The Student Room Group

First year @ Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'd love to be a scholar :adore:
ice_cube
And there I was thinking the idea of Cambridge was to do some work and learn... or have I got this completely wrong?!

According to some guy in Varsity this week, you are completely wrong. The idea of Cambridge is to meet loads of people who you can use to get you jobs in money-factories once you graduate.
Okay, firstly, How are you going to get to Cambridge with such a lazy attitude towards studies?
Secondly, if you do get a place, don't you think it's probaboly a good idea to use the time you have there very wisely, to learn as much as you can (which is what they want in an applicant) and to come out with the best degree possible? It's such a priviledge to go somewhere like Cambridge, and I'm sure there are many other people out there who would cut off their right arm to get a place, so if you do get one, I hope you appreciate it!

If you're just asking coz you're scared you'll muck it up and fail, then don't be- you're in one of the best unis in the world, there'll always be a way of getting help...

Laura
L.J
Since he's been asking about CamCORS in another thread, I think he's already at Cambridge :wink:

In that case- he should definately appreciate his position!
How do you know he's being lazy?
Maybe he's just scared he's not coping well with the work.
I read it as fear...

Don't worry about it; you'll be OK - it's surprisingly hard to fail and as long as you don't fail you should be fine :smile: Just try to make sure you work at a fairly constant pace through the year.
Reply 26
MadNatSci
I read it as fear...

Don't worry about it; you'll be OK - it's surprisingly hard to fail and as long as you don't fail you should be fine :smile: Just try to make sure you work at a fairly constant pace through the year.
Fear? What fear? I am having the time of my univeristy life at the moment.

Is no one going to dance with me?
Helenia
It doesn't contribute to your final degree. But if you fail (or even in some circumstances if you piss about all year and get a 3rd) you'll be in some serious trouble.

Medics and vets also have exams with higher pass marks than ordinary Tripos papers, which HAVE to be passed every year.

Hey Helen - which topics do I need for MedSoc? Or otherwise I am learning bloody 50 pages of sociology, which could be better spent on medicine. :mad:
Original post by Helenia
It doesn't contribute to your final degree. But if you fail (or even in some circumstances if you piss about all year and get a 3rd) you'll be in some serious trouble.

Medics and vets also have exams with higher pass marks than ordinary Tripos papers, which HAVE to be passed every year.

For the medics, my understanding is that each undergrad year is separate, yet the 3rd year is generally considered to be the most important of the three, and then it's in clinical school where the marks really start being important in terms of where you're going next. Is this correct? How much of your undergrad grades impact the end result (especially since now there's not the chance of getting moved to a different uni at the end of 3rd year)? Thanks

(also, I'm aware that this thread is over a decade old, but figured that you were still active around the site so was worth a try?)
Original post by ForeverDay
For the medics, my understanding is that each undergrad year is separate, yet the 3rd year is generally considered to be the most important of the three, and then it's in clinical school where the marks really start being important in terms of where you're going next. Is this correct? How much of your undergrad grades impact the end result (especially since now there's not the chance of getting moved to a different uni at the end of 3rd year)? Thanks

(also, I'm aware that this thread is over a decade old, but figured that you were still active around the site so was worth a try?)

Jesus Christ, you bumped a 12-year-old thread!!
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Jesus Christ, you bumped a 12-year-old thread!!

yup

The 3rd year grade is what you put on all your job applications etc, where they ask for "additional degrees."

Your performance in each year contributes to your final decile ranking, which forms a significant part of the points score for foundation programme jobs. However, I don't know how the university weights each year - I know they are all included and clinical years count for more, but no more detail than that. There are also distinctions available in clinical school which get you extra points on job aplications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending