Rahs Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by presebjenada)
what the hell is a rah? this may seem a silly question but what are they, and why are they so bad?
Rahs or Rah Rahs are upper - middle class people, usuallu found at places like Durham University that go around talking at the top of their voices more often than not about Rugby Union. Most of them wont know the rules of the game and could not even name the England front row but it doesnt stop them pretending!
hardcastle
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Honestly, the only reason that all these prejudices against upper middle class public schoolboys even exists is pure feelings of inadequacy, and resentment that stems from said neuroses. I would hasten to agree with an earlier post, and tell these bloody povs, proles, and have-nots to stop bleating about their working-class backgrounds and get on with life! Don't resent your betters, my children, just remember, in all likelihood you'll be up in front of one of us on a charge one day... so stop fagging about and, yes, get back to your coal mines and your clogs!
rah-rah!
house badger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Rah!

Talking about courts etc I do law at Oxford and am from a state school. I also get consistently better grades than the public school people at my college. So maybe one day you'll be up in front of me on a charge and that'll be funny you arrogant posh sh*te!

On a serious note it's the attitude of people like the previous poster that put people of Oxford and Cambridge. DON'T BE PUT OFF PEOPLE!!! There are very few Rahs and they are more of an amusing novelty than anything else (like many things in Oxford). There are many many more very normal people in Oxford.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Surely these Rah's are only stuck up purely because mummy and daddy were too busy shooting and lunching with their "amies" to look after them. They are merely putting on a persona that best illustrates their defiance at being unloved....or they really are just stuck up.
If i meet these people I pretend to be hella posh as well, but really i am just being sarccy
emma_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Such as??

Peapod - northern accents rock! I constantly find myself accidentally copying my physiology partner's accent, and sounding really stupid in the process :rolleyes:
hehehe, when I was at my Oxford interview, there were lots of people from GLasgow, and after an evening with them I almost started talking with a slight accent. I also kept thinking with an accent. Soon wore off... I kind of liked it!
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Arghh!! What's with all this labelling? Anyone can start a thread about goths, geeks, pikey's etc and get an equal amount of criticism...
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by house badger)
Rah!

Talking about courts etc I do law at Oxford and am from a state school. I also get consistently better grades than the public school people at my college. So maybe one day you'll be up in front of me on a charge and that'll be funny you arrogant posh sh*te!

On a serious note it's the attitude of people like the previous poster that put people of Oxford and Cambridge. DON'T BE PUT OFF PEOPLE!!! There are very few Rahs and they are more of an amusing novelty than anything else (like many things in Oxford). There are many many more very normal people in Oxford.
go house badger!!
hardcastle
Report 14 years ago
honestly... this "house badger" character is quite clearly a foul, gauche, possibly nouveau-riche-in-denial cove of the lowest order. I doubt very much whether his claim to being a badger of any house in any public school is true, and furthermore, his proletarian tingle-tangle is complete and utter pish. I personally have little time for upstarts like him taking the rise out of the upper classes just because they feel inferior. Just goes to show what happens when the values of brutality and servitude aren't instilled at school...

PS - I'm doing Law as well... see you in court duckie!
hardcastle
Report 14 years ago
PPS - I would hasten to add that "House Badger" is not representative of the Oxford legal community (I'm a Cambs man but my brother's an Oxonian, and Badger is certainly not what I'm led believe one can expect from Ox. Lawyers)
material breach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hardcastle u really should get out more, the 18th century ended along time ago, your missing out
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
hardcastle u really should get out more, the 18th century ended along time ago, your missing out
Give this guy credit, he's hilarious!
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmm.. so this Rah business only applies to the UK yeh? Coz' where I'm from, the upper middle class don't sound anything like that! Lolz...
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Hmm.. so this Rah business only applies to the UK yeh? Coz' where I'm from, the upper middle class don't sound anything like that! Lolz...
I'm upper middle class and i don't sound like that. It's more the UPPER class
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
I'm upper middle class and i don't sound like that. It's more the UPPER class
Ah okies.. Hmm.. even the upper class don't behave like that over here. The monarchs open doors for us (these are some of the richest kids in the entire WORLD).. lolz.. and they're very nice
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Ah okies.. Hmm.. even the upper class don't behave like that over here. The monarchs open doors for us (these are some of the richest kids in the entire WORLD).. lolz.. and they're very nice
The queen of holland goes shopping on her bicycle all the time...mind you that's just very "dutch" and the people are so liberal if she had a carriage like our queen it would be ripped to shreds
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The upper class of this country are polite respectful and not at all loud, its the nouveau riche upper middle upstarts who begin to realise they have more money than some other people and make that their defining characteristic. The ones that make the most noise and declare their public school superiority are generally those with some sort of inferiority complex about their situation in life. As I think most know, those with the most money rarely talk about it. the true upper classes find discussion about their money/status to be embarassing.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They are also known as Rah Rahs and normally drink alot, speak & laugh very loundly and watch Rugby (Union).
Emma18
Report 14 years ago
Ive just been to see my younger sisters GCSE drama thing, and there was another group of kids with a few rahs!! it was soo funny!!!! (i go to a state school)
but really im sure that rahry people are very nice and perhaps only seeking approval?? you know, they go off to uni where not everyone has come from a private school, and they try to win friends by showing off?? im sure everyone does it, ie, fresher guys who drink competitively huge amounts of beer in their first nights out with new friends??
people will just try to impress others in the best way they know how?!!!
hardcastle
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
I'm well aware of what time it is thankyou...christ on a velocipede (sic)
Oh yes, and kudos to Helenia, I'm amused that you find me hilarious... may I return the comp. by remarking that you have a most comely name?
Any fellow rahs, see you on Sunday (boaters & blazers mandatory); any proles, keep up the good work - we need as much coal as you can mine

pip pip,

hardcastle
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hardcastle)
I'm well aware of what time it is thankyou...christ on a velocipede (sic)
Oh yes, and kudos to Helenia, I'm amused that you find me hilarious... may I return the comp. by remarking that you have a most comely name?
Any fellow rahs, see you on Sunday (boaters & blazers mandatory); any proles, keep up the good work - we need as much coal as you can mine

pip pip,

hardcastle
Why thank you Mr. Hardcastle

I assume that when referring to Sunday, you mean the one and only boat race taking place in London? Unfortunately I will be unable to attend to watch the light blues gain revenge for last year, so I hope that you enjoy the occasion immensely

On a more serious note, Rahs tend to be Upper Middle more than actual Upper (although as any sociologist knows, this classification is no longer used). It's the ones newly into money who like to flash it around, or the public school boys who think that just because they went to Eton etc they are God's gift to this earth. There are far fewer of them than everyone thinks.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (66)
20.06%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (132)
40.12%
Nope, not that interesting (131)
39.82%

Watched Threads