This discussion is closed.
presebjenada
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
what the hell is a rah? this may seem a silly question but what are they, and why are they so bad?
hildabeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by presebjenada)
what the hell is a rah? this may seem a silly question but what are they, and why are they so bad?
Very, very posh ex-public school people. Usually either rugger buggers or pashmina-wearing Tories, and they often have more money than brains. I personally think it's a stupid word, but there you go.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In my interpretation they are posh stuck up people often from public school who think they're better than everyone else, i personally dont mind these people, but sum people hate them. Apparently durham un has lots and oxbridge is over run
katiyakat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Stands for Rich Arse Holes.
Brideshead
Report 16 years ago
There seem to be some very chippy people on this website.
Get over it, you peasants and go back to your clogs.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Brideshead)
There seem to be some very chippy people on this website.
Get over it, you peasants and go back to your clogs.
'Rah!'
magicalsausage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well here in Edinburgh (and the rest of Scotland I think) they're called Yahs because of the fact that they say "Yah" instead of "Yes" of "Yeah" when answering in the affirmative, and often say it for not particular reason. St. Andrews is completely rife with them (especially after Prince William went there) and Edinburgh is similar albeit to a lesser extent.
presebjenada
Rep:
?
(Original post by magicalsausage)
Well here in Edinburgh (and the rest of Scotland I think) they're called Yahs because of the fact that they say "Yah" instead of "Yes" of "Yeah" when answering in the affirmative, and often say it for not particular reason. St. Andrews is completely rife with them (especially after Prince William went there) and Edinburgh is similar albeit to a lesser extent.
and why are they so awful? there are other creatures just as bad if not worse... for example that most feared animal, 'the townie' . why is everyone so against the rah?
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

yeah, everyones rite........i call them rah rah's!! lol
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
and why are they so awful? there are other creatures just as bad if not worse... for example that most feared animal, 'the townie' . why is everyone so against the rah?
I disagree, I find rahs to be far more obnoxious.
Saxman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Mmm. I think a lot of it is imitation. I have a friend at Durham and she says that most of the so-called rahs are actually just faking it, and are more middle-class than she is. All it requires is a certain dress code, ability to disguise the regional accent (easy if you are from London) and spending (not necessarily having) lots of money and generally indulging in conspicuos consumption. The ones who fake it are a lot more obnoxious than those who do it unconsciously as a result of their background, education, upbringings.
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
"rahs" often come from the well known public schools, and in my experience (sadly i mix with lots of rahs) there are more males than females, for example the boys from Rah Rah Radley
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Good old Radley, my school plays them at various sports and they're serious snobs. Once when their team captain came along to our team and he said "there's a curious smell here.... ah, I know what it is, it's the smell of the lower classes". Plus making fun of people for not having double-barrelled names. And I go to an independent school myself, I don't know how they'd cope coming into contact with anyone from a state school.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
". Plus making fun of people for not having double-barrelled names. .
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Good old Radley, my school plays them at various sports and they're serious snobs. Once when their team captain came along to our team and he said "there's a curious smell here.... ah, I know what it is, it's the smell of the lower classes". Plus making fun of people for not having double-barrelled names. And I go to an independent school myself, I don't know how they'd cope coming into contact with anyone from a state school.
I think in those cases they're not actually being serious, they're just being typical stupid rugger buggers.
We don't have too many around Clare, although I am assured that they exist. This makes me worry that I might be one without realising :eek:
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I think in those cases they're not actually being serious, they're just being typical stupid rugger buggers.
Yes that's true, but while they might be being jokey they aren't doing it in a making fun of themselves sort of way, more just playing up to their image because they think it is a good one, if you see what I mean. PS It was a more civilised sport than rugger
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm not at all bothered that my uni might be full of Rahs and I'd constantly feel common with my nortyhern accent - I find them hilarious!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
PS It was a more civilised sport than rugger
Such as??

Peapod - northern accents rock! I constantly find myself accidentally copying my physiology partner's accent, and sounding really stupid in the process :rolleyes:
presebjenada
Rep:
?
(Original post by Peapod)
I'm not at all bothered that my uni might be full of Rahs and I'd constantly feel common with my nortyhern accent - I find them hilarious!
well said..
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Peapod)
I didn't come across anyone at Collingwood who had a northern accent. I didn't meet any Rahs either. Surprising.

J.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (344)
34.75%
No (646)
65.25%

Watched Threads