The Student Room Group

STEP at lower sixth form: recommended?

I am unsure whether to take STEP1 this year. The main worry I have is that getting a low grade will hinder my applications next year, and it may (hopefully not) affect my AS results. My current AS subjects are : F Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Econ.
Also, unlike some of the other early-takers of STEP 1, I do not do A-level maths this year. So this means I will have to self-teach all the A2 core and mechanics modules, which will further add to the workload .
However, looking at some of the past paper questions, some of the STEP 1 Qs (those required no A2 knowledge) seem easily doable. This is mainly because of my experience with BMO1(and the odd BMO2 Qs) in the past.

Is it essential to declare your STEP result in the UCAS form, and can unis easily find out our scores if we have sat the exams? I understand that a grade 1 or above would certainly be positive at all unis. However, in the case of getting a 2 or lower, would I be disadvantaged when applying to unis such as Oxford (assuming there’s less emphasis there for STEP performance), LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by twig
I am unsure whether to take STEP1 this year. The main worry I have is that getting a low grade will hinder my applications next year, and it may (hopefully not) affect my AS results. My current AS subjects are : F Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Econ.
Also, unlike some of the other early-takers of STEP 1, I do not do A-level maths this year. So this means I will have to self-teach all the A2 core and mechanics modules, which will further add to the workload .
However, looking at some of the past paper questions, some of the STEP 1 Qs (those required no A2 knowledge) seem easily doable. This is mainly because of my experience with BMO1(and the odd BMO2 Qs) in the past.

Is it essential to declare your STEP result in the UCAS form, and can unis easily find out our scores if we have sat the exams? I understand that a grade 1 or above would certainly be positive at all unis. However, in the case of getting a 2 or lower, would I be disadvantaged when applying to unis such as Oxford (assuming there’s less emphasis there for STEP performance), LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick?

Well if you think you are capable then fine. It does sound like a bit of a heavy load though. In general, if you get a 1, 2 or S in STEP 1 whilst self teaching yourself the core module then you are bound to be noticed by admissions tutors. You would be taking on a lot of work though. What other ASs are you taking?
Reply 2
I'm fairly sure I've seen admissions tutors (probably from Cambridge) saying along the lines of "don't take exams early if you're not going to do well in them".

I'm not sure what the upside is for you; if you were doing the full A2 material anyhow, there's an argument to say "well, you might as well do it to STEP level while you're at it", but if you need to learn A2 as well, it seems a lot to do. It's certainly not worth risking doing badly in your other exams for.

You don't have to decide for about 3 months I think (possibly longer if you're prepared to pay the late fees), so I'd say you need to see how you feel about it nearer to the time.
i really don't see the point of doing it early, especially as you'll have to teach yourself extra stuff.

just concentrate on getting amazing AS grades, then worry about STEP next year when/if it forms part of your uni offer
Original post by twig

I had similar questions to what you have right now back when I started sixth form. I decided to take STEP I and I achieved a grade 1 in the lower sixth. I was told directly that you do not have to declare any STEP results by the head admissions tutor for mathematics at Cambridge so don't worry too much about that. However, remember that you don't want to take STEP unless you're absolutely certain that you will get a high 2 at the very least. It won't look good otherwise and to think you've spent all that time preparing for just to be unable to put it in your UCAS with any sort of confidence is a bit disheartening. It's hard work, particularly if you're not going to be getting much help with it.

The interesting thing is that I'm sitting in the pool for Cambridge rather than holding an offer, even though I have a (fairly high) 1 in STEP I so it may not be that worthwhile after all. It probably helped me to get offers from my other universities though.
Reply 5
Original post by twig

The workload at a top university will always be intense. So, it will provide a good idea of how you perform under pressure, out of your comfort zone. However, not being comfortable with the syllabus is another ball game. STEP requires familiarity with A levels (Specifically C1-C4, M1, M2, S1 and S2). The Further Maths network organises STEP preparatory classes. You can try and attend one of them to get a feel of the questions dexterity. There is also a deadline for the EXAM entrance. So, there's a measure of time.

