Anyone got offers for Hatfield, Durham? .. or any other colleges for 2004? Watch

This discussion is closed.
presebjenada
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hey, just seeking out new people... I just got an offer to read sociology etc. at Hatfield.. wondered if anyone has any opinions on hatfield as well..
nero076
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
this is connected with your other thread about "rahs"? I think hatfield as rah reputation, apparently its the durham college which all the other durham colleges hate...in a fun way, i am sure
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
I've got an offer from St. Aidans for Comp Sci for 2004!!! I dont really know all that much about Hatfield (only researched the one that I liked and applied to)...but here is a thread with a bit of a review of the durham colleges in it...http://www.uk-learning.net/t20758.html
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeh and check out the unofficial-guides.com website
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I got an offer from st aidens for chem, i heard the same thing about hatfield, but i'm sure its ok really
katiyakat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
2 of my friends have offers for Hatfield, 1 for Trevs, 2 for Van Mildert, 1 for St Johns, 1 for St Aidans, 1 or St Chads, I and another friend have one for Castle. Invasion! Except not really, as several people have elsewhere as their first choice.

One of my 2 prospective Hatfield friends went to the open day on 15th Jan and contrary to her expectations, loved it. It has a reputation of being the most Rah Durham college, but apparently it's not just a Hatfield or Castle thing - they're everywhere, are mostly quite nice and tend to keep themselves to themselves.

Overall it sounds like a nice, fun college - Hatfield Day is supposed to be legendary
presebjenada
Rep:
?
(Original post by katiyakat)
2 of my friends have offers for Hatfield, 1 for Trevs, 2 for Van Mildert, 1 for St Johns, 1 for St Aidans, 1 or St Chads, I and another friend have one for Castle. Invasion! Except not really, as several people have elsewhere as their first choice.

One of my 2 prospective Hatfield friends went to the open day on 15th Jan and contrary to her expectations, loved it. It has a reputation of being the most Rah Durham college, but apparently it's not just a Hatfield or Castle thing - they're everywhere, are mostly quite nice and tend to keep themselves to themselves.

Overall it sounds like a nice, fun college - Hatfield Day is supposed to be legendary
whats hatfield day?
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by presebjenada)
whats hatfield day?
Probably the equivalent of Collingwood's Collingwood Day. It is a whole day celebrating the college. It begins starts at a silly hour in the morning, and involves a lot of games, mischief and alcohol. A lot.

Hatfield does seem to have a tremendous Rah reputation. They are apparently the most terrorised college in Durham.

J.
covered farm wagon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Grey College's Grey Day sounds better, because it rhymes.
presebjenada
Rep:
?
(Original post by hornblower)
Probably the equivalent of Collingwood's Collingwood Day. It is a whole day celebrating the college. It begins starts at a silly hour in the morning, and involves a lot of games, mischief and alcohol. A lot.

Hatfield does seem to have a tremendous Rah reputation. They are apparently the most terrorised college in Durham.

J.
whats so bad about them? i can think of worse types of people
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by presebjenada)
whats so bad about them? i can think of worse types of people
I'm sure you can. There probably isn't anything that bad about them - I was told by the people at Durham that Hatfield people are mocked, light-heartedly of course, probably due to the Rah reputation.

J.
xaviars
Report 16 years ago
Hello,
Yes I am going to hatfield in 2004, can't wait. Have an offer (made an open application), to study physics, AAB.

Look forward to seeing you!
presebjenada
Rep:
?
(Original post by xaviars)
Hello,
Yes I am going to hatfield in 2004, can't wait. Have an offer (made an open application), to study physics, AAB.

Look forward to seeing you!
You too. are you going to one of the open days?
kenkennykenken
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey Xavier, Im going to Durham to study physics too, but at Van Mildert. Im sending off the replies for the open day in a few days' time.
xaviars
Report 16 years ago
I haven't sent my UCAS reply back yet as I have only just received it, so I have no information about the open day that I assume is soon. Do they have a number of Open Day's between now and March?? Although it's quite far away, I will definately be in attendance!
kenkennykenken
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I haven't sent my UCAS reply back yet as I have only just received it, so I have no information about the open day that I assume is soon. Do they have a number of Open Day's between now and March?? Although it's quite far away, I will definately be in attendance!

Oh right, well there is an open day in January next week I think, and another one in March. Ill be going to the one in March. Ill try and find the info booklet about the open days, and ill post it up here asap, most likely tomorrow. It shud be fun. Its 4 hrs away from where I live.
presebjenada
Rep:
?
for Hatfield open days.. there was one in january.. and there are two in march: 22/23 march and 23/24 march 2004

It says... blah blah open days useful to see department.. etc etc .. you will be staying overnight in college with a team of current students.. please arrange to arrive at college between 3.30pm and 4.30pm . after a tour of college there will be an informal discussion in small groups with college tutors. dinner in hall is 7.30pm (formal suits for men). breakfast at 8 - 9am after which you go look round your dep. you need to pay £20 for the privilege and there are very limited number of places, so you have to book as soon as possible.

you could just write them a letter and specify the date you want, otherwise if you wait for a letter, it might be too late. or you could call up... we had to send the slip back to angel scott, senior tutor (hatfield collge, north bailey, durham, DH1 3RQ) or 0191 334 2610

(i apologise for the itricate details.. since you could just call up.. but i have revision to do and im avoiding it!)
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I guess I'll be seeing you at the open days
!
presebjenada
Rep:
?
(Original post by starry)
I guess I'll be seeing you at the open days
!
which dates are you going on? and what are you studying?
Jacs
Report 16 years ago
Can I juat say that although Durham does have it's fair share or "Rahs" you will find them at all the colleges as well as lots of people who aren't rahs too!

I went to St Chds, one of the one's with a rah reputation and despite the fact I went to a comprehensive and was quite worried about whether I would fit in with the public school crowd I had a fabulous time there and wouldn't change it if I had my time again.

Go for the college that has the facilities and location you want...if you are a sociable person you'll have no problems fitting in!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 29 Jun '20
  • Durham University
    Sat, 4 Jul '20
  • Durham University
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you get study leave?