The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

The Official Carr-Saunders Hall Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Milan.
definitely made a great decision!
as good as home can be, its best to stay out at least the first year! (if not all 3 :tongue:)

saunders, rosebery and passfield have 31 week contract, which can be good for people who live in the UK
its also good during exam time for me, dont want to cook and clean for myself when i gotta work :tongue:

I was wondering whether we could extend our contracts to 40 weeks????
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 81
Original post by aakashsaif

Yes, I've read that you can apply to stay during the vacation periods during the 1st term.
Reply 82
Original post by candii

Original post by candii
Hiya,
You said you got your first choice accommodation. How soon after accommodation opened on Hallpad did you apply
Thanks

cant remember sorry
it was probably a day or two after it opened because i knew i needed to get in there early
Reply 83

yeah you can stay as long as you want, the management at saunders can help you with that if you're staying there
Hopefully i am not repeating someone else's questions because i only scan thru 5 pages of this topic :smile: very sorry if i did ><

I wanna ask if we are allowed fridges in rooms :smile: i mean, Passfield allows personal fridges for £25 a term i heard, i wonder if other halls are the same?
Reply 85
Original post by Loran Aniseed
Hopefully i am not repeating someone else's questions because i only scan thru 5 pages of this topic :smile: very sorry if i did ><

I wanna ask if we are allowed fridges in rooms :smile: i mean, Passfield allows personal fridges for £25 a term i heard, i wonder if other halls are the same?

yep, £10 a term at carr-saunders
Reply 86
hey. im intending to put CS as my first choice. but just to clarify, as long as i apply early, i'll be able to stay over the hols and probably over summer?

'cause i might not be returning to my country over the summer.. the air tickets cost a bomb

thanks
Reply 87
Original post by davidlcf

hey. im intending to put CS as my first choice. but just to clarify, as long as i apply early, i'll be able to stay over the hols and probably over summer?

'cause i might not be returning to my country over the summer.. the air tickets cost a bomb

thanks

yes you can pay more and extend your stay
Reply 88
Original post by Milan.
Hey all

im also at Carr-Saunders halls im the Vice-President for the student committee
i'm happy to answer any questions aswell

i've also been fortunate enough to have visited nearly all other halls and been around them so i can help you compare and contrast them with carr-saunders

Hey, would you be able to give me a comparison between the area around Saunders and that of Rosebery? I don't really know a lot about the different parts of London :confused:
Also, on the LSE website, the bedrooms at Saunders look slightly bigger, is this the case?
Finally, is there any way of seeing pictures of communal areas e.g. common room?
Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 89
Original post by Milan.
yes you can pay more and extend your stay

when u say pay more, do u mean i'll have to pay more than usual? or do i jus pay the usual price which is approx 107 per wk?
Reply 90
Original post by GeeDerrett

Hey, would you be able to give me a comparison between the area around Saunders and that of Rosebery? I don't really know a lot about the different parts of London :confused:
Also, on the LSE website, the bedrooms at Saunders look slightly bigger, is this the case?
Finally, is there any way of seeing pictures of communal areas e.g. common room?
Thanks! :biggrin:

the Saunders area is definitely better
within 10 mins walk you have totenham court road, oxford street and all of the surrounding area including regents park, look on google maps
theres plenty of supermarkets, liecester square picadilly circus is 15 mins walk which means on a night out you have the option of taking anything from walking, 1 bus, 1 tube journey or taxi that will cost less
there are plenty of bars and clubs nearby, soho is busy every night and saunders tend to go to soho quite a bit which is 10-15 mins walk
UCL is nearby, if you have any friends that go to ucl or you want to go to ucl events then its 5 min walk and 2 ucl halls are nextdoor

rosebery is in a decent area aswell, angel, opposite the sadlers wells theatre theres so many places to go and see around rosebery, i cant really answer this in detail becuase ive been to rosebery and inside to see people lols not really explored its area, it has buses everywhere and one advantage rosebery has over saunders is the straight bus from rosebery to lse! which sometimes when im late for lectures i really could have done with!!
if you want a nice lengthy detailed description, ask this on the rosebery thread

theres no new updated pictures online which is a shame... i could take some pictures when i go back there, around june, check back and maybe one night when empty i'll take some pics :tongue:
Reply 91
when u say pay more, do u mean i'll have to pay more than usual? or do i jus pay the usual price which is approx 107 per wk?

