med school interviews.what r they like? Watch

This discussion is closed.
candybabe
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i applied for medicine but still waiting for interviews...that's if i do get it.lol.got good grades n all, but am an international student,which makes it a zillion times harder...well, almost.
any of you have already had your med school interviews? what was it like?
what kinda stuff did they ask n what schools interviewed you.....
every1 always says the interview is real important and that just makes me afraid i'm gonna botch it up...sigh....
my top choice in newcastle..for some reason, then there's also manchester ......
cheers to my survival.lol.thanx.
spam
Report 16 years ago
go to http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/forum its got everything you want to know!!
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by candybabe)
any of you have already had your med school interviews? what was it like?
I had a couple of interviews at Oxford but the interview style there is very much different compared to the majority of other medical schools so I wont dwell on it I did however have one at King's College London and it was completely fine, the only thing I didn't like was getting nervous (but that was inevitable ). As long as you are prepared you'll be absolutely fine. Know your personal statement back to front so that you will be able to answer any questions about it. Also be up to date with current issues (the BBC Health website is very good) and the current situation with the NHS (e.g. foundation hospitals). Also have a think about what you want to say when they ask 'typical' questions like "Why medicine? Why do you want to come here?"

Otherwise it really is common sense, giving your opinions to sometimes unknown topics. Don't worry about ethical questions because there are no right answers - just give your opinion and back it up with your beliefs/evidence. If you don't know the answer don't worry, just say "I'm not sure but my first instinct would be to say..." The important thing is to try to portray your enthusiasm as much as possible and try to stay calm. They are not trying to catch you out - even if they are looking unreceptive don't worry, some of them have been told not to use facial expressions to see how you react. Just smile and relax... Good luck !
SAM*
Report 16 years ago
Hey Lucy! How did your chemistry go today? i finally finished my chemistry coursework today my exams are officially over!!!
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
Hey Lucy! How did your chemistry go today? i finally finished my chemistry coursework today my exams are officially over!!!
Hello ! It was alright, the way I see it is that I can always retake (hopefully not though )! I'm just glad it's all over (for now). Woohoo @ finishing your coursework, unfortunately for me my chem coursework is only beginning... oh well, more stress to look forward to :eek:
SAM*
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
Hello ! It was alright, the way I see it is that I can always retake (hopefully not though )! I'm just glad it's all over (for now). Woohoo @ finishing your coursework, unfortunately for me my chem coursework is only beginning... oh well, more stress to look forward to :eek:
Seriously this year has been the most stressful i've ever been i've been crying and all sorts i'm takin this weekend to just chillout properly cause its all backup and running again from monday! wot chem board are u doin? i am one of the unfortunate ones stuck with salters OCR its a nightmare!!
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
Seriously this year has been the most stressful i've ever been i've been crying and all sorts i'm takin this weekend to just chillout properly cause its all backup and running again from monday! wot chem board are u doin? i am one of the unfortunate ones stuck with salters OCR its a nightmare!!
Ah yes, I'm going to take much pleasure this weekend in doing nothing ... until Sunday, when I will have to start on my huge backdraft of homework (but I'm not going to think about that yet!)

I am unfortunately doing the Edexcel version of Salters, i.e. the horrific Nuffield course. Both are supposed to be pretty nasty, poor us :eek: Did you take some modules this Jan as well then?
SAM*
Report 16 years ago
Yes! i had one on the morning of the 21st- i was so annoyed because i revised so hard for the steel section (i.e rusting, d-block metals, complexes, etc) and there was hardly anything on it! how was yours?
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
Yes! i had one on the morning of the 21st- i was so annoyed because i revised so hard for the steel section (i.e rusting, d-block metals, complexes, etc) and there was hardly anything on it! how was yours?
A large section on organic - very confusing - took me a good 20 minutes to figure out what on earth was going on ! Otherwise, I'm not sure if my answers were detailed enough but it was a fair exam I think . Did you take any non-chem modules this Jan?
SAM*
Report 16 years ago
Yeah i had Biology(medium/hard) and Statistics S2 (ok) how bout u?
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
Yeah i had Biology(medium/hard) and Statistics S2 (ok) how bout u?
Ah right, I just had M1 (last Friday) which was ok I think. I really can't tell how I perform in my exams so it's just fingers crossed !
SAM*
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
Ah right, I just had M1 (last Friday) which was ok I think. I really can't tell how I perform in my exams so it's just fingers crossed !
yeah i know wot u mean when i tink i've done ok i do bad and when i tinks the worlds over i don't do so bad! was M1 a retake? i had that last year and jus scraped a B i fould it so hard!
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
yeah i know wot u mean when i tink i've done ok i do bad and when i tinks the worlds over i don't do so bad! was M1 a retake? i had that last year and jus scraped a B i fould it so hard!
What board do you use for maths? Because we use OCR which is supposedly easier than Edexcel. M1 wasn't a retake, for my AS I did P1, P2 and S1 (yuck, hate stats) and this year I'm taking P3 (the evil of all my modules), M1 and M2. I didn't find M1 too bad - I really struggled with the module at the beginning but then it started to click for some reason I think it would have been much harder if I hadn't taken Physics though. Which modules have you taken and which ones are you taking this year?
SAM*
Report 16 years ago
cool! we do Edexcel its ok but i dunno whether its easier/harder than OCR! i done P1, M1 AND S1 last year and this year i've done S2, P2 and am doing P3 (i have a really poor pure teacher- amazing mathmetician but very poor teacher consequently i am sufferrin in P2 and P3)! i get wot u mean bout the 'clicking' thing with mechanics it was certainly true for me because i never understood it all year, yet a week before the exam things started to move into place! So are you doin physics, chemistry, maths dis year? wot other AS/A2 did/are you doing?
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
cool! we do Edexcel its ok but i dunno whether its easier/harder than OCR! i done P1, M1 AND S1 last year and this year i've done S2, P2 and am doing P3 (i have a really poor pure teacher- amazing mathmetician but very poor teacher consequently i am sufferrin in P2 and P3)! i get wot u mean bout the 'clicking' thing with mechanics it was certainly true for me because i never understood it all year, yet a week before the exam things started to move into place! So are you doin physics, chemistry, maths dis year? wot other AS/A2 did/are you doing?
That's pretty nasty having to do P2 and P3 in one year - P3 is horrific enough! Yep I'm taking bio, chem, maths & physics this year and I did a french AS last year. The workload isn't too bad, it's just the stress of university applications and Jan modules which really irks me !
SAM*
Report 16 years ago
Wow impressive! i have to go but will probably chat to u soon!x
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
Wow impressive! i have to go but will probably chat to u soon!x
ok, ttysoon !
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
28.57%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
14.29%
No- I want it (3)
42.86%
No- I don't want it (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads