The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by misscharli
Hi,

Im just wondering if anybodys learnt to drive in an automatic and how many lessons they needed until they could take their test?

About the same as you would on a manual transmission :smile:

The only thing that is easier is there isn't anything to worry about in regards to clutch control especially in regard to hill start.

My advice is unless you've got a genuine reason to learn it on an automatic, do it on a manual...... you can buy an automatic car later on.

Reason being is you will never know of a situation where you'll be required in an emergency to drive and the only thing available is a manual.
Reply 2
Many people use the automatic test as an easy way out but tbh it's not such a bad idea.

I dont see the problem of buying automatic cars for the rest of your life, it'll be very unlikely that your going to have to drive a manual car after you've passed. So if it makes things easier for you i dont see the problem :biggrin:
Reply 3
Honestly, learn on a manual. There may come a day when you really regret/find it a real nuisance only having a licence for an automatic. Manuals are really not difficult to get the hang of - it's getting the hang of using the roads that's the hard bit.
Reply 4
Original post by misscharli
Hi,

Im just wondering if anybodys learnt to drive in an automatic and how many lessons they needed until they could take their test?

why would you learn on an automatic, means that you will have to do your test again if you wanna drive a manual. Also unless you are pretty rich and can buy cars brand new all your life its gonna be hard to get a good second hand automatic car as they arent gonna be as common. I would learn using a manual car and then you have to option to do both in the future
I'm learning in a manual at the moment, and getting really stressed out with myself and the gears. People keep telling me it'll come to me, but it really isn't getting any easier! I would see how you go in a manual first, and then if you really can't get the hang of it, switch to an Automatic. However, if you'll be driving an Automatic afterwards (i.e. your parents have one/ you're buying yourself one) then I would just learn in an automatic, and you'll get used to the roads at least. But, as someone has said, it'll probably take roughly the same amount of time as it would in a manual.
I would of thought it would take a lesson or two less seeing as you don't have to worry about the clutch/gears
Reply 7
I have tried lessons in a manual car but just cannot do it. Im a very nervous driver too so i think driving an automatic would be much easier for me. I really need to pass my test soon too and i know it would take me forever to learn to drive a manual. I only want to drive automatics and the car i want you can get second hand for less than £2000 so thats not really an issue.
Thanks for the advice. Would still like to know if anyones had automatic driving lessons and how many lessons they needed.
just learn on a manual
Original post by Iorek
About the same as you would on a manual transmission :smile:

The only thing that is easier is there isn't anything to worry about in regards to clutch control especially in regard to hill start.

My advice is unless you've got a genuine reason to learn it on an automatic, do it on a manual...... you can buy an automatic car later on.

Reason being is you will never know of a situation where you'll be required in an emergency to drive and the only thing available is a manual.

I agree.
Id learn in a manual. Then if you really want to drive an automatic, you can. But if you learn in an automatic you can only drive automatic.
Reply 10
Learn to drive Manual.. trust me, if you learn automatic first, you'll regret it. If you pass driving manual, you can drive automatic cars, but doesn't work vise versa...
Reply 11
I agree with learning in a manual. The gears etc do come to you eventuially, some people are quicker than others. How long have you been learning in a manual?
Reply 12
Whoever says the clutch/gear control isnt coming to them, keep going and it will eventually, it was weird, one lesson 3 or so months after i started, i just miraculously went from terrible to good right from the start of the lesson to the end of the lesson, i was amazed with myself, it was quite weird at the time, since the week before i was driving terribly. Stick it out, it will come eventually, everything just sort of clicks into place at some magical point during the learning phase :smile: It was also roughly the time I became calm and relaxed whilst driving... when you're still nervous a bit or thinking about driving too much it can be hard to control the clutch and gears, once you chill out and just driving around without thinking and letting your feet and hands just do the work it all just becomes second nature.. Passed manual 2nd time when i was 17 (1major+minor then just 1minor :tongue:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Honestly, learn in a manual. I'm almost certain that at some point in your life you'll need to drive one.
Reply 14
It's interesting reading this. It's an old post but I think it may be worth replying in 2015. I started learning in a manual, dreaded every lesson. And then something interesting happened, it turned out Diesel car companies had been lying about their emissions, this caused the price of diesel and therefore manual cars to skyrocket.
Automatic lessons suddenly became cheaper than manual lessons. Seeing as noone has actually answered the question it takes roughly a 30hrs of lessons to pass a manual test. It takes 10hrs in an automatic. 30 lessons or 10 lessons in a world where soon most cars will be hybrids, where manual are becoming increasingly less common.
I think the only downsides would be you couldn't hire a van and you probably wouldn't be able to get a hire car if yours breaks down.
Tried to go on a Automatic car before and found it extremely boring to drive.
Learn on a Manual it's really worth it -
opps just realised this thread is 4 year old
Reply 16
Hey, don't worry, I just did the same thing.
I personally am learning in an automatic because A: it's cheaper B: takes less time and C: I don't want it to be a challenge, I'm going to be driving every day for a few years to come so I need to be aware of what's cheapest and easiest on these disabled limbs of mine.
Many cars are hybrids now and the future is leaning towards automatics more than manuals.
I'm 50, never drive in my life but I really been thinking about taking automatic lessons . But I'm going be soo nerves .there so many cars now days .but my grandson autistic. And his mum a single parent with two other children . I no she never do driving lessons .so was thinking going do it myself .do you think I'm to old to learn ??
Reply 18
Original post by Tricia stephen
I'm 50, never drive in my life but I really been thinking about taking automatic lessons . But I'm going be soo nerves .there so many cars now days .but my grandson autistic. And his mum a single parent with two other children . I no she never do driving lessons .so was thinking going do it myself .do you think I'm to old to learn ??

You're never too old! Granted it will be a little more difficult but so long as you pass health and eye tests it shouldn't be a problem :smile:
Reply 19
If you enjoy pressing the clutch down and changing the gears every two seconds, as you will on today's overcrowded roads, go manual.
I used to drive manual cars, but now drive automatic, they are much easier and relaxing to drive.
Much cheaper and quicker to pass in an automatic.
They are everywhere now.

Latest

Trending

Trending