hmmm, to be honest i dont know, better off asking the saunders staff
Reply 92
Original post by Milan.
the Saunders area is definitely better
within 10 mins walk you have totenham court road, oxford street and all of the surrounding area including regents park, look on google maps
theres plenty of supermarkets, liecester square picadilly circus is 15 mins walk which means on a night out you have the option of taking anything from walking, 1 bus, 1 tube journey or taxi that will cost less
there are plenty of bars and clubs nearby, soho is busy every night and saunders tend to go to soho quite a bit which is 10-15 mins walk
UCL is nearby, if you have any friends that go to ucl or you want to go to ucl events then its 5 min walk and 2 ucl halls are nextdoor

rosebery is in a decent area aswell, angel, opposite the sadlers wells theatre theres so many places to go and see around rosebery, i cant really answer this in detail becuase ive been to rosebery and inside to see people lols not really explored its area, it has buses everywhere and one advantage rosebery has over saunders is the straight bus from rosebery to lse! which sometimes when im late for lectures i really could have done with!!
if you want a nice lengthy detailed description, ask this on the rosebery thread

theres no new updated pictures online which is a shame... i could take some pictures when i go back there, around june, check back and maybe one night when empty i'll take some pics :tongue:

Thanks very much for the detailed reply! Hopefully I'll have time on Tuesday while I'm up for the open day to have a look at the area around Saunders :smile:
Was certain about Rosebery this morning but completely changed my mind now haha x
Reply 93

for christmas and easter you pay the same weekly rent and extend your stay. however students are not offered these halls for the summer. for summer if you have a very strong reason they could give you a room at some other hall most probably sidney webb butg not at any other.

if you want a 50 week contract check out UoL halls, i guess international hall has 50 weeks contract.
Reply 94

Thanks very much for the detailed reply! Hopefully I'll have time on Tuesday while I'm up for the open day to have a look at the area around Saunders :smile:
Was certain about Rosebery this morning but completely changed my mind now haha x

nice!
althought high holborn and the intercollegiate halls in russel square all boast the same great area
roseberry has a really good area too!
i just know more about saunders's area for obvious reasons
i spent time exploring near the start of this year too
so many hidden things in the area!
Original post by Milan.
cant remember sorry
it was probably a day or two after it opened because i knew i needed to get in there early

hey milan,

I didn't realise it was first come first served?
I wanted to ask which area you thought was generally safer for walking around at night- Carr Saunders or Bankside? I've heard that parts of south london are a bit dodge but since bankside is near the tate gallery maybe its in one the nicer parts?

Reply 96
Original post by ashleyb123

Original post by ashleyb123
hey milan,

I didn't realise it was first come first served?
I wanted to ask which area you thought was generally safer for walking around at night- Carr Saunders or Bankside? I've heard that parts of south london are a bit dodge but since bankside is near the tate gallery maybe its in one the nicer parts?

both have bad and good things
youll hear bad stories about saunders and bankside
they're as safe as you make them!
just be smart about walking around late at night and by yourself

its all london after all, and crime happens!
Reply 97
Original post by Milan.

Original post by Milan.
both have bad and good things
youll hear bad stories about saunders and bankside
they're as safe as you make them!
just be smart about walking around late at night and by yourself

its all london after all, and crime happens!

Is it first come first serve? I read that its a lottery based system... why did u have to apply early?
Reply 98
Original post by solo443

Original post by solo443
Is it first come first serve? I read that its a lottery based system... why did u have to apply early?

dont know if its first come first serve, just apply early so you hear earlier
Reply 99
Original post by Milan.

Original post by Milan.
dont know if its first come first serve, just apply early so you hear earlier

Wudnt u get to hear from them at the same time if its a lottery system?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending