Too skinny for Rugby? Watch

fishy466
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Im 5 foot 9 and weigh about 130-135 pounds (59-60 kg). But my main attribute is my pace and speed. I dont look really skinny, but I do look lean.

I Kind of have Di Maria's build (real madrid football player) but look slightly bigger than him.

Its annoying, because I know in my heart I can pace people completely and have done so all the time in the past cause my agility levels are through the roof. Im now going to uni where everyone is going to be a lot bigger and older than me (Im 18).

Plus I normally get underestimated at trials and have in the past not made teams because people think i am too small and thin.
Cadarn
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
play on the wing..............
Einheri
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Stop *****ing, start lifting.
Carpediemxx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Have you tried going to the gym? An extra 5kg of muscle can make a huge difference. Being so light, you might get injured easier as uni rugby players are going to be a lot heavier than you
fishy466
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Carpediemxx)
Have you tried going to the gym? An extra 5kg of muscle can make a huge difference. Being so light, you might get injured easier as uni rugby players are going to be a lot heavier than you
You wouldn't think I was that skinny looking at me, but just skinny for rugby. I probably will take up going to the gym. hopefully that will work.
Smilingsam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hm best building some muscle up if you were smaller you would be great as you can easily move without other players catching you.
Inersha
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Eat more.
Innominate
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by fishy466)
Im 5 foot 9 and weigh about 130-135 pounds (59-60 kg). But my main attribute is my pace and speed. I dont look really skinny, but I do look lean.

I Kind of have Di Maria's build (real madrid football player) but look slightly bigger than him.

Its annoying, because I know in my heart I can pace people completely and have done so all the time in the past cause my agility levels are through the roof. Im now going to uni where everyone is going to be a lot bigger and older than me (Im 18).

Plus I normally get underestimated at trials and have in the past not made teams because people think i am too small and thin.
Bulk up and start lifting.
aion4217
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The in-form Chinese shook off Azarenka's ear-piercing shrieks and shifted to high gear in the fifth game of the second set, her pinpoint ground strokes sending her opponent all over the court. She extended her lead to 4-2 with a love game in the sixth and held on to wrap up the match in 84 minutes as the younger rival had no answer to her incisive drives.

Compared to their imposing run in the singles, Chinese players have not done so well in the doubles competition, all of them crashing out in the third round. Second seed Kveta Peschke and Katarina Srebotnik saw off Peng Shuai and Shahar Peer 6-2, 7-6 (7-3) while American pair Raquel Kops-Jones and Abigail Spears beat 10th seed Yan Zi and Monica Niculescu earlier on Saturday.
jyarrow93
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It all depends on your position and your ability to tackle, if you are failing to bring down big players then I would suggest bulking up, however this can cause you to some of your pace so be careful not to overdo it. If you are an inside centre the modern game requires you to be built a little better in order to make the crashing runs expected at elite level to free up the guys outside you.

Some of the best players I have played with have been of a similar build to you, it's just the English rfu have drilled it into all of their coaches that you have to be a minimum of 6ft tall and be able to put up big numbers in the gym, but look at the all blacks and Conrad Smith, not what you would call the biggest outside centre playing the game but arguably the best
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You will have to make sure your technique is absolutely top notch in both attack and defence. Pace can only do so much at a decent level.
I was quicker than many people when I was younger but the impacts were not good for me due to a poor tackling technique. I added about 2.5 stones of muscle, kept my pace but the extra strength allowed me to break challenges easier as well as giving me more confidence to stop others.

You really need to think about what you can do to get your body to stand up to high impact rugby.
april_happy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sounds like you'd be perfect on the wing.
Trials dont ordinarily judge you by your measurements, its about your specific skills and how valuable you will be to their team as a player.
Go for it =)
LankyJosh
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I play for my local team. I'm 15 and 6.2ft and lean. I have zero fat but a lot of muscle for my build, my main attribute is using my height as my equal against the heavy players and as putting on muscle with a skinny build is incredibly hard, I work on my pace and can out run most other players. It's vital to put on some muscle for rugby tho, if it's too hard then my advice is work on pace.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (171)
53.44%
18-20 years old (no) (38)
11.88%
20-25 years old (yes) (51)
15.94%
20-25 years old (no) (5)
1.56%
25-30 years old (yes) (20)
6.25%