proof there's no discrimination.. :p: :wink:
Reply 15
Elles
very bad example.
medicine isn't about being a 'straight A student' & the schools where it might have been the most relevant - she didn't apply to!

reasons they might not have invited her: lack of medical work experience, lack of voluntary work, lack of breadth & depth of relevant extra curriculars, unrealistic/poor motivation for medicine, poor reference, plenty of other 'better' candidates..

she was lucky to get a medical place at all, plenty don't.

& if you want an anecdote - ICL called me to their second day of interviewing for medicine & gave me an offer - i was from a state 6th form = conclusive proof there's no discrimination.. :p: :wink:

well done for getting into imperial!! my friend also did a lot of work experience in hospitals in england and while she was abroad, worked with old people, did charity work and she was 100% dedicated to do the course. But yeh i agree that she may not have got the place because she lacked extra curricular activities. But..how can a university judge someones motivation prior to the interview despite having a good ucas statement??
Reply 16
aquarian_7861
thanks for all the info.
As for A-level ICT...i didnt have any other choice. my school doesnt offer computing, otherwise i would have definately chosen that instead. what are the ideal subjects for computing/computer science?? I have to apply to city incase i dont get into all of the other top universities because i know this girl from my school who got AAA and excellent GCSE results, and she thought she would definately get into a top university, but in the end she didnt and now she is having to take a gap year. :confused:

np, i can't really advise on compsci subjects, it's not my path, i'm going for european studies personally. the problem i faced when i chose my alevels was that i didn't know what i wanted to do at uni, so i just tried to be as broad as possible, rather than some peeps i know who do 3 sciences and maths and don't know what they want to do afterwards. bar the ICT issue, all your subjects are strong, academic subjects imo, and i recon having a language in there helps you even if not applying for language courses.
on the subject of city, if you didn't get into those 'top' uni's, i'd do what your friend did. without trying to create an air of arrogance, why on earth would a realistic imperial candidate want to spend 3 years (of time, and tuition fees at 3k/an + living) at city? i'm applying at the moment, but if i don't get my top two (UCL and KCL, who want AAA and ABB respectively), chances are i'm taking a gap year. yeah, i /could/ go to cardiff, manchester, or bath (all respected unis imo), but i've spent 12 years in compulsory education, 2 years in sixth form, i'm predicted AAAA and i fooking work hard. i'm not letting that go to waste on some uni who just wants BBB. the point is, aim high.
Reply 17
I've hedged my bets. I have a state and private secondary school on my application. :biggrin:
Reply 18
vp``
np, i can't really advise on compsci subjects, it's not my path, i'm going for european studies personally. the problem i faced when i chose my alevels was that i didn't know what i wanted to do at uni, so i just tried to be as broad as possible, rather than some peeps i know who do 3 sciences and maths and don't know what they want to do afterwards. bar the ICT issue, all your subjects are strong, academic subjects imo, and i recon having a language in there helps you even if not applying for language courses.
on the subject of city, if you didn't get into those 'top' uni's, i'd do what your friend did. without trying to create an air of arrogance, why on earth would a realistic imperial candidate want to spend 3 years (of time, and tuition fees at 3k/an + living) at city? i'm applying at the moment, but if i don't get my top two (UCL and KCL, who want AAA and ABB respectively), chances are i'm taking a gap year. yeah, i /could/ go to cardiff, manchester, or bath (all respected unis imo), but i've spent 12 years in compulsory education, 2 years in sixth form, i'm predicted AAAA and i fooking work hard. i'm not letting that go to waste on some uni who just wants BBB. the point is, aim high.

hmmm...yeh uve got a point there!!ill have to rethink my options then!!nevertheless i still have a year to decide...so i wont worry too much now about my uni choices. i also didnt know what i wanted to do uni..i had such a broad choice...it was out of architecture, medicine or something IT related...
so i chose subjects that fitted with all of three. (I also took biolgy AS...but gave up on it)
Reply 19
lol the computing department has mostly 4A students???
no wonder I feel out of place! AABC lol

i think Imperial is very fair about their admissions compared to some places, their interviews are not like SS interogations (early morning spelling blah)

and to be honest u have no need for an ICT/computing a level to do computing, youre WAY better off doing AS or A level further maths, thats handyy

Latest

Trending

Trending