On the other hand, most budding mathematicians can do STEP 1. The universities mostly request and respect STEP 2, 3. So, its more of a personal exercise considering you would need to meet the grades in 2 and 3. I am applying for an engineering degree and will be sitting STEP 1 and 2 this year. But I have completed and attained an A grade in A level Maths. Weigh it up. STEP is a beast and aimed at the top 2%. I will be attending a STEP class at Warwick University from January 26th. If you dont do well, you can always retake it. But by the time you are applying, it will be pointless since your offer will more than likely request STEP 2. Though you will have familiarity with the exams and preparation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by aurao2003
On the other hand, most budding mathematicians can do STEP 1. The universities mostly request and respect STEP 2, 3.Not really; as far as I'm aware, no university other than Cambridge will normally ask for STEP 2 or STEP 3.
Original post by DFranklin
Not really; as far as I'm aware, no university other than Cambridge will normally ask for STEP 2 or STEP 3.

See the sig for my Imperial offer. A quick look around the maths applicants thread will show that quite a few others are required to take II or III for Imperial too. Although you're completely right in saying that a good performance in STEP I will satisfy almost every university bar Cambridge.
Reply 8
Not really; as far as I'm aware, no university other than Cambridge will normally ask for STEP 2 or STEP 3.

Apologies for any misconception. I place emphasis on respect. A good grade in STEP 2 and 3 will make any application stand out. Especially science or technology based courses. But you are correct that cambridge seems to be the only one requesting it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
See the sig for my Imperial offer. A quick look around the maths applicants thread will show that quite a few others are required to take II or III for Imperial too. Although you're completely right in saying that a good performance in STEP I will satisfy almost every university bar Cambridge.
I'm aware there are a few such offers around, but I'm not sure it rises to "normally".

[I also generally consider Imperial's offers to be somewhat ridiculous - there does often seem to be an element of "Well, your existing/predicted grades are good enough for our standard offer, so we'd better ask you for a higher offer so you still have to do some extra work to get it". Yeah, I'm too cynical].
Reply 10
So, a bad performance in STEP does not have to be declared, and unis can not find out about your performance if it is not stated? Anyone who's has done this care to confirm? If this is so, then I see no harm in taking STEP1 other than the effect of my AS grades. Of course, whether I am allowed by my college is another question.

For STEP, any recommendations for books (other than the a-level textbook) for quickly crunching through A2 calculus/other materials needed? I would prefer books which can be picked up easily without much prior knowledge.

On another note, anyone doing the BMO2 next week? Any links/resources for preparation (other than past papers) ?
I'm aware there are a few such offers around, but I'm not sure it rises to "normally".

[I also generally consider Imperial's offers to be somewhat ridiculous - there does often seem to be an element of "Well, your existing/predicted grades are good enough for our standard offer, so we'd better ask you for a higher offer so you still have to do some extra work to get it". Yeah, I'm too cynical].

I can definitely confirm that there are more imperial offers this year requiring grades in STEP II or III. I have a feeling the gap between cambridge, imperial and oxford mathematics is narrowing by day. To be honest with you, any university can actually rise to the top of the league for maths-provided you have very talented and hardworking students and very dedicated academics-which is what imperial is working towards.
Reply 12
Original post by twig

i was thinking the same thing actually,

i do maths further maths english economics and chemistry at the moment, what is the level of STEP I compared to AS/A2 maths?

EDIT: also, if applying for natural sciences at cambridge / chemistry at oxford, would there be any use in taking them?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by timkench
i was thinking the same thing actually,

i do maths further maths english economics and chemistry at the moment, what is the level of STEP I compared to AS/A2 maths?

EDIT: also, if applying for natural sciences at cambridge / chemistry at oxford, would there be any use in taking them?

I doubt it - especially if you want to do chemistry.
Original post by twig

If you're planning to apply to Cambridge, which will probably ask for STEP II and III grades then the sooner you prepare the better. So working on STEP I stuff now is good. But I don't think a grade in the actual exam will help. The experience of taking the exam may be useful.

Many Cambridge applicants choose Warwick as their insurance. Until this year Warwick asked for a grade 2 in any STEP, so STEP I would do. Cambridge near-misses could be fairly sure of at least one 2. This year's Warwick offer is higher - you either need a STEP grade 1 or an A* in FM. It's getting harder to use Warwick as the insurance. I don't think any another Uni's require STEP, although Imperial does make offers including STEP if you say you're taking it anyway.

Oxford sets its own test. Working on STEP or BMO is going to develop the skills that will help performance on that test, but again I don't think a STEP grade itself will help.
Original post by twig

Sounds like a lot of work, but if you're confident about it, I'd say go for it. A COWI Maths degree is bloody difficult so you might as well get into a habit of working hard (and efficiently) now. I don't think you are required to declare STEP I, but if you do, make sure you do well. Universities could probably find out your STEP I score if inclined, there will be data of who took STEP exams and their mark every year. This has to be executed perfectly though, if you reckon you're not going to get good AS marks as a result, just leave STEP.

Warwick Maths give out offers to 90% of applicants. If you got a 1/2 in STEP I this year, your offer from Warwick next year would be A*AA/A*A*A respectively with no further STEP requirements, thus making them a much safer choice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by innerhollow
Sounds like a lot of work, but if you're confident about it, I'd say go for it. A COWI Maths degree is bloody difficult so you might as well get into a habit of working hard (and efficiently) now. I don't think you are required to declare STEP I, but if you do, make sure you do well. Universities could probably find out your STEP I score if inclined, there will be data of who took STEP exams and their mark every year. This has to be executed perfectly though, if you reckon you're not going to get good AS marks as a result, just leave STEP.

Warwick Maths give out offers to 90% of applicants. If you got a 1/2 in STEP I this year, your offer from Warwick next year would be A*AA/A*A*A respectively with no further STEP requirements, thus making them a much safer choice.

I totally agree with inner hollow. Getting into the routine of working hard is imperative now. I am classified as a potential mature student and will be taking STEP 1 and 2 in addition to 5 modules in June. Its a lot of hard work. But how can you have a slight indication of success on a university course? Its not an overiding factor but a factor. If you can cope with the workload, you are better prepared for university. The Further Maths Network organises STEP tuition. I have started on Wednesday. Get in touch ASAP! All the best once again.
I had similar questions to what you have right now back when I started sixth form. I decided to take STEP I and I achieved a grade 1 in the lower sixth. I was told directly that you do not have to declare any STEP results by the head admissions tutor for mathematics at Cambridge so don't worry too much about that. However, remember that you don't want to take STEP unless you're absolutely certain that you will get a high 2 at the very least. It won't look good otherwise and to think you've spent all that time preparing for just to be unable to put it in your UCAS with any sort of confidence is a bit disheartening. It's hard work, particularly if you're not going to be getting much help with it.

The interesting thing is that I'm sitting in the pool for Cambridge rather than holding an offer, even though I have a (fairly high) 1 in STEP I so it may not be that worthwhile after all. It probably helped me to get offers from my other universities though.

If you sat all three STEP exams, do you have to declare all or none.. i.e. can I declare just II and III even though i sat paper I also since cambridge are only interested in II and III?
Original post by newblood
If you sat all three STEP exams, do you have to declare all or none.. i.e. can I declare just II and III even though i sat paper I also since cambridge are only interested in II and III?

If they choose to verify it (which they probably will if you mention at least one result), they would have access to each of the 3 results so it's probably wise to either state them all or none at all - with the former being the better option if your II/III results are decent.
If they choose to verify it (which they probably will if you mention at least one result), they would have access to each of the 3 results so it's probably wise to either state them all or none at all - with the former being the better option if your II/III results are decent.

Ahh how much would a 1 in STEP I set me back. are they likely to ignore it and just focus on II and III?

Quick Reply

Latest