The Student Room Group

Iraq inquiry: Your reaction

Former Prime Minister Tony Blair is to be questioned for a second time by the Iraq inquiry examining the UK's role in the 2003 war. Will you be following his evidence?

He is expected to be asked about apparent discrepancies between his previous evidence and comments by former Attorney General Lord Goldsmith, who told the inquiry he was 'uncomfortable' about statements made by the then PM before the conflict.

When he first appeared before the panel in January 2010, Mr Blair said he had "no regrets" about having taken the UK to war and believed the world was a safer place after Saddam Hussein had been overthrown.

What questions should the inquiry be asking? How do you think Tony Blair will handle the questioning? What do you think the inquiry will achieve?

More...
Reply 1
I do not really see the point of the inquiry. If it does turn out that Blair mislead the public will he be put on trial?
Reply 2
Is it true Mr Blair that your decision to go to war with Iraq was motivated by your religious inclinations to further the aims of the New World Order?
this is getting interesting.

btw, I really cant believe at Blair still maintains his deadly decision to take Britain to war.

Epic denial of civilian casualties right there :/
Reply 4
Original post by Electrodude
this is getting interesting.

btw, I really cant believe at Blair still maintains his deadly decision to take Britain to war.

Epic denial of civilian casualties right there :/

You can tell he thinks it was the wrong thing to do, you can see that he now knows it was a big mistake. But he's a politician, and like a typical politician he is sticking to his word.
Even the part when he said if he had a majority of the security on his side, it would make the war a little more legit even though he still wouldn't have got full support. But that's the point, he and bush didn't have a majority! And all this, well what if we didn't oust saddam, would he now me making weapons of mass destruction. Given the worlds economic and social situation and iraqs situation, I highly doubt it.
Reply 5
Pointless enquiry, we all know he's guilty of treason and war crimes and he knows it as well. The only good thing to come out of it is that his cherished 'legacy' will be one of the most despised warmongering prime ministers ever.
Waste of time, if you ask me. It gives the master of all this, Tony Blair, to add to the hysteria he created by voicing his 'concerns' over Iran and the Middle East.

Nothing is going to happen to him or to any of the other people that led Britain into this conflict, nothing. All that will come out from this is a pointless document. If the oppurtunity for war arises again, this goverrnment will jump at the chance, no doubt.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by garethDT
Pointless enquiry, we all know he's guilty of treason and war crimes and he knows it as well. The only good thing to come out of it is that his cherished 'legacy' will be one of the most despised warmongering prime ministers ever.

This essentially
He's not guilty of treason nor any war crimes. Anyway, I agree and shares his sentiments in regards to regretting the civilian casualties as well as urging the west not to apologise for their actions in Iraq (as a whole, some countries should obviously apologise for the disrespect of innocent civilians lives) but disagree with his views in regards to Iran.
Our Tobes, if he is reading this, go get'em tigerrrrr grrr

Quick Reply

Latest